Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 150 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
From recollection, it's best not to think about it as a K-3 Mark III. It's going to a bigger evolution that that. But also that current K-3 users would feel at home with it.

I actually posted about it around April or May, but I can't find my own post about it now.
Take a look at your 4-17-2018 post. Imaging Resource's CP+2018 interview with Ricoh Imaging - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com That looks like what you are referring to. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't have to be a K-3 MarkIII

09-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Closed questions. Questions about future products that we know they can't answer. Feature requests. It's like an interrogation where the interrogator has no power over the person interrogated. I'm not surprised so little of interest comes out.

I wish questions would be asked that allowed the Ricoh people to talk about how they work, how they determine customer needs and so on. Something interesting might come out of that.

About the K-3 replacement, I find the omission of the question interesting in itself. What if they got an more encouraging answer off the record, but they were sworn to secrecy? Remember, Arai-san already said six months ago that they were working on it, and more has been said at events in Japan. This camera is coming soon, I think.

Remember, you don't have a right to know a company's internal plans. My company wouldn't tell, and I bet your company wouldn't either. Things are internal until they are announced.
I understand all this, and mostly agree with it
K3ii replacement - Page 111 - PentaxForums.com
but considering current inventory levels I believe Ricoh would have been smart to reaffirm what they said at CP+, not because we 'deserve' this, but because there has been so much angst over it. Personally, I currently plan to purchase a KP someday - unless I see something that fits my wants/budget better before then, but there are people who really do need something at the K-7/5/3 level, and they're starting to feel like they are working on a high-wire without a safety net.

Last edited by reh321; 09-28-2018 at 08:30 PM.
09-28-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Firstly let me apologize for my language, but who the hell was the interviewer and why was there no specific question about the K-3II replacement. In my opinion that should have been question #1 and if Ricoh/Pentax declined to answer it should have been reported as such not brushed aside. If that had been the case then people interested in a K-3II replacement either could decide to go another course or stay the course. Just a simple "What are the plans going forward regarding the K-3II replacement" would have been sufficient. But now we have to be deluged with a bunch of future negative comments until the time that they actually do something.

My opinion is someone dropped the ball big time in the interview question phase.

Just my 2 cents worth.
As others have already, Ricoh never answers anything about their plans. If the interviewer did then the whole interview would be "No comment". Knowing Ricoh, they release products on their own schedule.

Still, I agree the interview was a little thin.
09-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
yes most definitely,

say nothing, that might be the way the Japanese do it in Japan, but, a lot of their customers come from other countries, they want to know something.

09-29-2018, 12:31 AM - 2 Likes   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So.. they basically said nothing important. EOF.

This kind of sucks as much as when you see all your friends laughing, drinking and eating in the bar and you can't do it because you have diarrhea.
09-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
So.. they basically said nothing important. EOF.

This kind of sucks as much as when you see all your friends laughing, drinking and eating in the bar and you can't do it because you have diarrhea.
This very graphic comparison makes me feel sorry - for anyone in such a shItty situation...
09-29-2018, 01:05 AM   #217
Banned

Closed questions. Questions about future products that we know they can't answer. Feature requests. It's like an interrogation where the interrogator has no power over the person interrogated. I'm not surprised so little of interest comes out.

I wish questions would be asked that allowed the Ricoh people to talk about how they work, how they determine customer needs and so on. Something interesting might come out of that.

About the K-3 replacement, I find the omission of the question interesting in itself. What if they got an more encouraging answer off the record, but they were sworn to secrecy? Remember, Arai-san already said six months ago that they were working on it, and more has been said at events in Japan. This camera is coming soon, I think.

Remember, you don't have a right to know a company's internal plans. My company wouldn't tell, and I bet your company wouldn't either. Things are internal until they are announced.
A good interview is not easy. The people on the other side of the tablet ofcourse also have to be willingly to give a good and smooth story and must be allowed to talk about things. This wasn't that kind of interview.

I did one almost 5 years ago and one of the people on the tablet was there also.

Ricoh Imaging Europe S.A.S. - Report of a meeting! - PentaxForums.com

09-29-2018, 01:06 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
a lot of their customers come from other countries, they want to know something.
They certainly dont want to attract new ones either!

Retaining existing customers is the reason CaNik are in FF Mirrorless now,Ricoh is ignoring the user base.(bar a tiny niche of GRers)

No specific information about much at all.

Yet ALL the other companies either gave information about new things coming OR had new bodies/lenses
09-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They certainly dont want to attract new ones either!

Retaining existing customers is the reason CaNik are in FF Mirrorless now,Ricoh is ignoring the user base.(bar a tiny niche of GRers)

No specific information about much at all.

Yet ALL the other companies either gave information about new things coming OR had new bodies/lenses
I would not want to be an Olympus user atm. Will m4/3 survive? ApsC is not larger camera and lenswise, for high IQ also Panasonic now goes for FF... ouch, that must hurt if you are invested there... or did I miss something?
09-29-2018, 01:23 AM   #220
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would not want to be an Olympus user atm. Will m4/3 survive? ApsC is not larger camera and lenswise, for high IQ also Panasonic now goes for FF... ouch, that must hurt if you are invested there... or did I miss something?
You have seen that right. We will see how m4/3th will develop over the coming three years and if there is a bright future!
09-29-2018, 01:26 AM - 4 Likes   #221
Veteran Member

If it was me who questioned them, they would hide and call for security!

Not really :P
09-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You have seen that right. We will see how m4/3th will develop over the coming three years and if there is a bright future!
m4/3th are squeezed between 1" power compacts and larger sensor formats, slr with such a sensor size is a deadend in my opinion. It is possible that APSC will disappear the same way from the FF democratisation.
09-29-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #223
Pentaxian

Both M43 and Apsc are not going anywhere.

Olympus have a new body announcement in early 2019,Panasonic have the G90/95 developing(its their answer to the BMpocket 4K).

The lenses are extensive and Panasonics new 10-25 F1.7 shows their committment.Its a 10yo system so its filled out.$$$ony FF is only 5.

Fuji in Apsc have 30+ lenses and around 7 current bodies and their sales show steady growth.It started 2012 for ILCs!

$$$ony has an announcement in OCT, its not the A7Siii,so probably the A6700/A7000(theres conflicting names).They can use both Apsc and FF lenses.Its here to stay.

---------- Post added 09-29-18 at 08:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If it was me who questioned them, they would hide and call for security!
Is next year ..the year of the Primes?

---------- Post added 09-29-18 at 08:04 PM ----------

Kenspo, you tried...thats all you could do.

with Tamron doing many mounts,you have FREEDOM!
09-29-2018, 02:16 AM   #224
Veteran Member

Why was there only 10 questions in the interview, taking into account many other pertinent questions posted here by the Pentax community members?
09-29-2018, 02:20 AM   #225
Pentaxian

A thin interview at a thin Photokina. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised...