Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You, sir, are a gentleman. Thanks to you also
Same to you, my friend! You're a really nice person yourself. And you are welcome!

09-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Well if Ricoh makes products, that people want without breaking the bank account. It would be success.
Indeed...as would be any company who masters that secret. The company that can make a Ferrari for Toyota money would be an instant success too.
09-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Indeed...as would be any company who masters that secret. The company that can make a Ferrari for Toyota money would be an instant success too.
It's doable! If you exclude all the shine. It's the fine tuned engine that you really want.
09-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The rumours are that Fuji got a newb sensor and Ricoh got that and a newb ImageSignalProcessor...there's no reference anywhere about the 28mp BSI sensor from 4 years ago.

The XT3 is out in ten days or so with a 26mp newb sensor and processor,there is strong suspicion that it's the Samsung sensor.

Also in about ten days the FFpansonic is revealed,probably a development announcement but maybe some specs...it has a newb sensor,not Sony, but suspected to be a Samsung to Panasonic's design.

09-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow.-*

* Didn’t come here tonight for this.
09-18-2018, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The company that can make a Ferrari for Toyota money would be an instant success too.
From my point of view, I have more regard for Toyota's engineering abilities than for Ferrari's. Build a few thousand supercars per year on a cost no object basis, meh. Said supercars will be babied by their fanboy owners who will overlook and explain away any faults as 'character.' The owners will never put more than 30 000 miles on them, because that would ruin the value. And they will be back for another one.

Toyota, on the other hand, build cars by the train load that have to economical, reliable and well priced. Owners will just get in and drive as much as they want, putting some serious miles on their cars. After a few years of use and abuse, the car had better be in good enough shape to get some money back on it. Worst of all, if they are not happy they will be shopping at the Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Hyundai, whatever dealer next time. The Toyota engineers have to get a lot of details right, more so than their Ferrari counterparts.

It kinda reminds me of Leica and Pentax...
09-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The rumours are that Fuji got a newb sensor and Ricoh got that and a newb ImageSignalProcessor...there's no reference anywhere about the 28mp BSI sensor from 4 years ago.

The XT3 is out in ten days or so with a 26mp newb sensor and processor,there is strong suspicion that it's the Samsung sensor.

Also in about ten days the FFpansonic is revealed,probably a development announcement but maybe some specs...it has a newb sensor,not Sony, but suspected to be a Samsung to Panasonic's design.
Pentax seems to need the new processor more than a new sensor, but we will gladly take both.

Hopefully we will have some actual facts by sometime next week.

09-18-2018, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
From my point of view, I have more regard for Toyota's engineering abilities than for Ferrari's.
Oh...they're a very worthy manufacturer. But you won't get 0-60 in 3s and 200mph in a carbon-fibre monocoque with race suspension and world-class styling for the price of a Corolla...that's just basic economics. I am not dissing Toyota, just pointing out you can't have all the cutting edge features for budget prices, unfortunately.
09-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the past, Samsung sensors were Sony before Sony was. A generation of sensors ago, Sony was focused on getting more dyanmic range at base iso and at the same time, Samsung was churning out high frame rates and better video performance. In the time since Samsung went away, that seems to have become Sony's drive as well.

I doubt there is actually a huge difference between them in terms of practicality. The question would have more to do with how much Pentax is able to use the features that such a sensor would be capable of. Would Pentax enable 15 fps if that was a possibility? Probably not. They probably would stick at 10 or under. Would they enable 4K video? And so on.

Overall, I have no particular opinion about who supplies sensors except that competition tends to be good and drive innovation.
09-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It could be exciting times?

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Would Pentax enable 15 fps if that was a possibility? Probably not. They probably would stick at 10 or under. Would they enable 4K video?
If the rumour is correct,i believe so.Then the sensor is capable of what Fuji has done in the XT3.

Fuji used their processor,RI have been supplied the Samsung processor(according to the rumour).

With every other camera company offering 4K,i'd like to think it would appear in the next Apsc body.

