Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
But DPR and their reviews and bias have truly been beaten to death since their first posting of the K1-II review.
The subject has a much longer history here and has its peaks every time there is a new product release from Pentax. Question such as "why is DPR slow to review "X", "why didn't DPR call out and praise feature "Y", and the perennial "why does DPR let ad revenue guide their editorial actions" are incredibly predictable and while the names may change, the themes stay the same, though since the K-1 release the volume has been somewhat higher and the pitch also.

Addendum: In the interest of full disclosure, it was DPR's review of the K10D back in Winter of 2006/2007, that prompted my serious consideration of that camera and influenced my eventual purchase in March of 2007.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
06-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
If it gets us to 40,000 posts. I'm for it. :-)
That's the spirit!
06-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
The heck with what DPR thinks of Pentax. I am happy with mine. Before I go out and take pictures, this is one more post to get us to the magic 40,000
What he said. been using them thirty years on and off no plans on changing
06-13-2018, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I was interested in the history of their negative reviews of Pentax cameras; and their last lens review in 2009 where they also got it spectacularly wrong (DA15 merely 'OK'...). I recently LEFT there site permanently after being a regular reader since the late 90's because of their extremely biased and bad review of the K1ii, and their refusal to re-evaluate the camera even after being caught in complete and total incompetence in the testing of it.

I think this is one of the reasons this place continues to thrive and exist.

Sincerely,
Cameron
My mommy always said if you can't say anything nice, just shut your pie hole.
There isn't much nice to say about DPR, and as I am trying to just say nice things...
that's all i have to say about that.

06-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
If it gets us to 40,000 posts. I'm for it. :-)
If we get 40,001, does it roll over into July?
06-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My mommy always said if you can't say anything nice, just shut your pie hole.
There isn't much nice to say about DPR, and as I am trying to just say nice things...
that's all i have to say about that.
What? Mr. "Honest Opinion" Wheatfield is going to only say "nice" things? Good Luck! You make good points, I am just trolling you a little bit.
I find myself straining at the bit when I want to forum slap a negative Nancy or Nellie but then I think about pixie dust and my * and Limited lenses and feel much calmer.
06-13-2018, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
What? Mr. "Honest Opinion" Wheatfield is going to only say "nice" things? Good Luck! You make good points, I am just trolling you a little bit.
I find myself straining at the bit when I want to forum slap a negative Nancy or Nellie but then I think about pixie dust and my * and Limited lenses and feel much calmer.
Canadians, we're polite, we're reasonable........
I pet my puppy. Best destressor ever.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.
06-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Canadians, we're polite, we're reasonable........
Well, OK then!
06-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OK, here's the thing. IN the opinion of many, DPR is not fair accurate or scientific, but they are devious. It takes a lot of work by forum members to straighten out what they do. And then we get them inspiring folks like MJKloski, who require a lot more effort to dispel.

So given the amount of work required by discussing them, where is the review as posted on DPR that would make discussing them further worth the pain?

I've totally given up on them. But if you can find some "socially redeeming importance" I'll be happy to change my mind. If you want to discuss them, it should be on you to correct their devious anti-Pentax slant. Are you willing to do that?

Personally, i find their brand of pseudo science hogwash to be repulsive. As in sickening.

Make your case. What does DPR bring to the table that isn't done better and more honestly by other sites?

Anyone wants to discuss DPR can do it over there, wait, no you can't. they'll censor you then ban you. They are the Adolh Hitlers of photography websites.

I mean what kind of people defame product on line and then delete and ban criticism of their work. Evil people. Evil I say.

The first goal of evil individuals, is to try and eliminate legitimate dissent. These individuals are so weak, the tiny little bit of power they have has corrupted them.
I'm not sure the issue of "star eaters" got started, but several posters, including MJK, alluded cotinually to "star eating" ... and yet, there has never been any evidence of "star eating", while one poster here and the astronomy magazine specifically rejected the idea - but people haven't been able to leave the issue.
06-13-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

I don't pay attention to most reviews outside pentax, at least not closely. Therefore should i bad mouth how dpr bad mouths pentax or just bad mouth dpr in general? This is why i prefer a case by case instead of a special thread. Besides the characters change over time and the consistency of negative is iffy. I would be interested IF a conspiracy against pentax could be found but i think its just famboy and free dinner bias.
06-14-2018, 03:10 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things are better than they used to be. When I joined the Forum a long time ago, any links to DP Review were blocked.

It may be reasonable to bring up inaccuracies in DP Review's articles about Pentax here, but overall, it is probably fairly useless. Better to post them in the comments of the DP Review articles, if they are really so bothersome. I know that Class A is pretty proactive at doing so.

Holding DP Review accountable for the haphazard way that they sometimes test cameras and their harsh verbiage towards Pentax is going to be done by addressing them directly. Talking about them here just increases the negativity level (which is high enough as it is).
06-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
When I joined the Forum a long time ago, any links to DP Review were blocked.
I am not sure, but I believe the same was true over there for links to this site.

Steve
06-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #43

Im going to say it - part of the problem with the mistakes from the DPR review of the K1II, or things with reviews in general, like how Fuji's lack of video capabilities is glossed over, while Pentax's deficiencies are usually brought up ad nauseam - is that it takes away from the real issue Ricoh Pentax is having with their current lineup. We harp on their perceived biases, but what if they simply came out with the fact that every camera is just a reiteration of a camera released two, or three generations ago? The K1II is simply a gimmick to have a new version of pixel shift, that is not as useful as the original pixel shift, and Ricoh continues to fine tune the presets to match Canon? That the camera would have been great if it was generation 1, but now it feels being left behind. Or that the KP makes no sense.

Look, I love Pentax - requisite list of numerous bodies and lenses would b here - and I hate the slipshod way the K1II review was handled, then attempted to be fixed without admitting there was a major flaw to it all, and I hate how that review may have dissuaded someone from buying into Pentax, and instead becoming a drone shooting the next MKx or D8xx, but really one site was not going to make the difference. I also hate those sites talking about the limitation of the lens lineup, which is also lame. Or that they left Ricoh completely out of the rugged camera comparo, when the W line is usually right there with Olympus for best. But more, my anger makes me get angry with them, but I would rather be praising something new from Ricoh, if there was something.....
06-19-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
but what if they simply came out with the fact that every camera is just a reiteration of a camera released two, or three generations ago?
In your opinion...

I guess some people find it necessary to release completely new concept every now and then. Pentax doesn't. That's can be an advantage, that can be disadvantage. When my wife tries to use my K-3, she doesn't see it as an incarnation of her K-5. Pentax puts out a mkII with every model, there has never been a mkIII unlike some companies, and the next APS-c flagship won't be an incarnation of the K-3. You might need to examine the reality a little more closely.
06-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax is just different. We have to embrace the difference and ignore DPR. Pentax will never make them happy because Pentax will not make cameras that fit the DPR standard. The DPR tone is one or two writers. Other writers are more reasonable, but they don’t write about Pentax.

Just let it go. Be like a Subaru driver in 1982.