Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Photo pricing help needed

Hi all,

Have the opportunity to make a sale to an interior designer for placement of images in a hospital being built -- the interior designer has asked about pricing but wants a flat price for the image file to be used by her printer regardless of the size they print at. Other than local fairs and an occasional stock sale by my old stock agent I have been effectively out of the photography world for about ten years now and am not sure what kind of price to give her. She intends to supplement with or use entirely stock photographs if she doesn't like the price -- although she has incentive to use some of my images as I am close to the client who hired her (yes, a bit of nepotism never hurts). In effect, I am being asked to give a stock price for fine art prints. Price by end size range? Give one price for any size use with volume tiers for number of images chosen (if so what is a good range)? Sizes will range from 12x24/16x20 to 34x58 or thereabouts if that matters.

Any thoughts appreciated!!

06-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are using one photo in many rooms, or multiple photos? How many uses of the photo are planned? (I'm not an expert on this, but trying to get some more idea about the use.)
06-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
It would be multiple photos used in multiple rooms.
06-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why not just ask--"what do you usually pay"?
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
She intends to supplement with or use entirely stock photographs
So, it probably won't be much. If you want to get into the photo decor business, this probably isn't your best approach.

06-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
So, it probably won't be much. If you want to get into the photo decor business, this probably isn't your best approach

I know -- your probably right. I didn't ask because I got the distinct impression her "lab" uses royalty free images and she was only entertaining the purchase because she had to.
06-07-2018, 11:04 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest taking a look at Alamy.com or iStock / BigStock etc and seeing what they charge for the file size that you will be providing to your client. That would be an indication of what she would have to pay out in the marketplace for images. Then you can use that as a starting place and decide what discount (if any) you want to apply. I assume this is a one-off situation not something with on-going opportunities so take that into consideration. Best of Luck - that is a great opportunity for having your images presented to the public.
06-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll give that a try.