Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #1

Custom User Dial settings on K3ii

What would you recommend as the most useful settings to incorporate into those dial modes U1, U2, U3. I've never gotten around to trying them out. I shoot mostly outdoors; I like to capture interesting design elements I see into street scenes, landscapes. I also shoot a lot of backyard garden flowers and pollinators (up-close n personal). Would you recommend setting U1 for full sun; U2 for shade? What other parameters would you recommend ?

07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On my K-S2, I have a U1 and U2.

I've set them for 'Flying' and 'Standing' for wildlife shots.

For 'Flying' I've set my auto iso for 200-1600 and ensured that I have all 11 autofocus points activated.
For 'Standing' I have my iso set for 100 and ensured that I only have 1 autofocus point selected.

There may be other minor tweaks, but these are the main ones.

This way I have a bit extra ISO for shutter speeds with flying birds.
I need only 1 autofocus point if the bird is standing on a branch so that the other points don't focus in on an adjacent branch and I can hit just the eye.

Maybe this will help you decide what settings are best for you.
07-31-2018, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one for astro, one for motion and another for manual lenses with a plethora of different custom settings enabled for each. Sometimes I might reset them for portraits or landscapes.

The point of this is to quickly configure the camera for a purpose. I'd likely forget some of the settings and curse after the event otherwise because I could have done better had I remembered something.

I would not use them for simple changes that I could do on the fly. YMMV
07-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine are set as U1 - telephoto (TAv f7.1 1/1000 100-6400), U2 - normal shooting (HyperP 100-3200), U3 - pixel shift (2 second delay, 100). The ‘normal’ settings are set up to use muted mode which then gets used automagically on the occasions where I want some video.