Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr Fees

Did I miss something. My flickr cost just went from $6.95 for 3 months to $17.97????

10-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Smugmug bought Flickr so fees have increased if you're not grandfathered in.
10-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I didn’t know Flickr charged for anything, I’ve been using it for years for free. What do you get when you pay?
10-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
What do you get when you pay?
Advanced stats, ad-free browsing (both for you and your viewers), backup with Auto-uploadr, unlimited storage, 15% off Adobe Creative Cloud, $35 off a Blurb photo book once a year ($70 minimum purchase, annual subscription only), 20% off Priime's preset bundle, 50% off first year subscription to Portfolio Box (I don't see this sticking around now that SmugMug owns Flickr).

I'm grandfathered in, so I get Flickr Pro for $24.95/year...I wonder how much longer that will last...

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-01-2018 at 08:31 AM.
10-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Did I miss something. My flickr cost just went from $6.95 for 3 months to $17.97????
I had a Flickr pro account until I had the same problem occur twice in 2 months. The issue was that I stopped receiving notifications via email and the Flickr app of likes and comments. To get this issue corrected was a nightmare as Yahoo didn’t have any way to report Flickr issues. I eventually was able to contact then by trying to report them inappropriate content. Also when I tried to find out what the issue was they would not tell me. Even after I explained this was the second time this had happened.

Because the pro service pretty much only gave me monitoring of views and likes. I asked myself why keep paying if I couldn’t get support for something that was tied in to why I was paying. So I said goodbye to pro and have not had an issue since and saved $50 a year also.

As an FYI I have a SmugMug account that I use for friends and family to download and order prints. Let’s just say that SmugMug support was amazing. I had questions regarding the Flickr acquisition and they answered those and also explained the differences between the services. As if that wasn’t enough I received an email asking if they could call me. This was a Saturday and it was his day off. We probably talked for at least 40 minutes discussing the merger and differences and how I could utilize SmugMug. One of the questions I asked had to deal with Flickr support and unfortunately the answer was nothing was going to change with Flickr’s support. That was too bad as SmugMug’s support was amazing. Also I was looking at one of their their top tiers and after telling him what I do he told to go with a less expensive option.

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 08:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Advanced stats, ad-free browsing (both for you and your viewers), backup with Auto-uploadr, unlimited storage, 15% off Adobe Creative Cloud, $35 off a Blurb photo book once a year (annual subscription only), 20% off Priime's preset bundle, 50% off first year subscription to Portfolio Box (I don't see this sticking around now that SmugMug owns Flickr).

I'm grandfathered in, so I get Flickr Pro for $24.95/year...I wonder how much longer that will last...
The Adobe discount is a onetime deal. That was the final nail in the pro coffin.
10-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
So I said goodbye to pro and have not had an issue since and saved $50 a year also.
I have never had to pay $50 a year for flickr. It's always been only $24.95 for a year and now that Smugmug bought it and I'm grandfathered in, it's still only $24.95 a year for a pro account, just paid in August for renewal of my Pro account.
10-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure what is required to be grandfathered in. Been paying for Flickr since 2012. $6.95 per quarter (may have gone up over time). But this sudden jump is a killer. I have a ton of photographs stored on the sight and it would be a herculean effort to get them all off. Not sure what I am going to do.

10-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I'm not sure what is required to be grandfathered in. Been paying for Flickr since 2012. $6.95 per quarter (may have gone up over time). But this sudden jump is a killer. I have a ton of photographs stored on the sight and it would be a herculean effort to get them all off. Not sure what I am going to do.
I don't remember when I bought my "pro" account, but am grandfathered in at $24.95 annually and have never had quarterly payments. Grandfathering happened when Flickr changed terms to give unlimited storage to non-pro users. "Pro" users were incented to keep paying by offering a guaranty of no price increase and by other perq's such as no ads.

Steve
10-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
The Adobe discount is a onetime deal. That was the final nail in the pro coffin.
The offer is still present for my account, but is for the first year only as I would expect.

Steve
10-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at Pro now - I have never had it before - they are showing it for $4.17 / month for a yearly up front purchase and $5.99 / month for month to month payments.
Attached Images

10-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using the Flickr free account since 2010 and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm using Adblock Origin with Firefox and have never seen a single ad or popup. I use the account mostly to host my images for posting here on PF. I occasionally will send an image link to a friend or family. No complaints from anyone about ads, although I'm going to ask around. Anyway, it's difficult for me to complain about a terabyte of free storage.
10-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Looking at Pro now - I have never had it before - they are showing it for $4.17 / month for a yearly up front purchase and $5.99 / month for month to month payments.
Looks like they took away the unlimited storage offer...though the grandfathered accounts still have it...

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.34.45 PM.png
Views: 211
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 2.35.12 PM.png
Views: 234
Size:  46.9 KB
10-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Looks like they took away the unlimited storage offer...though the grandfathered accounts still have it...
Yep, same thing here.

Steve
10-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions

"When grandfathered subscriptions next come up for renewal, they’ll be charged the current Pro rate, though the plan duration and billing cycle will stay the same. New Pros currently pay $49.99 per year or $5.99 per month, depending on the plan. Therefore, 2-year Pros will pay $99.98 bi-annually, 1-year Pros will pay $49.99 annually, and 3-month Pros will pay $17.97 every three months."

I am currently on the $24.95 plan until my subscription is up for renewal next April. Until then I will be watching to see if paying twice the amount I'm paying now will be worth it.
10-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just paid $50 USD (1 year)to move from free to Pro on Flickr last week. I had been free since 2014.