Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Samsung NX1 - Fuji XT3!!!!

So Fujifilm is using a modified version of the Samsung sensor??? Not only that! Fujifilm is also going to use the sensor of the unreleased NX2???? It's a BSI sensor. And it's 30% less than what a Sony sensor costs! I hope Ricoh is seeing this! Thinking to themselves, "damn we could have done it too! Too bad we don't give a damn what our customers want. They have to accept what we give them"

09-17-2018, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Thinking to themselves, "damn we could have done it too! Too bad we don't give a damn what our customers want. They have to accept what we give them"
Nothing like casting a bit of shade, eh there Sunny?

Last edited by FozzFoster; 09-17-2018 at 01:53 PM.
09-17-2018, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bashing Pentax based on a very wild rumor while knowing absolutely nothing about any actual facts. Not nice.

The XT3 is 26MP by the way, while the Samsung sensor from 4 years ago that someone said they are using, is 28MP. So I don't believe these rumors at all.

Also, with each generation of cameras, Pentax is always on the leading edge for stills image quality so I don't think they are not customer focused. As a small player, they are doing the best they possibly can with the sensors that they have access to.
09-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So Fujifilm is using a modified version of the Samsung sensor??? Not only that! Fujifilm is also going to use the sensor of the unreleased NX2???? It's a BSI sensor. And it's 30% less than what a Sony sensor costs! I hope Ricoh is seeing this! Thinking to themselves, "damn we could have done it too! Too bad we don't give a damn what our customers want. They have to accept what we give them"
There already is a post about this:

Wild rumour: Samsung to provide APS-C sensors to Ricoh Imaging (and Fujifilm) - PentaxForums.com

09-17-2018, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.... and this goes on the 'ignore' pile...
09-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Bashing Pentax based on a very wild rumor while knowing absolutely nothing about any actual facts. Not nice.

The XT3 is 26MP by the way, while the Samsung sensor from 4 years ago that someone said they are using, is 28MP. So I don't believe these rumors at all.

Also, with each generation of cameras, Pentax is always on the leading edge for stills image quality so I don't think they are not customer focused. As a small player, they are doing the best they possibly can with the sensors that they have access to.
I'm not bashing! I love using my Pentax. Pentax has always been this oddball innovative company. And that's why I bought a Pentax. And yes Pentax has the best raw image quality. And I love it. And that's why I think Pentax could have jumped at this and Wow'ed every body! For the first time in years Pentax has a camera that's making the competition shitting in their pants. That would be awesome don't you think?

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Wow! I didn't know that.Thanks for sharing!

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Nothing like a bit of shade, eh there Sunny?
Don't take it the wrong way. I was stating my opinion. It sounds bad, I know. Just a little sad, Pentax had all opportunity in the world to do this even before fuji. But they just choose Sony over the Samsung sensor.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
.... and this goes on the 'ignore' pile...
If that's how you feel. So be it, my friend!
09-17-2018, 01:20 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not bashing! I love using my Pentax. Pentax has always been this oddball innovative company. And that's why I bought a Pentax. And yes Pentax has the best raw image quality. And I love it. And that's why I think Pentax could have jumped at this and Wow'ed every body! For the first time in years Pentax has a camera that's making the competition shitting in their pants. That would be awesome don't you think?
Don't take it the wrong way. I was stating my opinion. It sounds bad, I know. Just a little sad, Pentax had all opportunity in the world to do this even before fuji. But they just choose Sony over the Samsung sensor.
I'm sure Ricoh Imaging had extremely good reasons for making the choices it has made with regard to Pentax equipment. And, with respect, I imagine it considered the source, specification, integration possibilities and pricing of components in rather more detail than you or I might.

It's awfully easy for us to sit out here in customer land and offer "armchair wisdom" on what Ricoh should and could have done, based on our extremely limited knowledge and appreciation of the myriad factors involved. But let's be frank... none of us has the faintest clue about the thousands of decisions that go into designing Pentax products, and the reasons for them...

09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Could the 2 MP difference come from photosites being used for on-chip phase detection AF?
09-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The same rumors that say Fujifilm is getting Samsung sensors, say Ricoh is too. So you should be happy and not angry even though it is just a rumor.
09-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm sure Ricoh Imaging had extremely good reasons for making the choices it has made with regard to Pentax equipment. And, with respect, I imagine it considered the source, specification, integration possibilities and pricing of components in rather more detail than you or I might.

It's awfully easy for us to sit out here in customer land and offer "armchair wisdom" on what Ricoh should and could have done, based on our extremely limited knowledge and appreciation of the myriad factors involved. But let's be frank... none of us has the faintest clue about the thousands of decisions that go into designing Pentax products, and the reasons for them...
Offering wisdom? Expert advice? I'm definitely not doing. I am not qualified enough to do that. I not saying what Pentax should or could have done. I am just saying the things I wanted from Pentax. At the end of the day these are all consumer companies. They are here to provide for our needs. Right? I don't want to switch brands. I made a conscious decision to use Pentax products. The current crop of Pentax cameras are really fine! They're are more than enough. But sometimes what you really want is an innovative product. Something better than the rest, by miles.

