Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
They will please us film-shooters and release an MZ-S mark II with uncrippled KAF 5 compatible with all new DFA lenses.
Why not hope for an uncrippled MZ-D? We could hope for lots of things, and I have a wishlist as long as my arm, but I would prefer that Pentax simply still be there.

Ricoh bought Pentax to stop them from dying, and the K-1's advertising guff was full of expressions of respect for the Pentax tradition. If you think they wouldn't go so far as to rebrand a centenary camera with the Asahi Optical Co. logo, I think you're wrong. They may not, of course, but I don't think it would be something they automatically wouldn't do.

08-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Why not hope for an uncrippled MZ-D? We could hope for lots of things, and I have a wishlist as long as my arm, but I would prefer that Pentax simply still be there.

Ricoh bought Pentax to stop them from dying, and the K-1's advertising guff was full of expressions of respect for the Pentax tradition. If you think they wouldn't go so far as to rebrand a centenary camera with the Asahi Optical Co. logo, I think you're wrong. They may not, of course, but I don't think it would be something they automatically wouldn't do.
I was a little sad those K-1ll AOCo prism stickers didn’t come in the US packaging of the Fat Fifty like they did in Japan.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-28-2018 at 03:29 PM.
08-28-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I still wonder if they didn’t hope the KP would have been accepted as a flagship model. A few upgrades and it could have been.
They never intended the KP to be a flagship, because they already had a flagship - the K-1.

They didn't realize there was a need for a separate APS-C flagship until we hit them upside the head with a clue stick.
08-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An APS flagship has been on the cards from day one. FF and APS are two different formats...

08-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
An APS flagship has been on the cards from day one. FF and APS are two different formats...
If that's true, then where is it? The most reasonable explanation for a late delivery is a late start.

I don't think they were originally considering FF as a different format, rather they were thinking it was a critical feature that needed to be on their flagship.
08-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I don't think they were originally considering FF as a different format, rather they were thinking it was a critical feature that needed to be on their flagship.
That would make sense if the lens ecosystem supported it. Clearly it was a new format, or they wouldn't then have to scrabble around trying to get a few lenses out for it.
08-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Well, my wish would just be that a new film camera comes out. I know this completely out of discussion, there is basically no market for it, it would be too expensive, they wouldnt even have the machinery & tools to replicate the MZ-S.

It's just... Canon dropped film now completely, Nikon dropped it completely, I think Leica may still have a camera or two in their portfolio (maybe not).

It would just be nice to have a film camera with top features like the MZ-S, with some upgrades like the Av-Mode wheel and the possiblity to drive the aperture a la KAF4 and use DC autofocus. I wonder if it would be possible to hack the MZ-S firmware to achieve this. Oh well...

I must admit, if I werent such a fan of Pentax, I might have gone with the F6 but I didnt want to switch the mount.

But you are right, most important is Ricoh/Pentax stays in business.

Last edited by yucafrita; 08-28-2018 at 09:38 PM.
08-29-2018, 02:00 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would just be nice to have a film camera with top features like the MZ-S, with some upgrades like the Av-Mode wheel and the possiblity to drive the aperture a la KAF4 and use DC autofocus. I wonder if it would be possible to hack the MZ-S firmware to achieve this. Oh well...
I think film cameras got about as good as they can get before film went out of fashion - no new technology really reads across usefully - perversely, a very basic but classic film camera - early 80's style but with a better light meter - sort of back to basics, where you can learn how to control the image making process yourself - might be a better gamble - except, of course, you can still get them second hand anyway.
08-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that's true, then where is it? The most reasonable explanation for a late delivery is a late start.

I seem to recall, in one of the interviews, they hinted that.
08-29-2018, 03:10 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I seem to recall, in one of the interviews, they hinted that.
Well it would be a quirky way of looking at things - which might be further proof that the Pentax DNA was alive and well in Ricoh Imaging
08-29-2018, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They will please us film-shooters and release an MZ-S mark II with uncrippled KAF 5 compatible with all new DFA lenses.
I would settle for any DSLR with non-crippled K mount but we all have our flights of fantasy.
08-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would settle for any DSLR with non-crippled K mount but we all have our flights of fantasy.
K-1 Super?
08-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #88
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you think they wouldn't go so far as to rebrand a centenary camera with the Asahi Optical Co. logo, I think you're wrong. They may not, of course, but I don't think it would be something they automatically wouldn't do.
All depends who owns that trademark.
08-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
All depends who owns that trademark.
Trademark issues is probably why the AOC stickers included with DFA* 50mm were only seen in Japan.
08-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh/Pentax is kind of funny though, they probably thought only Japan would care about AOC and that history.

A new LX might be nice but I think if they did film it should be more like an MZ-S with the latest AF and everything the KAF4 mount brings with it. It would need to be uncrippled, though, otherwise I think some folks wouldn't be as interested. And uncrippling the KAF4 might be more engineering than they want to do.

I would be shocked if they bring back a film camera but I also think it might be an interesting way to exploit a niche. Not many new film cameras on the market anymore and if Ricoh could tap that, even if it's a small percentage of the world's total camera market...