Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
False of Nikon - their users make the same kind of claims that Pentax users do .... but with a little more history. Apparently a Nikon D850 can use, without any adapter, every Nikon lens manufactured since 1949 or some such year.
You can modify Pre-AI lenses to work on the D700-D850, I have done this myself for several lenses and only take 20-30min and a file.
What is nice is you get full functionality with the camera only loosing shutter priority on digital cameras. There is also no need for stop down metering

There is also the benefit of recording the Fstop in the cameras Exif data and also TTL flash

09-05-2018, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
The SLR/DSLR world is where I live.
You, and a lot of other photographers, including myself. I have number of friends that are DSLR Nikon shooters (D810, D750, D7500) and none of them seem remotely interested in moving to a mirrorless system, no matter who's making it. I have one Canon friend (5d Mark IV) who did go over to the Sony Mirrorless system for a little while but returned to his mirrored roots. It was more comfortable to shoot with. I think there's a lot to be said about comfort and familiarity of equipment. For many, the shift to mirrorless isn't intuitive. At least it wasn't for my Canon friend.
09-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.... But the Pentaxians who wanted mirrorless are long gone, probably never to be seen again.
I haven't gone away!

I have all the recent Pentax FF lenses, and with the right Pentax mirrorless camera, plus the K-mount adapter that Pentax would supply (unless they had a death-wish), I would buy such a camera.

(It would co-exist with my K-1ii, hopefully complementing it rather than competing with it or replacing it).
09-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'd buy one, but only if the K-mount lenses are compatible. Absolutely no interest to invest into new lenses, just because there's some un-compatible mirrorless camera or change of bayonet.
I'd buy one, but only if the K-mount lenses are compatible... screwdriver AF lenses included

09-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Plus one option is never bad, so I'am not glad, but I won't miss the Pentax MILC now.
09-06-2018, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #36

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
In a lot of ways, it's good innovation. You don't really even need a shutter anymore, that's a holdover from film. You can simply tell the sensor when to blink on and off and for what duration. In theory, the lack of mirror saves space, but I think that advantage is quickly lost when you start mounting lenses to it.

The big disadvantages to me are two of the things that have me in Pentax. You can't have an optical viewfinder without a mirror. You either frame and focus in live view, like you did with the K-01 and you do with the Q or you have an electronic viewfinder, which makes the camera bigger again, but it's essentially a screen inside an eyepiece. I had a fuji camera years ago with one and hated it. They've gotten better, but still don't feel like home to me.

The other disadvantage is that Sony had no legacy glass to dis-infranchise, so everyone buying into it was buying into a new system anyway. Nikon and Canon's offerings introduced a new lens mount for that system that isn't compatible with their dSLR cousins. To my knowledge the Pentax K-01 is the only mirrorless that was at least ASP-C in sensor size that worked with the dSLR lens mount. That made it a compelling travel camera for people with larger, heavier Pentax dSLRs, but it was criticized for being big and ugly, by comparison and didn't do well enough to make more than one version of.

I think the KP is there to scratch that itch now. A K1 and a KP share the same lenses, but exist in different form factors and at different price points...and they both have really good optical view finders.
I can fully agree with troika above.

The things that made me *not* buy a mirrorless System when I decided to go from Superzoom Bridge to interchangable DSLR-style were:
- Lack of available lenses for the applications I was interested in
- Lack of features taking full advantage of the new technology
- Price

The later point will become obsolete as new models are released and previous series bodies come available.

Why not an electronic viewfinder? Yes, with my 300mm f/4 and a x2 adapter mounted I can see things with my dark-accustomed eyes that I can't take a photo off (I had to go fully open aperture and ISO 50k to begin to visualize what I could see with my eyes through the viewfinder). Why would I need to see things, I can't take a photo of? Electronic Viewfinder will do fine, most of the time I only use the viewfinder anyway if it's too bright to actually see well on the screen or when I need full auto-focus capabilities. To confirm focus, LV is so much nicer: Outlines of what is in focus, x16 digital ZOOM to confirm focus on Stars, etc. all that you could have in an electronic View Finder.

Why the mirror? I only see disadvantages. It's slower than electronic shutter. Taking a nice Macro with foucs-stacking and HDR exposure the camera goes tack-tack-tack, then I have to manually change focus on my KP, then tack-tack-tack again introducing vibrations. Yes, there is the mirror pre-release, but again: Why a mirror if I need to activate a work-around to get rid of it?

