Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Seems Ricoh going more into 3d Printing

#Sorry if this is in the wrong section, move if need be.

Ricoh planning for acquisitions with $1.8 billion war chest - 3D Printing Industry

07-03-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good news, i think there is a lot of money to be made with 3d printers. The tech is still fairly young, and has huge potential.

Maybe in the near future we will be able to simply print the needed camera accessories and upgrades.
07-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, that's one of their strategic move.
07-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think this is exciting news. 3D printers are one of the tangible examples of Star Trek tech(*) becoming reality. We may never
see an actual replicator, but a 3D printer in every house, ready to make a replacement cog or shim on the fly, is a future I'm excited
about.

(*) - The smartphone is of course the modern analog of the tri-corder/communicator. Personally, I'm waiting for Star Trek medicine.
Broken femur? No problem; a wave of this little wand and you're good to go.

07-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think this is exciting news. 3D printers are one of the tangible examples of Star Trek tech(*) becoming reality. We may never see an actual replicator, but a 3D printer in every house, ready to make a replacement cog or shim on the fly, is a future I'm excited about.

(*) - The smartphone is of course the modern analog of the tri-corder/communicator. Personally, I'm waiting for Star Trek medicine.
Broken femur? No problem; a wave of this little wand and you're good to go.
Yeah, just the fact that 3D-printing is going to be more available to people/small businesses would be great to see, especially for the companies (and people) that repair film camera's (eg 35mm, medium format, etc.). Like "Oh, you have a film camera that has a broken peice? Boom! Here it is, a good quality replacement part."
07-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Non-contact 3D surface digitisation is the area that needs to get the whole replication process to domestic scale, and price, if it isn’t there already. When I was involved in manufacturing complex components, twenty years ago, our competitive advantage in such work was a 5-axis touch-probe digitiser that was the size of a moderately-large milling machine. Things have moved on since then, of course, but these things eventually work their way down to the size and price that makes the machine acceptable in the average home. I imagine Ricoh has been working on camera systems to go with these machines, but I lost touch with progress in that field when I moved out of the sector some time ago.
07-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
but a 3D printer in every house, ready to make a replacement cog or shim
But most households wouldn't have the faintest idea on what to use a cog or a shim for.

07-05-2018, 05:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I remember Ricoh talking about using 3D printing in the medical area.
07-05-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good - definitely time to get in there, and they've got a good, as far as I know, for competent reliable products, as well as a lot of experience in 'office' products - good move.
07-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
But most households wouldn't have the faintest idea on what to use a cog or a shim for.
True enough, but I'm sure many of those households would enjoy printing a rattle for the child or a bowl for their ice cream.
07-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Not yet!
07-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There has been a lot of 3D printer hype in recent years and my feelings are mixed. I took a pretty good hit to my investments at one point as the values of of a couple of the larger manufacturers dropped like a rock. At this point, I would hesitate to re-invest in a 3D printer company again and a lot of investors got burned already and feel the same. This could actually be a a bad thing for Ricoh to get involved in. It's odd that the article mentions General Electric as part of the future of 3D printing, as they are doing so poorly, they have been delisted from the Dow.
07-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes early investors take a hit which later developers can profit form. 3d printing would seem to be the next step if manufacturers can get costs and features right.