Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
-Lens-
1. Will Pentax consider doing something like DFA limited WR?
Look at the FA limited or DFA100wr, they are what I am talking about.
Why do I ask this?
We have seen pancake size non WR DA limited at the expenses of speed. I don’t think FA20 f2.8 is big. I used to have one and now I have DA21 but still wish Pentax make DA21 f2.8 or f2 WR at the size of FA20. Why not? WR body makes absolutely no sense with non WR lenses.
We have seen the optic nearly perfect DFA*50 and a few more in the roadmap with an expense of enormous size, weight, and price. This seems to be what everyone is doing. But Pentax is not well known for following what everyone in the industry is doing.
It will be nice if Pentax try something in the middle, not too big too expensive optical nearly perfect but also not compromise WR and speed just to get to the pancake size. FA limited is in the sweet spot.

2.lens hood (not a question but more of a request)
I would love to see Pentax design more of DA21, DA40 hood’s style for their prime lenses in the future.

- Market –
1. Please share Pentax mid and long-term goal with us.

09-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Think about that for a moment. I of all people wrote that.
There is always non-Pentax section that makes it convenient for other brands to emphasize on Pentax short coming, entice some Pentaxians to look over the fence, to drag them to sell off their Pentax kit and buy something else, they can always use the market place to sell their Pentax equipment. Adorama and B&H also sell other brands, so it doesn't matter it that's a Pentax, or a Sony or a Fuji, or Canon or.. etc.. as long as selling and buying is done, it's all good.
09-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I couldn't read all the propositions in here and I'm sure that Adam and the rest PF people will do another great job at this interview and will be interesting for sure for us the Pentaxians.

Lately in here there is so much whining that becomes quite disturbing and I've ended up unsubscribing from threads due to this negativity that seems to constantly leading the controversy to whether or not Pentax is doomed, Ricoh has abandoned Pentax etc etc along with posters that switching away from Pentax and go to the perfect worlds of other systems...

After this short introduction to put you in the mood, I would love to hear from the Pentax officials a few words about Pentax and the future, the vision and the philosophy in general.

I don't care so much about specific equipment (I do but I don't care to know dates and specs, these will be revealed in time - another parenthesis here - the release of the K-1 and now the DFA* 50/1.4 showed me that Ricoh/Pentax are capable of delivering highest level equipment, at least as good as the top players' offerings, so there is no lack of skills or tools). I would like the Pentax officials to say a few words to the loyal pentaxians, those who are thinking of joining Pentax and those who are thinking of jumping ship. Freely without restrictions, in this highly competitive environment with new releases, the turn to MILCs and high end expensive cameras, what Pentax people would like to say to their customers but also all photographers in general about Pentax and it's vision.

Thank you.
09-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #169
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sigh... It's not on display. The article is wrong.

They have the Theta, 645z, K-1 II, KP, K-70 and the GR.
No action camera?

09-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
No action camera?
Nope.
There was a display with the current lenses, binoculars and accessories - and IIRC a WG, the classic one. But not on the touch&try counter.
09-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #171
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Nope.
There was a display with the current lenses, binoculars and accessories - and IIRC a WG, the classic one. But not on the touch&try counter.
So that is almost historie.

How about those two small stands next to the "big" one? What was there?
09-28-2018, 12:15 AM - 3 Likes   #172
Pentaxian

Taking the image here as a reference: Press Day - Photokina 2018 - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
In the center there's the touch&try counter with the lens,etc display I was talking about on the back.
On the left side, a smaller counter with t-shirts and maybe a printer? I largely ignored it.
In front of that, the large Theta with VR headsets.
On the other side, not visible in that image, there was a GR display with all GRs (including film ones) and the GR III looming above them. Of course, the current GR was also on the touch&try counter.

09-28-2018, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #173

Too silly we have to wait for the PF interview to hope to have any information from Ricoh :/ Ricoh need to communicate more and by itself.
We are on 3rd day of Photokina and still not a word about 11-18mm lens, no new roadmap, no update about K-3III... worst Photokina ever for Pentax.

Last edited by superdave; 09-28-2018 at 01:27 AM.
09-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #174
Forum Member

Assuming there is nothing new from Pentax as no reports here from show yet.
09-28-2018, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Growden Quote
Assuming there is nothing new from Pentax as no reports here from show yet.
the report from PF will come nearer to the end of the show.
09-28-2018, 04:25 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
If there were any actual news, @Adam; would rush it to us here, as he did at CP+ with a stand-alone post telling us that his interview revealed that they are working on a K-3 replacement after all.
09-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Can’t wait!! Post it, post it, post it!
09-28-2018, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #178
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
-Lens-
1. Will Pentax consider doing something like DFA limited WR?
Look at the FA limited or DFA100wr, they are what I am talking about.
Why do I ask this?
We have seen pancake size non WR DA limited at the expenses of speed. I don’t think FA20 f2.8 is big. I used to have one and now I have DA21 but still wish Pentax make DA21 f2.8 or f2 WR at the size of FA20. Why not? WR body makes absolutely no sense with non WR lenses.
We have seen the optic nearly perfect DFA*50 and a few more in the roadmap with an expense of enormous size, weight, and price. This seems to be what everyone is doing. But Pentax is not well known for following what everyone in the industry is doing.
It will be nice if Pentax try something in the middle, not too big too expensive optical nearly perfect but also not compromise WR and speed just to get to the pancake size. FA limited is in the sweet spot.
I also love your idea and vote a +1 on it.

I already suggested that to them somewhere on FB i think...
Just revive the analogue style a bit... cram in loads of rounded aperture blades (at least 10-11) make all of them weather resistant
and call those lenses "Takumar-D"
Those lenses would sell like hotcake.

The DA 20-40mm DC WR is a perfect example how such lenses could look like...
The design just a bit more like original Takumars pls (instead of this Voigtlander look) and also bigger of course to cover Full-Frame and those lenses would be good to go.

Calling them "TAKUMARs" again would draw a lot of attention, believe me... That just how peoples hungry minds work.
09-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Can’t wait!! Post it, post it, post it!
They have
Interview with RICOH - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
09-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
The design just a bit more like original Takumars pls (instead of this Voigtlander look) and also bigger of course to cover Full-Frame and those lenses would be good to go.

Calling them "TAKUMARs" again would draw a lot of attention, believe me... That just how peoples hungry minds work.
I wonder how much retro naming and styling means today. And is that the direction Pentax wants or needs to go? The original Takumars ended production 40 years ago or more. The resurrected Pentax line of Takumars stopped in the 1990s, over 20 years ago. I'm middle aged and that's old enough that I know little about them. That kind of branding probably isn't bringing any new Pentax customers in the fold, maybe just a few who are nostalgic about half a century ago.

On the other hand there seems to be no shortage of companies trying to cash in on photographic nostalgia, even when it seems to make little technical sense.