The mystery is with us for a little while yet but maybe longer???
09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster

There's also a second sensor involved, you forgot to mention. The sensor of the unreleased nx1 mkii or nx2 that's allegedly 30 mp and is a beast. 120fps 4k. I believe it's the Samsung sensor. A hunch ? Maybe, or maybe it's the fact that Sony doesn't have a BSI aps-c sensor with 4K 60fps. But even if Sony did, they would use it on their own cameras first. And it would be really expensive. All the evidence we have doesn't point towards Sony.

---------- Post added 09-18-18 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
From my point of view, I have more regard for Toyota's engineering abilities than for Ferrari's. Build a few thousand supercars per year on a cost no object basis, meh. Said supercars will be babied by their fanboy owners who will overlook and explain away any faults as 'character.' The owners will never put more than 30 000 miles on them, because that would ruin the value. And they will be back for another one.

Toyota, on the other hand, build cars by the train load that have to economical, reliable and well priced. Owners will just get in and drive as much as they want, putting some serious miles on their cars. After a few years of use and abuse, the car had better be in good enough shape to get some money back on it. Worst of all, if they are not happy they will be shopping at the Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Hyundai, whatever dealer next time. The Toyota engineers have to get a lot of details right, more so than their Ferrari counterparts.

It kinda reminds me of Leica and Pentax...
Pentax is in no way comparable to Toyota, That's Canon. It's more like GM's hummer brand of cars. Not super pricy, not super cheap either. But is rugged and more than enough for the outdoor photographer. It's not for family portraits like most cheap canon and Nikon are. Pentax is a camera that you buy if you seriously want to get into the art of photography. Ibis, weather sealing, pentaprism, focus peaking and WR kit lens. Even the entry level ones. It's not meant to be used indoors. It's for the guy who wants to go out. If you want to compare Ferrari and Toyota to cameras it should be more like Leica to Canon. More appropriate. At least that's what I think.

---------- Post added 09-18-18 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax seems to need the new processor more than a new sensor, but we will gladly take both.

I agree! Samsung tech seems like god send to the Pentax system.

---------- Post added 09-18-18 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Looking at the past, Samsung sensors were Sony before Sony was. A generation of sensors ago, Sony was focused on getting more dyanmic range at base iso and at the same time, Samsung was churning out high frame rates and better video performance. In the time since Samsung went away, that seems to have become Sony's drive as well.

I doubt there is actually a huge difference between them in terms of practicality. The question would have more to do with how much Pentax is able to use the features that such a sensor would be capable of. Would Pentax enable 15 fps if that was a possibility? Probably not. They probably would stick at 10 or under. Would they enable 4K video? And so on.

Overall, I have no particular opinion about who supplies sensors except that competition tends to be good and drive innovation.
I believe Pentax might enable 15 fps. Why? It might not be practical but it will be good for publicity.

---------- Post added 09-18-18 at 05:52 PM ----------

It could be exciting times?

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

If the rumour is correct,i believe so.Then the sensor is capable of what Fuji has done in the XT3.

Fuji used their processor,RI have been supplied the Samsung processor(according to the rumour).

With every other camera company offering 4K,i'd like to think it would appear in the next Apsc body.

The mystery is with us for a little while yet but maybe longer???
I hope you're right! If it is the case. Then the DFA* 50 will have to wait!
09-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

There's also a second sensor involved, you forgot to mention. The sensor of the unreleased nx1 mkii or nx2 that's allegedly 30 mp and is a beast. 120fps 4k. I believe it's the Samsung sensor. A hunch ? Maybe, or maybe it's the fact that Sony doesn't have a BSI aps-c sensor with 4K 60fps. But even if Sony did, they would use it on their own cameras first. And it would be really expensive. All the evidence we have doesn't point towards Sony.
The "so called 2nd sensor" might exist...who knows,thats Y i didnt mention it.What does exist is the @28mp 4yo sensor and the 26mp "new" sensor thats in the Fuji???We dont know for sure who made it but(at the moment) all roads lead to Korea!

$$$ony have an announcement tomorrow,its likely the A7000 could be one of the items??? I believe theres a couple of FE lenses too.

I hope you're right!

We can all live in hope,What i hope is that RI tell us something? If not people waiting will spend $ they had designated for a Pentax on another brand.