Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
License and pricing help needed

I'm an amateur that might have an opportunity to provide some thunderstorm time lapses for a BBC documentary. I asked about their licensing and the response was:

"As this documentary is going to be an online release, we’ll be looking for rights in all media, worldwide in perpetuity (which just means we’re allowed to keep the shots in the program- it’s not an exclusivity thing)." Does the perpetuity condition mean I should charge more? I have little experience doing this, so any help about what this means exactly from those that have gone through this would be much appreciated.

I'm also not sure about the price. The two time lapses I have in mind are only 5-10 seconds long but can be provided in 4K and are of sufficient quality I think to at least charge something. I need help with getting in the ballpark.

1080p and H.264 versions of the timelapses can be seen on my vimeo site (but I would provide 4K and ProRes versions to the Production company):

Thanks!

06-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How many hours did it take? What’s your time worth?

Article: How Much Should Photographers Charge In 2018? - Photography Business, Marketing Strategy Blog and Podcast
06-11-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it were me, I'd ask $2,000 USD. Remember, tax will be taken out too.

Very nice work by the way!
07-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by mconwxdr Quote
Does the perpetuity condition mean I should charge more?
Think of it like renting a car ...
If you rent a car for 1 day or 1 week - which costs more? If you rent it for a year, would Avis charge you more???
You are essentially renting your video to BBC for ... ever!
Also, as is noted in your post, "perpetuity" does not equal "exclusivity". Therefore you can still make $ from the videos via other sources.

Short answer ... YES you should charge more :-D

07-28-2018, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mconwxdr Quote
... I asked about their licensing and the response was:

"As this documentary is going to be an online release, we’ll be looking for rights in all media, worldwide in perpetuity (which just means we’re allowed to keep the shots in the program- it’s not an exclusivity thing)."
Thanks!
They say it is "not an exclusivity thing", so make sure the grant of rights says "nonexclusive rights".. That way you can use it yourself, and sell it to another party as well.
Also, they say "which just means we’re allowed to keep the shots in the program", so they do not want to pay for the right to use it outside of the program. You could ask that the rights be "not sublicensable".
Ask them to tell you their usual rates. The value to you exceeds what they pay, if you can write off the cost of your equipment on your income tax.

Last edited by weverka; 08-01-2018 at 09:01 PM.
08-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advice everyone!