Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Did you seriously ask her for measurements? Seems like a bad idea.
If the garment is being custom made to fit her specifically, it's a requirement. Pro models need to have very accurate measurements on their comp cards or bios. One of the complaints many photographers had on MM was looking at a model's portfolio, deciding they liked her look and arranging a meeting, only to find the person had put on 20 pounds, was 3 inches shorter than described, had changed hair colour and had gotten a bunch of tattoos.
This is one of the reasons why it pays to hire from an agency. If you go that route, you have a reasonable expectation of the model arriving as advertised, and of the model arriving.

07-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If the garment is being custom made to fit her specifically, it's a requirement. Pro models need to have very accurate measurements on their comp cards or bios. One of the complaints many photographers had on MM was looking at a model's portfolio, deciding they liked her look and arranging a meeting, only to find the person had put on 20 pounds, was 3 inches shorter than described, had changed hair colour and had gotten a bunch of tattoos.
This is one of the reasons why it pays to hire from an agency. If you go that route, you have a reasonable expectation of the model arriving as advertised, and of the model arriving.
More good information!
07-15-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

There are usually Facebook groups or local meetup groups that link photographers to models. Nashville Photographer, Model & Creative Team (Nashville, TN) | Meetup Here is an example of one here in Nashville. I never liked MM, but I haven't even tried to use it in years. With the proliferation of social media groups its hard to justify spending money with MM.

Try to connect with good hair and make-up professionals. I shoot a good number of wedding a year and I have met a lot of skilled people that way.
07-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Did you seriously ask her for measurements? Seems like a bad idea.
Of course I did, I offered her custom costume work, and it needed correct sizing. Wheatfield explained everything perfectly.
Now I changed the approach trying to make everything around 2-3 common model's sizes, from size 2 up to 6 if it's possible.

---------- Post added 07-15-18 at 07:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There are usually Facebook groups or local meetup groups that link photographers to models. Nashville Photographer, Model & Creative Team (Nashville, TN) | Meetup Here is an example of one here in Nashville. I never liked MM, but I haven't even tried to use it in years. With the proliferation of social media groups its hard to justify spending money with MM.

Try to connect with good hair and make-up professionals. I shoot a good number of wedding a year and I have met a lot of skilled people that way.
Yes, I thought about that option as well, thank you.

07-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
But when I asked her to give me her measurements, she promised and it was the last time I've heard from her.

My guess you were asking so that you could modify/create the garment specifically for the model?! ... Sounds like explaining that to the model may have been prudent so that you did not come across the wrong way.
Wheatfield's suggestions of headshots or street clothes images were great. Another suggestion depending on how you want to present your clothing, is to shoot images with no head showing. Unusual, but I have seen it done - then the focus in on the garment not the model. If you are looking to create a "feeling" based on the images then this might not be the way to go. An environmental type portrait would have more of an emotional impact.

Good Luck!
07-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
if i saw a likely prospect, I would introduce myself, hand over a comp card and ask her to consider giving me a call.
Isn't that the technique for finding Sunshine Girls? Mind you, I remember reading about creeps impersonating Sun photographers to go trawling for victims, so this technique may not be as suitable today.
07-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Isn't that the technique for finding Sunshine Girls? Mind you, I remember reading about creeps impersonating Sun photographers to go trawling for victims, so this technique may not be as suitable today.
Yeah. I was working for a legitimate agency at the time, so it was all good. I suspect these days it would get a person arrested.