Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: As a user of a Flickr free account, will you upgrade when the 1K image limit starts?
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to have more than 1000 images on Flickr. 2733.75%
Yes, I will pay to upgrade to a pro account because I want to enjoy the additional perks. 45.00%
No, I will not upgrade. I'll stay with the free account and continue to use it. 4252.50%
No, I will not upgrade and will move my photo hosting to a site other than Flickr. 78.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I have about 2000 images stored as JPEGs on a notebook.
I have an iPad mini that fits into the back of my camera bag, with albums on every topic I specialize in. I find that's the most practical way to show my images if people ask.

11-02-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The free account will be pretty much useless after January 8, 2019 when you will no longer be able to upload new material.
It won't be useless to me. I'm at just over 300 photos after 8 years. At my current rate and assuming no furthur reductions in service, I should be good to keep uploading new material for well over a decade.

---------- Post added 11-02-18 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Personally, if I exceed 1000 images I would consider that a failure of curation. It would be time to delete, not time to upgrade.
As it is I'll stick to the free account and about 100 images.
Likewise, I don't have 1000 things I think are worth uploading.

Not everyone uses it the same way though.
11-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can we have an option - "I'm already a 'pro' user but I want to see the poll results" ?
11-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It won't be useless to me. I'm at just over 300 photos after 8 years. At my current rate and assuming no furthur reductions in service, I should be good to keep uploading new material for well over a decade.
After Jan 8, 2019 you won't be able to upload new content to free accounts. Period.

11-02-2018, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I will continue to renew my Pro subscription. The majority of my paid work (license and print sales) have come from being found on Flickr.
that is well worth the $49
11-02-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

None of the survey choices apply and I feel soooo very left out.

I am an existing Pro subscriber at a grandfathered rate and will automatically transition to the new fee schedule. My reasoning is the same as for my original Pro subscription (whatever that was).

Steve
11-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
None of the survey choices apply and I feel soooo very left out.

I am an existing Pro subscriber at a grandfathered rate and will automatically transition to the new fee schedule. My reasoning is the same as for my original Pro subscription (whatever that was).

Steve
This is why you feel left out (see below)

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Please only vote if you currently have a free account on Flickr.

Thanks

11-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After Jan 8, 2019 you won't be able to upload new content to free accounts. Period.
That is only the case if the free account is over the 1000 picture limit.
11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

That simply isn't true. Only free accounts with over 1000 images will be unable to upload new content.

11-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I feel soooo very left out.
Me too! Fine, we'll start our own survey, with blackjack!
11-02-2018, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry that is not quite right

here is a link to the official Flickr.com announcement

Home | Flickr

if you have more than 1,000 photos and do not convert to the " pro " status, your photos will be culled by flickr to reach the limit

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr.

After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.
so those with free accounts and less than 1,000 photos or videos can still upload to Flickr[
11-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

See the bits linked to and quoted by aslyfox above.

If you've seen otherwise, by all means share.
11-02-2018, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rondoudou87 Quote
sad news , i have a free account and more than 1000 photos .... and I'm not very motivated to pay bad panda

I will see by January if I pay or they will shave me for free
Don't get shaved Rondoudou. Would miss your images.

I've got about 1500 photos on Flickr. I could cull them and keep under the 1000 limit, but why? I've gone to the trouble of posting them, tagging them, sorting them, adding them to groups and linking to them here. Lots of posts here would be left with dead links. And I'd constantly have to be deleting to add new photos.

Nor does changing hosts appeal. I've got to know how Flickr works and while there are things that could be improved, it meets my needs. I like being able to participate in groups. To go to a new provider and reupload would be a heap of work and have another learning curve. And for what? To save less than $1 a week? Against the other costs of photography as a hobby, that's trivial.

Last edited by Des; 11-03-2018 at 01:27 PM.
11-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I use Flickr mostly for sharing albums of places and events with friends and family, and for hosting images for PF posts. I have over 5000 images there currently. I could certainly cull, but for the price I'll probably go to the Pro account.
11-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
See the bits linked to and quoted by aslyfox above.

If you've seen otherwise, by all means share.
To quote PentaPixel:

Flickr Limits Free Plan to 1,000 Photos, Upgrades Pro Members

"If you’re a Flickr free member who already has over 1,000 photos in your account, you have until January 8th, 2019, to download photos over the 1,000 limit. After that date, you will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. And after February 5th, 2019, Flickr will begin deleting files that are over your 1,000 photo/video limit, starting from oldest to newest, until your account contains only 1,000 files."

No mention of if over the limit concerning uploads. So maybe PentaPixel quote them wrongly or Flickr changed the text (as they did before with the change of ownership notices).

ImageShack does not allow uploads on their free accounts so it would be reasonable that Flickr might follow their model.