I would like an updated K3 (or a software update for my KP) to allow focus-stacking, but a mirrorless version (still using the K-Mount Lense environment) would be so grand. If the body size would not get reduced (I don't mind my KPs size), we could have an electronic viewfinder, a decent flash, GPS, ... there is so much room taken up by that prism and mirror...

Can anyone tell my why the people mentioned above migrated back to a loud, vibrating mirror thing? Was it actually the camera handling and missing a mirror???
09-06-2018, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At present, SLRs and mirrorless cameras have very similar capabilities. It is interesting that people bring up size as a big reason for mirrorless, because while some are small, many are every bit as large as SLRs they are competing against. Video does seem to be a big reason to go with mirrorless. I don't shoot a bunch of video nor do I have a hankering to go to 4K (my computer complains enough when I edit HD video) and truthfully, I don't know how many people really want to shoot 4K on their ILC. EVFs seem to be both the big draw and the big negative. They offer a what you see is what you get for the jpeg the camera is producing and they have things like focus peaking that help with focus on manual focus lenses. On the other hand, there are a decent number of folks who get eye strain and headaches when using them. In addition, in order to cut down lag you need more expensive sensors meaning that it is only really expensive cameras like the A9 that end up with really high end EVFs.

It is amusing to me that in the article Big Mack posted they emphasize over and over again how fragile the camera mirror is and how terrible auto focus is with an SLR. The reality is that I have never had any issues with the mirrors on my cameras -- they last as long or longer than the electronic components of the camera. In addition, the focus has been fine. Just because there are a few mirrorless cameras can shoot and track at 20 fps, it doesn't mean that all or even most do. The Canon EOS R is going to have AF-C that shoots at 5 fps. That would be fine for me, but nothing that indicates a huge advantage over existing, older cameras.

I am not opposed to Pentax coming out with a mirrorless camera, but at present it doesn't seem as though it would be easy for them based on what their strong points are and what the mirrorless camera market demands. Could they design and produce a full frame mirrorless camera that can shoot and track at 12 fps? Can they do 4K video? Can they get a high end EVF that has minimal lag? How long would it take them to design a lens line up for this new mirrorless mount? I am just not convinced that the answers to most of these questions are in the affirmative and releasing a K-02 that has a full frame sensor, only HD video, 3 fps in AF-C, poor tracking, and poor video implementation does sound like a recipe for disaster.

09-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Thanks for the education on that. Didn't know much about Nikon.
09-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
but Olympus, dropped the O mount, then dropped 4/3, and seem to be doing fine.
You can use both OM and 4/3 on µ4/3. Check out the eBay prices of OM mount Zuiko lenses...The 40/2 is being priced the same as the Pentax 43 Ltd...
09-06-2018, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Let me know when for $2k I can buy a lagless evf that shows me in continuous shooting an updated scene, is full frame. Weather resistant as well. Then all the other benefits of mirrorless will start making sense for me.
09-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
I'd buy one, but only if the K-mount lenses are compatible... screwdriver AF lenses included

Well, yes. All AF lenses, but also MF lenses (if I understood correct, you can't use MF lenses on some of the Canikon later cameras...?).
09-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
I don't shoot a bunch of video
I don't either. For me it's a backup thing if I don't have another camera at hand for that. But "Video" brings a lot of nice gimmicks like the GH5 "post focus". Instead of taking a single photo, it records 4k video with a quick focus sweep. Select where you want to place the focus later. Sure, it's only 4k and takes a second not 1/200 but 6k TVs are a reality and 8k are on the horizon and a 8k video mode, better processors and so on making things like this possible in 8k? 8k 16:9 is 33 MPix photos that you can select the focal plane after the shot.

Getting a headache from electronic but not optical viewfinders sucks. Glad I don't have these. Other than that any advantages of keeping a physical mirror?
09-06-2018, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoRK Quote
Other than that any advantages of keeping a physical mirror?
You don't need a battery to see through it.
09-06-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Giving this more thought, remembering when I was buying my K3, I liked the XT1 and the OMD EM5 - Why! Despite their relatively small sensors they had big viewfinder displays, whereas the APSc one of a DSLR is a bit small if we are honest. So, to me, the real advantage of mirrorless is the ability to get a good sized viewfinder display despite the sensor being small. Which therefore begs the question why FF mirrorless, when FF SLR viewfinders hive a good sized image anyway? For many purposes, although clearly not all, smaller sensors have many advantages over FF. I am beginning to think the pursuit of FF mirrorless is a bit of a misguided step. Bigger is not always better
09-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Have Canon and Nikon Lost Their Minds?

Have Canon and Nikon Lost Their Minds? | Fstoppers