Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If you put the umbrella in front you have less light and more if it's behind is technically true.

This is why I always look outside at noon for things I lose inside. More light helps see things.
(Laughs)

11-29-2018, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #32

Photos: Gallery
As someone who does a lot of "cheap" Santa photo setups for non-profit organizations as a way to help out the local community I always cringe when my wife decides it is time to take the kids to get Santa photos done at the mall.

So far she has managed to prevent me from bringing soft-boxes and my battery powered strobes and setting them up. Deer in the headlights describes most of the mall photos, deer with grey flesh and shiny white spots in the eyes.

The ones I do for the non-profits are by no means a masterpiece, however you could recognize the children as you own and probably won't want to rush them to hospital based on grey flesh.
12-15-2018, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Walking in my local shopping centre, which is a hotbed of crime, even they get it right …
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #34
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by michealm Quote
As someone who does a lot of "cheap" Santa photo setups for non-profit organizations as a way to help out the local community I always cringe when my wife decides it is time to take the kids to get Santa photos done at the mall.

So far she has managed to prevent me from bringing soft-boxes and my battery powered strobes and setting them up. Deer in the headlights describes most of the mall photos, deer with grey flesh and shiny white spots in the eyes.

The ones I do for the non-profits are by no means a masterpiece, however you could recognize the children as you own and probably won't want to rush them to hospital based on grey flesh.
A couple properly placed lamps from your livingroom and a K-70 or KP should be adequate.

12-15-2018, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Walking in my local shopping centre, which is a hotbed of crime, even they get it right …
50/50 chance.🤔
12-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I saw a mall Santa with his photo elve the other day. He was rocking an entry level Nikon with kit lens and popup flash. I suppose the moms and tots were happy...

Today I was priveleged to see an elve at work with a Canon EOS 5D MARK IV. I think the lens was the 70-200mm f/4 L. He had two studio flashes with shoot through umbrellas, facing the right way. A really professional elve, this one.

In both cases Santa Claus had a real beard.
12-24-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I was at the daughter's for Christmas and looked up at their "Sears studio" family shot. 1/4 of her husband's face was lost in a dark flash shadow. Simply awful.

The worst I heard though was a student who paid to have a mall shot taken of her dressed as a Christmas elf. Apparently the guy got impatient with her trying to get her rather large breasts arranged properly and just reached in and arranged them himself without even asking. And he had a female assistant there, so really no possible excuse. She came to class after Christmas and asked if I thought that was OK. ( I was tempted to ask if she thought it was OK, but when you teach high school, you never do anything you wouldn't do in a court of law.)
12-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Must have been a mighty powerful flash, Steve. LOL
Depends on how reflective the clouds are.

12-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The photog who shot my sister's outdoor wedding had her flash with set up to bounce off the sky. I hope they got at least a few keepers.

Steve
Come on, would you like they did not know about your sister's wedding in Andromeda?
12-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
My wife has been going through old school photos of our sons. Most of these look as though they could have been shot this way.
In sixth grade I was about a foot taller than anyone else in my small Catholic School class. The “Professional “ photographer who took the class picture had me stand on the far rear corner of the photo. My head was a full head above anyone else and was cropped out of the photo. I was the headless child. No posing skills by that photographer whatsoever.
12-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photog who shot my sister's outdoor wedding had her flash with set up to bounce off the sky. I hope they got at least a few keepers.

Steve
Maybe the moon was out!
12-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have also seen a couple of togs, outdoors, with the Stofen style plastic diffusers on their attached flashes.
Come to think of it, she did have an Omni-Bounce or similar attached.

Steve
12-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Apparently the guy got impatient with her trying to get her rather large breasts arranged properly and just reached in and arranged them himself without even asking.
In this day and age behavior like that would bring a lawsuit down on his head in an instant, though bra-burning feminists would also deliver a side order of getting run down by an angry mob along with that.
12-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
One of the sadder things in life - folks who have no clue on how to get the best results from expensive equipment. Folk like me who can't afford said equipment but know hot it works then have to look on.

In one sense true, but explain why all the complaints that Pentax wasn’t a pro system because we did not have full frame.?

With the lighting this guy has, my Q with the standard 5-15 zoom would do the job
12-29-2019, 06:02 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
In sixth grade I was about a foot taller than anyone else in my small Catholic School class. The “Professional “ photographer who took the class picture had me stand on the far rear corner of the photo. My head was a full head above anyone else and was cropped out of the photo. I was the headless child. No posing skills by that photographer whatsoever.
Sounds like you could have had fun with that if you played it right. Mom, I don't need a haircut. I'm headless, see!