QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Go together like a horse and carriage?

oops, wrong song.
Perhaps, but it's based on the same concept

10-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I originally got into digital because I was having to scan so many images. That was worth it even though I couldn't get decent prints from my 800x600 sensor.
You're much braver than I am. I experimented in 2003 and decided I needed at least 3000x2000 pixel images for digital to give me the quality I was getting from film - and then in 2007 8mp cameras were finally in the price range I was willing to pay for .... I just continued to use my film camera until then. I guess I could go back to film {I have two film cameras packed away in the closet} if I 'had to' - that is, if I could find film, developing, and batteries.
10-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #33
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have:
3 digital SLR's.
4 film SLR's.
1 film rangefinder.
1 digital P&S.
1 Speed graphic.
14x5 monorail.
1 Original Polaroid SX-70.
1 Wildlife camera in the back yard - 1 broken one on my shelf.
1 Color enlarger. (2.25x2.25 max)
Add in the dead/dying phones and you get a few more.

If Pentax goes away I have the ability to keep up the practice of image making. If all fails, I will move somewhere so I can build a darkroom and shoot with the monorail. If I took all of the above equipment and sold it, I would have just about enough money to get a Sony something or another with a kit lens.
10-02-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photography reviewers and commentators on the other hand are doing very well indeed.

10-02-2018, 11:33 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Unless of course, being doomed is like infinity, you can't be more doomed, or the doomedest. You can only be doomed.
Well, regarding infinity you are not exactly right. There is quite a difference between aleph-naught infinite and aleph-one infinite, for example. Ask Mr. Cantor. Easy to digest explanations start here: Aleph number - Wikipedia Cackle. Now you're doomedest.
10-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go together like a horse and carriage?

oops, wrong song.
I'm always confusing Frank Sinatra with the Rolling Stones myself
10-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very amusing.

The reality, of course, is that none of us (not even the experts) knows the future of the industry. We tend to advance theories that the gear we like will flourish or at the least survive, but obviously there is no guarantee.

I do think the companies that are investing a lot in new mounts are risking the most. I would say too that Canon is in the best shape and they can eat Sony's lunch whenever they want. I'd finally say that while we focus on specifications here, most consumers aren't focused on those sorts of things, particularly not on things like DXO Mark scores of sensors. While we care about those sorts of things, I just don't think they move the needle for most folks.

10-03-2018, 04:26 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

As the owner of two Samsung NX bodies and three lenses, I can recommend the ownership of dead camera brands. My total investment so far is about $300!

If something dies, I will just look on Gumtree for another bargain. Oh wait, I do that anyway.
10-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fantastic post, had a good laugh there!
10-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
As the owner of two Samsung NX bodies and three lenses, I can recommend the ownership of dead camera brands. My total investment so far is about $300!

If something dies, I will just look on Gumtree for another bargain. Oh wait, I do that anyway.
How in the...
On eBay going price in EU is around
700€ body only...
10-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm still holding out for the one which had an android tablet built in - I love that idea, but I've never seen one of those going for anything like a reasonable cost.
10-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The market for lens mount adapters is booming. You have to sell stocks of camera companies and buy stock of Metabone and Novoflex. Just do a search of lens mount adapters on amazon, I get 106 pages of adapters !!!
I previously said that adapters are a way of facilitating the migration from one mount to another. I must now quality that statement: adapters are a way of facilitating the migration from a doomed mount to a not-yet-doomed one.
They work... for now. But soon, all mounts will be doomed.

---------- Post added 03-10-18 at 07:22 PM ----------

As the owner of two Samsung NX bodies and three lenses, I can recommend the ownership of dead camera brands.
Don't they rot and smell bad, like dead fish do?
10-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Don't they rot and smell bad, like dead fish do?
My demo model (197 clicks) Samsung GX-10 smelled like a brand new camera Not bad for GBP £99
10-03-2018, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My demo model (197 clicks) Samsung GX-10 smelled like a brand new camera Not bad for GBP £99
And you know because you gave it a good sniff?
Corbin the dog also gives everything a good sniff.

10-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

And you know because you gave it a good sniff?
Believe it or not, I actually did

If I'm buying used electronic gear, I always ask if the item has been stored in a smoke-free environment, and when I receive it, I check it over to validate that. I also clean anything I'm keeping, and that often shows up how well or badly items have been stored. Soviet lenses and lens cases shipped from Russia and Eastern Europe will sometimes have a distinct aroma of tobacco smoke, white lettering is often yellow, and any colored markings might have a dull appearance...

I didn't used to bother asking, but many years ago I bought a vintage ham radio transceiver. It looked to be in immaculate condition externally, but as soon as I switched it on, there were problems. When I took the top off to look inside, the circuit boards and switch-gear were coated in what I soon realised was years of nicotine I returned the radio to the previous owner... And ever since then, I only buy equipment from smoke-free environments.