Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #136

Photos: Gallery
Can they work with Reikan FoCal so we can get automatic focus calibration software.

09-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't think so. USB C PD (Power delivery) is specified to provide any necessary voltage from 5-20 V up to 100 W or 5 A. I would much appreciate this standard in all my cameras and external chargers. This would reduce the amount of different cables for laptop, mobile phone and camera+chargers to one type and chargers would be interchangeable.

USB-C - Wikipedia

and some information

All You Need to Know About USB Power Delivery (PD)
That spec is interesting, but I'd bet that almost none of the USB ports in cars, hotels, aircraft, coffee shops, wall-warts, and powerbricks implement it.

Built-in charging from USB is only really useful if it's compatible with low-end 5 V 500 mA or 1 A USB ports. That means the camera can be recharged almost anywhere with nothing more than a USB cable. If the camera can only charge from special high-end USB C PD charger, there's not much advantage over just a regular charger.
09-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That spec is interesting, but I'd bet that almost none of the USB ports in cars, hotels, aircraft, coffee shops, wall-warts, and powerbricks implement it.

Built-in charging from USB is only really useful if it's compatible with low-end 5 V 500 mA or 1 A USB ports. That means the camera can be recharged almost anywhere with nothing more than a USB cable. If the camera can only charge from special high-end USB C PD charger, there's not much advantage over just a regular charger.
I tend to disagree. But I see a problem with my planned argumentation: backwards compatibility is also for USB-C given, you might always use a Standard USB A plug on the charger side. But I have to confess that I don't know if this then again requires internal electronics to reach the 8 V... my assumption is, that this is part of the specifications, though no additional electronics in the camera would be needed. It would just charge slower (regular) while with PD you could benefit from shorter cycles, as modern smartphones and other devices offer. But I'm now in guessing-territory...
09-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

My phone (Google Pixel) has a USB-C port that it uses to charge, along with data transfer, etc. You can use a standard USB cable with a C adapter, works fine, just charges more slowly. When you're using native USB-C it's much faster.

09-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Yep! It's the Japanese Ricoh site. The US site has no mention of a mirrorless camera or lens.
How patriotic!
09-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Two questions. The Image Sync application doesn't work. Can we expect a fix soon?

Will we be able to access all the drive modes of the K1 Mark II through this application?
09-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
and Leica discontinued the M7
Yes, but still have film cameras in the M-A and MP

35mm Cameras | B&H Photo Video

09-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #143

Is this still about questions at Photokina?
09-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ascencio Quote
Is this still about questions at Photokina?
In theory it is.

@Adam; needs to close the thread when its time for his interview with them.

Last edited by reh321; 09-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.
09-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #145
Forum Member

Why the ... does the new PANASONIC S1 body design actually look more than the evolution of a PENTAX DSLR like the K-3, than the K-1 does?
did they join forces behind closed doors?
Which leads to the next and very important question in mind:

WILL WE EVER SEE A THUMBSTICK ON OUR PENTAX DSLRs FOR SELECTING THE FOCUS AREA AS QUICKLY and UNOBTROSIVELY AS POSSIBLE?
(whilst lookin thru our Viewfinders)
09-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I tend to disagree. But I see a problem with my planned argumentation: backwards compatibility is also for USB-C given, you might always use a Standard USB A plug on the charger side. But I have to confess that I don't know if this then again requires internal electronics to reach the 8 V... my assumption is, that this is part of the specifications, though no additional electronics in the camera would be needed. It would just charge slower (regular) while with PD you could benefit from shorter cycles, as modern smartphones and other devices offer. But I'm now in guessing-territory...
Yes, a true USB C PD charger will deliver whatever voltage the device asks for in the range of 5 to 20 V. It's a viable option for charging 8.4 V LiIon batteries in cameras with a minimum of extra stuff inside the camera. But if you look at most off-the-shelf USB chargers, USB ports on computers, USB ports in cars, hotels, powerbricks, etc., they are the older spec of 5V. Those are fine for charging the single cell 3.7 V batteries in phones and compact cameras -- dropping 5 V to 3.7 V is electronically easy. But boosting 5 V from a standard USB port to 7 to 8.4 V for charging a 2-cell battery takes more electronics.

In essence, USB C PD chargers are backward compatible older USB devices but older USB chargers are not forward compatible if the device really needs something other than 5V.
09-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
Why the ... does the new PANASONIC S1 body design actually look more than the evolution of a PENTAX DSLR like the K-3, than the K-1 does?
This is not true.

A K-3 is like my K-30 - the top of the prism housing is essentially flat.

The S1 is like the K-1, the K-3ii, and the KP - the prism housing is the bottom half of a four-sided pyramid - all three resemble SLR cameras of thirty years ago.

The S1 has no design elements from the K-3, but like the modern Pentax cameras designed just before it, seems to have borrowed from SLR cameras of the 1970-89 period.

Last edited by reh321; 09-26-2018 at 06:19 PM.
09-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WILL WE EVER SEE A THUMBSTICK ON OUR PENTAX DSLRs FOR SELECTING THE FOCUS AREA AS QUICKLY and UNOBTROSIVELY AS POSSIBLE?
On that note..."double-tap delete button to delete photos faster" function, please.
09-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Thumbstick? No way. I want voice control.

I'm going to name my camera Marlene.

"Marlene, please focus on the young lad with the leather brief in his left hand."

zzzzttt-zztt <Pentax AF confirmation pause> schnick-schnakt

And I want to be able to do this while holding a shot of Whisky in my hand.
09-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
And I want to be able to do this while holding a shot of Whisky in my hand.
Ya know, you totally lost me on this one, until here. But OK, now that you put it in those terms, I'm willing to give it a go.