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Could the 2 MP difference come from photosites being used for on-chip phase detection AF?
According to the rumour. The sensor has been tweaked a little!

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The same rumors that say Fujifilm is getting Samsung sensors, say Ricoh is too. So you should be happy and not angry even though it is just a rumor.
Honestly I didn't know that before I made this post.
09-17-2018, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope Ricoh is seeing this! Thinking to themselves, "damn we could have done it too! Too bad we don't give a damn what our customers want. They have to accept what we give them"
Offering wisdom? Expert advice? I'm definitely not doing. I am not qualified enough to do that. I not saying what Pentax should or could have done. I am just saying the things I wanted from Pentax. At the end of the day these are all consumer companies. They are here to provide for our needs. Right? I don't want to switch brands. I made a conscious decision to use Pentax products. The current crop of Pentax cameras are really fine! They're are more than enough. But sometimes what you really want is an innovative product. Something better than the rest, by miles.
My apologies - I wasn't calling you out specifically, which is why I said "us" rather than "you"... I was alluding to a wider tendency; and by the way, I've been guilty of it myself in the past.

I will say, though, the closing statement in your original post (quoted above) makes some pretty strong assumptions of, and negative inferences towards, Ricoh's lack of design thought and attitude towards its customers, both of which - with respect - I think you've got quite wrong. You shouldn't be surprised to get some robust responses when you come out of the trap with that kind of statement. That's just cause and effect, right?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-17-2018 at 02:03 PM.
09-17-2018, 02:12 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

They are here to provide for our needs. Right?
Yes, they are here to provide for our needs but only if we are here to cover their costs. If we are not willing to pay the price for some needed features, then Ricoh must either not provide them or lose money on Pentax and kill-off the under-performaning business unit.

Ricoh faces two unknown outcomes for every "need" that people demand here on PF. For example, how many customers will Ricoh lose if they fail to provide video performance of XXX? Versus how many customers will Ricoh lose if they provide video performance of XXX but have to add $NNN to the price to cover the costs of added product R&D and parts?

It's a tough decision for Ricoh because they have to spend a lot of money upfront to provide what we supposedly need while the customers get to wait and see before deciding whether to provide Ricoh anything.
09-17-2018, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Ricoh faces two unknown outcomes for every "need" that people demand here on PF. For example, how many customers will Ricoh lose if they fail to provide video performance of XXX? Versus how many customers will Ricoh lose if they provide video performance of XXX but have to add $NNN to the price to cover the costs of added product R&D and parts?
Precisely!

And they can never please all of us. That's an exercise in futility, because even if they provided every single feature and specification that every one of us here would like (and that's an impossibly extensive range), the cost would be so prohibitive that all the folks who like Pentax for its value proposition related to their specific (and, often, narrow) use case would be priced out.

So it's both OK and entirely expected that some folks will love what Pentax does next, others will hate it, and a whole bunch will be more-or-less happy in some measure. Some folks will be exasperated and leave the brand, others will join, and most - hopefully - will stay and work with any limitations relating to their specific needs. That's OK. It's what happens with any product and brand
09-17-2018, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My apologies - I wasn't calling you out specifically, which is why I said "us" rather than "you"... I was alluding to a wider tendency; and by the way, I've been guilty of it myself in the past.

I will say, though, the closing statement in your original post (quoted above) makes some pretty strong assumptions of, and negative inferences towards, Ricoh's lack of design thought and attitude towards its customers, both of which - with respect - I think you've got quite wrong. You shouldn't be surprised to get some robust responses when you come out of the trap with that kind of statement. That's just cause and effect, right?
I know you weren't calling me out! I don't think your response is strong, compared to what goes on in the other forum. But anyways thank you for being so polite. I appreciate it! And yes my closing statement is strong. But it's kind of out frustration. ��

---------- Post added 09-17-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yes, they are here to provide for our needs but only if we are here to cover their costs. If we are not willing to pay the price for some needed features, then Ricoh must either not provide them or lose money on Pentax and kill-off the under-performaning business unit.

It's a tough decision for Ricoh because they have to spend a lot of money upfront to provide what we supposedly need while the customers get to wait and see before deciding whether to provide Ricoh anything.
Well if Ricoh makes products, that people want without breaking the bank account. It would be success. They will sell it by the bucket loads. And I understand your concern, about not performing well in the market.
09-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I know you weren't calling me out! I don't think your response is strong, compared to what goes on in the other forum. But anyways thank you for being so polite. I appreciate it! And yes my closing statement is strong. But it's kind of out frustration. ��
You, sir, are a gentleman. Thanks to you also