Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pro Standards Are Dropping ...

How NOT to Use a Reflective Umbrella

11-18-2018, 11:04 PM - 10 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always thought umbrellas are there to protect the strobes from the rain.
11-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I always thought umbrellas are there to protect the strobes from the rain.
I've also seen pros put their flash just centimetres away from the inside of the shoot through umbrella, instead of right out the other end.
11-18-2018, 11:43 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have known of a photography student who was a taught by a colleague of mine who regularly did mall Santa shoots. Complete and utter waste of talent.

11-19-2018, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have known of a photography student who was a taught by a colleague of mine who regularly did mall Santa shoots. Complete and utter waste of talent.
You're a muso, Digitalis, I'm sure you're well aware of talented folk who have to do 'Weddings, Parties, Anything' to bring in the rent.
11-19-2018, 01:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

One of the sadder things in life - folks who have no clue on how to get the best results from expensive equipment. Folk like me who can't afford said equipment but know hot it works then have to look on.

This is far worse than the loaded guy who buys expensive gear because he/she wants the best there is, but can't be bothered to use it properly. Gets the latest i7 laptop with SSD, lots of RAM, powerful graphics processor, the works. Uses it to read email and work on spreadsheets. Buys expensive Canikon, takes a few holiday snapshots.

The mall employees are being paid to do a job. They don't even have to read a manual. There are endless videos on the interwebs that shows how to set up flash equipment. I blame management most of all.

I suppose they got correctly exposed photos. The use of what amounts to bare flash probably made the subjects look uhm interesting...
11-19-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
One of the sadder things in life - folks who have no clue on how to get the best results from expensive equipment. Folk like me who can't afford said equipment but know hot it works then have to look on.

This is far worse than the loaded guy who buys expensive gear because he/she wants the best there is, but can't be bothered to use it properly. Gets the latest i7 laptop with SSD, lots of RAM, powerful graphics processor, the works. Uses it to read email and work on spreadsheets. Buys expensive Canikon, takes a few holiday snapshots.

The mall employees are being paid to do a job. They don't even have to read a manual. There are endless videos on the interwebs that shows how to set up flash equipment. I blame management most of all.

I suppose they got correctly exposed photos. The use of what amounts to bare flash probably made the subjects look uhm interesting...
How true, I bought a pair of BOWENS flashes in the late 70,s and taught myself how to use them properly with my old 6x7 did a bit of work and made a bit of money out of them as well, long live the experts, haha, ian

11-19-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The use of what amounts to bare flash probably made the subjects look uhm interesting
Oh yes, the deer in headlights look is very bracing.
11-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yes, the deer in headlights look is very bracing.
Oh, yes, it is.
I can't believe some pro? didn't notice it wasn't set up properly. I my former life, I knew how it went. But people and I didn't get along so I went to nature who didn't argue which light I used or how I took their photo. LOL
11-19-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a waste of a perfectly good umbrella.
11-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The photog who shot my sister's outdoor wedding had her flash with set up to bounce off the sky. I hope they got at least a few keepers.

Steve
11-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The photog who shot my sister's outdoor wedding had her flash with set up to bounce off the sky. I hope they got at least a few keepers.

Steve
Must have been a mighty powerful flash, Steve. LOL
11-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! The lack of clue is just mind boggling.
11-19-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Most probably the company did not want to pay enough to hire a person who knows photography. They just needed a head/contractor to fill a slot. I think that is the negative side of modern economy. In the retail industry people work in multiple jobs and that does not give the right environment for becoming expert. Something similar happened in Tech support around 2005. Earlier tech support guys used to focus only on one product and he/she used to be expert on that product. Then management said support personnel should handle every product. That diluted the quality of support.
11-19-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've known of times when Engineers {4 years of expensive college} were working as sales clerk or similar work because there wasn't a demand for their skills. During the 1970's there was a severe over-supply of PhD Physicists. Much more of a waste of talent and education. That sort of thing occurs in almost every field.