Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: As a user of a Flickr free account, will you upgrade when the 1K image limit starts?
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to have more than 1000 images on Flickr. 2733.75%
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to enjoy the additional perks. 45.00%
No, I will not upgrade. I'll stay with the free account and continue to use it. 4252.50%
No, I will not upgrade and will move my photo hosting to a site other than Flickr. 78.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I do not have thousands of images on Flickr and I probably never will have that many photos posted to the site. My free account will be more than enough for me. I have photos posted elsewhere along with Flickr, so I feel I have plenty of options and room to expand. I like Flickr, but it's not the end all for photo files.

11-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
To quote PentaPixel:

Flickr Limits Free Plan to 1,000 Photos, Upgrades Pro Members

"If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos in your account, you have until January 8th, 2019, to download photos over the 1,000 limit. After that date, you will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr.
The quote from Petapixel implies that if you have over 1000 images then once you have deleted enough to take the number down to 1000 you will be unable to upload any more. This is consistent with the Flickr statement since you still have 1000 images.

11-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I started deleting almost 3000 pictures before flickr starts deleting them randomly. Although I don't use flickr any more, I'd like to keep the account inactive. But I will not post there anymore. Ever.
11-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

To quote PentaPixel:

Flickr Limits Free Plan to 1,000 Photos, Upgrades Pro Members

"If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos in your account, you have until January 8th, 2019, to download photos over the 1,000 limit. After that date, you will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. And after February 5th, 2019, Flickr will begin deleting files that are over your 1,000 photo/video limit, starting from oldest to newest, until your account contains only 1,000 files."

No mention of if over the limit concerning uploads. So maybe PentaPixel quote them wrongly or Flickr changed the text (as they did before with the change of ownership notices).

ImageShack does not allow uploads on their free accounts so it would be reasonable that Flickr might follow their model.
That wording looks like PetaPixel's own words, and not a quote from flickr. It could also be read differently- i.e. "If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos...THEN the following stuff applies". I am not a Flickr free member with over 1000 photos, so there's nothing to indicate a "no upload" status applies to me.

Elsewhere Flickr has stated they were going back to Flickr's old model, where the free version had a limit of 200 and pay for more. Under that model, you could very much upload photos with a free account. You can read more about the reasons behind the changes on their blog.

---------- Post added 11-03-18 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I started deleting almost 3000 pictures before flickr starts deleting them randomly. ...
It's not random:

"After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit."

11-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's not random:

"After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit."
You are right. I meant that I prefer to decide which images to keep, and which to delete, instead of flickr delete them by date. It will be random deleting for me since I don't have bad/good images selected by date.
11-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ll keep the free account for such things as Daily In and Traveling [camera] social group posting (if I ever get out of my chair and start posting to them), but this will force me to decide
  1. Whether to actually display my images
  2. If so, where to do that

ATM I use pbase.com to host images of items for sale here. Otherwise I don’t upload much to the Internet besides my tiny PF Albums.
11-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I use use.com for extra storage and will continue to do so while it remains free. I have been storing files there for the last 3 years. There are options other than Flickr. The community experience may not be the same, but it's free place to host photo's.

About Us - Use.com Image Hosting

11-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #38
Inactive Account

No, because i don't even have a photo on my Flockr account. I show my works on IG. Family and travel photos are on Amazon prime and gooogle drive. Things for sale, will be a direct deal.
11-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #39
Pentaxian

In the old days you could only display 200 photos but you could have many more. There was a maximum number of mbs you could up load per day.
It would be nice if they kept a little buffer space for files. Compare filed then delete back to 1000. It's easier to manage and organize that way. A work around is to limit the free account to say 950 to achieve a personal buffer of 50 photos.
11-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After Jan 8, 2019 you won't be able to upload new content to free accounts. Period.
where did you see this information? What I read was that if you have more than 1,000 free photos posted Flickr would start to eliminate from the oldest photo till they pared your account down to 1,000 photos. I must have missed the ban on any additional posting when you are well below 1,000 photos in your free account.
11-04-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
where did you see this information? What I read was that if you have more than 1,000 free photos posted Flickr would start to eliminate from the oldest photo till they pared your account down to 1,000 photos. I must have missed the ban on any additional posting when you are well below 1,000 photos in your free account.
That's because it isn't correct.

Flickr is just limiting free accounts to 1000 photos. Full stop. That's it. And if you don't pay or delete your photos yourself, they will delete your oldest photos for you to get to that number.

If you are under a thousand photos then you won't be affected till you get to that magic number.
11-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I questioned continuing with $25 a year. But now that it is going to be $50 per year? No way!
11-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
That's because it isn't correct.

Flickr is just limiting free accounts to 1000 photos. Full stop. That's it. And if you don't pay or delete your photos yourself, they will delete your oldest photos for you to get to that number.

If you are under a thousand photos then you won't be affected till you get to that magic number.
as I read the announcement from Flickr, you are correct

this is the cut and paste [ I have added nothing ]:

" Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn’t Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant free offering.

If you are a free member with more than 1,000 photos or videos, you will have ample time to upgrade to Pro (for 30% off your first year) or download your photos and videos.*

Read more about this decision. . . .

* Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit. "

you can find the above language at the bottom of this link

Home | Flickr
11-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I questioned continuing with $25 a year. But now that it is going to be $50 per year? No way!
I believe it is 35 dollars for the first year, if that makes a difference.
11-05-2018, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #45
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm missing the option to vote, as I don't know what to do yet. I'm still under 500 shots and use Flickr only to host my Single In Challenge shots. It will take me couple of years before I reach 1000, so I'm not in any hurry to make decicion, but I probably have to eventually. Moving to someplace else isn't really an option, so it's either pay or stay under 1000. For latter it's either by deleting bad old shots or creating an other account in order to get an other 1000 to go. There really is no reason why I would need to keep them all under same account.

I have an account on an other site which I have been using far longer. So far it's free and unlimited. I will keep using this site for all the other shots I want to share, as it's linked to photomanager I use, until I encounter some problems with it.

Now that I'm thinking this, I'd say it's highly unlikely that I will pay for it.

EDIT: Well, you can forget the start of the message
Voted no, I will continue to use free account. Didn't know that when I started to write the message.