Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: As a user of a Flickr free account, will you upgrade when the 1K image limit starts?
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to have more than 1000 images on Flickr. 2733.75%
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to enjoy the additional perks. 45.00%
No, I will not upgrade. I'll stay with the free account and continue to use it. 4252.50%
No, I will not upgrade and will move my photo hosting to a site other than Flickr. 78.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

If you currently have a free Flickr account will you now pay to move to a pro account

I wanted to post a quick poll to gauge the proportion of people using Flickr's free account who will upgrade to the pro account when the 1000 image/video cap comes into place and to look at the motivation for that choice, whichever way you choose to go.

Please only vote if you currently have a free account on Flickr.

Thanks

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 11-02-2018 at 05:15 AM.
11-02-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr is both a means to display your images and a forum and I must admit that I like Flickr. I have therefore just updated my free account to a Pro account. The price they ask is after all not very high for what you get.
11-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have two accounts. One is nearing a thousand and I will upgrade it. The other is still way off and that will remain a free account. It will take me years to fill that and by then the older pics will be pretty irrelevant so I'll just delete a bunch.
11-02-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I did switch yesterday to the pro ( 8,000 plus photos )

it is the only way I have for folks not on the forums to see my images

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-02-2018 at 05:59 AM.
11-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I switched over yesterday so I guess I don't qualify.
11-02-2018, 05:59 AM - 7 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use Flickr purely as a place to host photos for posting here, and I expect it'll take me a few more years to get anywhere near 1000.

And call me pernickety, but I'd never switch to a Flickr "Pro" account simply because it's called a "Pro" account. I absolutely refuse to ever own or use anything with words like "Pro" or "Executive" or "Exclusive" on it. So I'm glad PF uses the nicely neutral "Site Supporter", because the site never would have got a penny out of me if the word "Pro" had been involved. And let's face it, the number of actual professional photographers on Flickr is a miniscule percentage of the "Pro" accounts.

There's nothing more amateurish than a thing that says "Pro" on it.
11-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

switched yesterday - I've been waiting for Flickr to upgrade their Pro accounts to more than a Tb of storage; now that it's unlimited, I figure that I should pay for it....

11-02-2018, 06:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Personally, if I exceed 1000 images I would consider that a failure of curation. It would be time to delete, not time to upgrade.
As it is I'll stick to the free account and about 100 images.
11-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been a paid member (or "Pro", if you prefer ) for over ten years.
11-02-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I had a Pro account and dropped it due to notification issues that I was unable to get technical support for. When SmugMug purchased Flickr I sent them a support request e-mail to find how this was going to impact me and what changes were planned. The thing that truly amazed me me about their support was that I received a phone call from them without even requesting one. They just blew me away with that response and we talked for a good hour. At the end of that call I signed up for a paid SmugMug account to go along with my free Flickr account. I didn't upgrade the Flickr account at that time as there was still no plan to add support for Flickr.

I currently have less than 600 photos and didn't need to upgrade. But when I heard that they had added technical support to the Pro account. And my previous experience with SmugMug support. I knew it was time to purchase a Pro account again.
11-02-2018, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I switched over yesterday so I guess I don't qualify.
I switched a while ago, but voted anyway. They didn't have enough votes in that poll.

Last edited by normhead; 11-02-2018 at 08:11 AM.
11-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #12

I only want a host site so I can share my photos on Forums. Flickr never really did this any better than other hosting sites, indeed several other sites do it better with easier to use interfaces. Flickr's Pro accounts don't offer me anything I need.

The free account will be pretty much useless after January 8, 2019 when you will no longer be able to upload new material.

I only opened a flickr account because it was free with my Yahoo account.

So I'll close my flickr account.
11-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I only want a host site so I can share my photos on Forums. Flickr never really did this any better than other hosting sites, indeed several other sites do it better with easier to use interfaces. Flickr's Pro accounts don't offer me anything I need.

The free account will be pretty much useless after January 8, 2019 when you will no longer be able to upload new material.

I only opened a flickr account because it was free with my Yahoo account.

So I'll close my flickr account.
The thing I get from flickr that I didn't get from other accounts is I can post images of any size. I always post at 2650x1600 so other iMac 27" users can see the images on their screens, the same way I can see them on mine, and I may at some point go to 3840 x 2160. I don't know of another free service that offers that kind of resolution. It's all about what is important to you. Plus I like their image find, I recently posted a link of page showing 43mm ltd. images on flicker. and I could do that for any camera body or lens, I see how many people are viewing my images, and I see how my camera stacks up in terms of images taken compared to the most popular cameras. There's just a lot there I'm willing to pay for. But then I'm a curious person, who wants others to see his photos in the best resolution possible.

Unfortuantley now that I'm going HD, that's no longer possible...peole printing at 100 DPI can already steal my images and make prints as large as 20 x 16. I'm bing generous enough already.
11-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #14

sad news , i have a free account and more than 1000 photos .... and I'm not very motivated to pay bad panda

I will see by January if I pay or they will shave me for free
11-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm only about half way to 1000 photos on Flickr right now (after about 18 months of free membership) and I only use my Flickr account for sharing photos, either on this site or for family and friends, so I will continue to make the free account work for me.
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Personally, if I exceed 1000 images I would consider that a failure of curation.
The only reason I'm using Flickr for photos I've posted on this site is to make higher resolution versions available, I still have unused attachment space on Pentaxforums. When I use Flickr for sharing photos with family and friends, those photos are of interest to other people for a very short period of time, so I'm in the same boat. When I find an unsuspecting victim to show my favorite photos to, I have about 2000 images stored as JPEGs on a notebook. I back up my DNG files to a portable hard drive; if that external drive is damaged in a fire or flood to the point where none of its contents can be professionally recovered, I will have more important things to worry about.