Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #91

For me, an optical viewfinder is of major importance, in ANY type of camera. I also find that I am much more likely to carry a petite camera than one of much larger dimensions and heft. The very best optical viewfinders are in reflex cameras, and particularly film cameras. I use 35mm SLRs and point and shoot digital cameras.

Consequently, and after a little thought, I have come to the conclusion that what would really appeal to me is a camera with the following characteristics:

- The optical viewfinder, reflex optics, size and heft of a Pentax Auto 110.

- An interchangeable lens mount, allied with say wide-angle, standard and tele lenses.

- As large a digital sensor as possible within that package.

I am not a pixel-peeper: most point and shoot cameras give me adequate image quality.

It would be interesting to hear Pentax's response to such a notion. Maybe they will consider that there wouldn't be a big enough market.

09-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
USB-Charging in camera is very useful for travelling (power banks etc)
External battery charger with 5V USB input would be cheaper and helps keeping the camera less bulky and more reliable.
Example:
Multi Battery Adapter Kit - Sony NPA-MQZ1K - PentaxForums.com
09-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
External battery charger with 5V USB input would be cheaper and helps keeping the camera less bulky and more reliable.
Example:
Multi Battery Adapter Kit - Sony NPA-MQZ1K - PentaxForums.com
How would it keep the camera smaller? A universal USB C-port for charging, video out, tethering and data transfer* is probably the most compact solution.

*assuming this is all provided, or at least some of them. may change in development phase. or maybe later via firmware
09-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
1) Where do they see themselves fitting in a mirrorless world?
Very good question.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
They are the last major historical figure still without an offering?
No.

In fact, they are the only manufacturer (AFAIK) to have offered a MILC in each of three formats (1/2.3, 1/1.7. and APS-C).

09-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
In fact, they are the only manufacturer (AFAIK) to have offered a MILC in each of three formats (1/2.3, 1/1.7. and APS-C).
So, as the rest of the photography world gets more involved in MILC, Ricoh/Pentax becomes less involved? I wonder what that means.
09-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Very good question.

No.

Key point... offered. They no longer offer.
09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, as the rest of the photography world gets more involved in MILC, Ricoh/Pentax becomes less involved? I wonder what that means.
It means that they continue with their core business. Pentax is an SLR manufacturer. There are plenty of mirrorless camera to choose from.

09-25-2018, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It means that they continue with their core business. Pentax is an SLR manufacturer. There are plenty of mirrorless camera to choose from.
Maybe this should be another question - do they consider DSLR photography to be a sustainable submarket of photography?
09-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for some time devoted to Theta. I really love this product.
Specifically I'd like to know if the currently sold Bluetooth remote will ever actually work. It's not always easy to simultaneously operate and conceal a smart phone and I don't always want my thumb in the picture.
I'd also like some assurance that they are emphasizing software improvements, which I think are really holding the product back. There seem to be frequent updates, but the program (phone app) still crashes like crazy and the computer app refuses to advance from photo to photo without exiting the program. And why the forced dependency on Twitter or Facebook to effectively enjoy the product?

For the K3ii successor: After the "if" and "when" questions are answered, I'd like to know HOW MUCH PRIORITY will be placed on on improving autofocus tracking performance. If a substantial improvement was the ONLY change over the current K3ii, I'd buy it in an instant.
09-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #100
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Part of my issue is not wanting every promised lens to be as perfect as the DFA* 50mm f/1.4.
I might WANT it, but need it about as much as I need a $1200 price tag.

Steve
09-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jswilson64 Quote
Given the "common" aperture block failures, what steps has Ricoh/Pentax taken to improve going forward? What confidence can we have that new cameras will not face the same fate?
I believe current consensus is that pervasive aperture block failure as in the K-30/K-50 is not a problem with current model cameras.

Steve
09-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One more vote for:
  • Automated focus stacking
  • Automated AF fine adjust, RE: Nikon
Obviously possible since the functionality is exposed in the published API for the SDKs.

Steve
09-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe current consensus is that pervasive aperture block failure as in the K-30/K-50 is not a problem with current model cameras.
I would agree that it was most pervasive in the K-30/50; however, there have been reports of what I call Dark Image Syndrome in K-S2 and K-70 cameras. There seem to have been some misreporting of this issue, so it is probably too soon to say with authority "not a problem any more".
09-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There seem to have been some misreporting of this issue, so it is probably too soon to say with authority "not a problem any more".
I will have to look into it. A few weeks ago, there were no confirmed reports on this site for the K-70* and the K-S2 has been out of production for a couple of years now. In any case, asking Ricoh when they are going to quit making defective cameras is a little indelicate, one might think.

Steve

* There was a user who had unexplained dark frames, but which was not confirmed as traceable to the aperture controller.
09-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think they should be a (D)SLR manufacture, you seem to have lots of insight, so enlighten me..... Pentax will never produce a mirrorless camera? and if current Pentax users want a mirrorless camera then Pentax is willing to tell all of us to go somewhere else? After all, they are just a SLR manufacture as you stated.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-25-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Profanity removed.