Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a shame we can't talk about DPreview here...

I was interested in the history of their negative reviews of Pentax cameras; and their last lens review in 2009 where they also got it spectacularly wrong (DA15 merely 'OK'...). I recently LEFT there site permanently after being a regular reader since the late 90's because of their extremely biased and bad review of the K1ii, and their refusal to re-evaluate the camera even after being caught in complete and total incompetence in the testing of it.

I think this is one of the reasons this place continues to thrive and exist.

Sincerely,
Cameron

06-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can, as long as the discussion doesn't turn it to a flame war. Seems to be a very sensitive spot for many!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2018, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

No one is preventing the topic. But like Adam said it's a sore spot, and as many think, including myself, it's a waste of time.

It's like going back and counting up the number of times you got wronged by someone starting in the 4th grade.

We all know they are bias. That's good enough. Why dwell on it?
06-13-2018, 09:38 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Part of it is that Rishi, (the reviewer,) created an account here to respond once or twice in a flame war over something he wrote. To my knowledge, he has never posted since, but the mods are careful that anything that may be construed as a personal attack on another member is verboten. I have mixed feelings about this since it can hamper an honest discussion but like the fact that this forum keeps the nastiness that is so prevalent in internet discussions away from here. (Usually ) I think I prefer it since it helps me try to think in a more polite fashion before posting.

06-13-2018, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Talking about DPR is distinctly different than creating a repository of bad reviews. Perhaps someone keenly interested in this
could create their own site focused on compiling and debunking DPRs Pentax reviews. It will be a challenge, as DPR have
a history of rewriting and/or erasing their own history. Perhaps the wayback machine would be of use:

Wayback Machine

It is interesting to look back when DPR actually reviewed stuff.
06-13-2018, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Nothing against it, but this kind of topic would probably be more in its place in the DPR forum section than here...
06-13-2018, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As Adam said, we can discuss DPReview. We can discuss Rishi's reviews and handling of responses, too - but we won't allow rude / inflammatory remarks or personal attacks. By my reckoning, that gives us an awful lot of scope for constructive, civilised discussion, with no need to descend into nastiness. Frankly, whether someone is a member or not, I see nothing positive in ripping into them. It does nothing for our own reputation, and in any case I think we're better than that here

06-13-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not so sure it's a sensitive spot, it's more that for those of us to use the gear, we can read a whole review, and not identify anything in the whole review that in any way reflects our user experience. People do tend to react to that. Essentually, they are like certain members now on my ignore list who almost never say something I can agree with. I've spent enough time trying to have a decent discussion, that at some point you just say, "well, this just isn't working out."

DPReveiew is the first camera site I've ever put on my website "ignore" list. Most places sooner or later have a fair review. I'm at the point with DPR where not only do I not want to read them, nothing good comes of it, but I don't like it when people quote them. It's almost always is something useless and inflammatory that provides no useful information that tells people why they should use Pentax, or provides any insight into how to use the camera.

Unfortunately I've come to hold people who quote their inflammatory nonsense in almost as low regard as the site itself. Dealing with their particular brand of innuendo, back handed compliments, and out right lies, as in "star eater on steroids" is a chore. An un-necessary chore I'd prefer to avoid.

Given their track record, I fail to see why any Pentax user would believe a thing they say. Their conclusions are not supported by their data, they use out right lies as click bait. They are the National Inquirer of photography websites. They are the absolute worst of what "fake science" can provide.

Ya, I might be a bit sensitive. That's because they've created a sore spot on my sensibilities and they just keep rubbing it trying to raise a blister.

All in the name of saving Pentax users from Pentax. As if they know what's good for us more than we ourselves do.

Most of us would rather just ignore the than to have to point things like this out, over and over again.

You have this website which seems to be in part devoted to trying to rid the world of Pentax. Why would any of us be at all opposed to that? Please.
06-13-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Talking about DPR is distinctly different than creating a repository of bad reviews.
...and bad talk and bad DPR forum posts and other things that would become an endless rant and which would solidify a selective perception of PF members as incredibly difficult and self-focused Pentax fan-boys.

Steve
06-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Nothing against it, but this kind of topic would probably be more in its place in the DPR forum section than here...

ROFL!

Quite likely there will soon be an equivalent post over there as well. (There is nothing as of a few minutes ago.)

Steve
06-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was about to answer yesterday's thread - typing from mobile, on top of that - when it got shut down.
I think we should't fight negativity with negativity.
Karma is your friend, both if you are Buddhist/Hinduist etc. and if you aren't (it's called "peace of mind" or somesuch in the latter case )

There, inb4 the lock!
06-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can, as long as the discussion doesn't turn it to a flame war. Seems to be a very sensitive spot for many!
My topic was closed and there was no flaming or anything. It doesn't seem as its allowed by other admins.
06-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
My topic was closed and there was no flaming or anything. It doesn't seem as its allowed by other admins.
OK, here's the thing. IN the opinion of many, DPR is not fair accurate or scientific, but they are devious. It takes a lot of work by forum members to straighten out what they do. And then we get them inspiring folks like MJKloski, who require a lot more effort to dispel.

So given the amount of work required by discussing them, where is the review as posted on DPR that would make discussing them further worth the pain?

I've totally given up on them. But if you can find some "socially redeeming importance" I'll be happy to change my mind. If you want to discuss them, it should be on you to correct their devious anti-Pentax slant. Are you willing to do that?

Personally, i find their brand of pseudo science hogwash to be repulsive. As in sickening.

Make your case. What does DPR bring to the table that isn't done better and more honestly by other sites?

Anyone wants to discuss DPR can do it over there, wait, no you can't. they'll censor you then ban you. They are the Adolh Hitlers of photography websites.

I mean what kind of people defame product on line and then delete and ban criticism of their work. Evil people. Evil I say.

The first goal of evil individuals, is to try and eliminate legitimate dissent. These individuals are so weak, the tiny little bit of power they have has corrupted them.

Last edited by normhead; 06-13-2018 at 10:58 AM.
06-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, and did you notice the way that Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake of camera store got pissed at new year, said something disparaging about Pentax, after years of being positive, and immediately get head-hunted by DPR
06-13-2018, 11:04 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it gets us to 40,000 posts. I'm for it. :-)