Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I still wonder if they didn’t hope the KP would have been accepted as a flagship model. A few upgrades and it could have been.
If they hoped that would fly they must have been inhaling whatever they were smoking.

08-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then in essence Ricoh bought some buildings in Asia and associated machines, an inventory of cameras and lenses and probably some patents, and the rights to use the Pentax brand name in a limited product area. It would be interesting to know who owns which coating and process application patents and which have entered the public domain.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed but Ricoh didn't purchase Asahi Optical Co., they purchased from Hoya a business formerly conducted by Asahi Optical Co. (renamed Pentax Co. in 2002). There is no such thing as Asahi Optical Co. / Pentax Co. any more: the corresponding company merged with and into Hoya effective on 31 March 2008 and therefore has disappeared.

In addition, the Pentax trademark still belongs to Hoya, not to Ricoh.

1919: 旭光学工業合資会社 = Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō Goshi-gaisha
1938: 旭光学工業株式会社 = Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushiki-gaisha (same company name but different legal structure)
2002: ペンタックス株式会社 = Pentakkusu Kabushiki-gaisha
2008: merger with and into Hoya.

旭光学工業, phonetically Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō and translated as Asahi Optical, means Optical Industries from the Rising Sun.
08-17-2018, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

I was hoping to be invited to a big birthday party , with cake and ice cream.
08-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then in essence Ricoh bought some buildings in Asia and associated machines, an inventory of cameras and lenses and probably some patents, and the rights to use the Pentax brand name in a limited product area. It would be interesting to know who owns which coating and process application patents and which have entered the public domain.
Plus contracts (with providers, employees and clients), goodwill and so on.

08-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Plus contracts (with providers, employees and clients), goodwill and so on.
Indeed. Although it remains unclear whether there was any Goodwill (intangibles in excess of net purchase value) at the time of acquisition.
08-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wish Ricoh would stop removing web links to all the old information on Pentax. None of the web links on older Pentax production information remain from the "Pentax Imaging" days and the current Ricoh support website is slowly removing the downloadable manuals to much of the older Pentax products as well.

Yes happy birthday to AOCO!!

Phil.
08-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought there were AOCo stickers showing up in boxes for the D-FA*50 and/or some other Pentax products. How would that be possible if Ricoh doesn't own AOCo's name and logos and such?

And I thought there were statements in interviews with product managers that the KP would be the new almost-flagship and K-1 would take over the top spot in the DSLR product line? That basically if a consumer wanted a top digital body they would go to the K-1 and never miss a K-3II replacement.

Which, I agree with monochrome, seems really stupid.

08-17-2018, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I just wish Ricoh would stop removing web links to all the old information on Pentax. None of the web links on older Pentax production information remain from the "Pentax Imaging" days and the current Ricoh support website is slowly removing the downloadable manuals to much of the older Pentax products as well.

Yes happy birthday to AOCO!!

Phil.
Not many companies are good at keeping old links working .
08-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I still wonder if they didn’t hope the KP would have been accepted as a flagship model. A few upgrades and it could have been.
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
And I thought there were statements in interviews with product managers that the KP would be the new almost-flagship and K-1 would take over the top spot in the DSLR product line? That basically if a consumer wanted a top digital body they would go to the K-1 and never miss a K-3II replacement.
As I have said multiple times, my personal opinion is that they expected the K-1 to be the flagship; they did not anticipate the expressed needs for better burst and crop performance.
08-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very unlikely
08-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I have said multiple times, my personal opinion is that they expected the K-1 to be the flagship; they did not anticipate the expressed needs for better burst and crop performance.
That's been directly contradicted by Pentax execs.

Everything ws pushed back by the new sensor fo the 645z. The K-1 also came late.

The flagship will use the same battery, and have two memory card slots, and should be pretty much next in line here. Everything else has been updated since the K-3.

Last edited by normhead; 08-17-2018 at 06:45 PM.
08-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's been directly contradicted by Pentax execs.

Everything ws pushed back by the new sensor fo the 645z. The K-1 also came late.

The flagship will use the same battery, and have two memory card slots, and should be pretty much next in line here. Everything else has been updated since the K-3.
That’s been my understanding as well. The unprecedented acceptance of the 645z (the pre-order was rumored twice the initial planned production for the entire run) set back the entire company’s product design and production schedule 12-15 months. K-1 was similar, though not so extreme.

I find it hard to believe they would sacrifice the APSc Unit volume by omitting a flagship body in favor of FF. My opinion is the effects of unexpected success are still being felt with APSc flagship delay, and recall what happened with D FA*50, which sold out the entire pre-order production run.

Pentax is conservative in production planning, and who can blame them after Q and K-01.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2018 at 07:20 PM.
08-18-2018, 01:59 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That’s been my understanding as well. The unprecedented acceptance of the 645z (the pre-order was rumored twice the initial planned production for the entire run) set back the entire company’s product design and production schedule 12-15 months. K-1 was similar, though not so extreme.

I find it hard to believe they would sacrifice the APSc Unit volume by omitting a flagship body in favor of FF. My opinion is the effects of unexpected success are still being felt with APSc flagship delay, and recall what happened with D FA*50, which sold out the entire pre-order production run.

Pentax is conservative in production planning, and who can blame them after Q and K-01.
They have been conservative, which seems to create more desire (the human nature to have what you can’t get immediately).

I forget about the 645Z and the effects it had on the company. I’m just curious what kind of form the new models will have.
08-18-2018, 06:56 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

They have been conservative, which seems to create more desire (the human nature to have what you can’t get immediately).

I forget about the 645Z and the effects it had on the company. I’m just curious what kind of form the new models will have.
The success of the 645z and K-1 have definitely affected other parts of production. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.

The upside is the long wait for the new flagship all probably mean there are some pretty serious upgrades coming. Technology has advanced, and I'm sure most of the parts Pentax is sources for the new APS-c will be better than what's in the K-3, not to mention possible added technical features not possible in the older chips.
08-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #45
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The success of the 645z and K-1 have definitely affected other parts of production. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.
Financial reports where not as popular in the 645Z time. Looked at it just briefly. The Imaging business was much bigger then today. The market was also bigger. They did with 645Z the same as with K-1, presenting it in april so iat the start of the new fiscal year. For the 645Z they did that in april 2014. Looking at the financial report for that presented in april 2015........

"Sales decreased in the camera business as compared to the previous corresponding period."

So the succes for the 645Z was not that big, unless K-mount sales plummitted that year. I guess it was only phrases used by the marketeers to promote the succes of the 645Z instead of real sales made.