Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

In any field there is a wide range of ability, training, knowledge, amount of experience, etc. I'm sure the Santa Claus deal in the mall was like many businesses/organizations...do things the cheapest way, more profit that way. I also wonder if the mall owns the camera and flash equipment and it's buried in some store room only to be brought out every November for the Xmas season. Probably many seasons they get new staff..I mean you can only be an elf for so many years .

Possibly no one knew how to set up the equipment, other than putting the camera on the tripod, putting new batteries in the camera. If the mall gets enough complaints about their pictures ...they'll get someone else...or get someone to check out their setup.

11-19-2018, 12:03 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. Probably many seasons they get new staff..I mean you can only be an elf for so many years .
Yes, Les, it'd be pretty sad to see the elves down at the grocery store with coupons when Santa outsources all production to China. And Rudolph getting worried about FedEx putting a bid in for the contract on all deliveries.
11-19-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The photog who shot my sister's outdoor wedding had her flash with set up to bounce off the sky.

Maybe they were taking long exposures ….

Anyway, I thought a "pro" was someone who made a living out of photography. If so, then skill is subjective. Although the set up that kicked off this thread is pretty funny. Or tragic, depending on your "take".
11-19-2018, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Forum Member

I can't speak for others' areas, but I have noticed this trend as well. I have seen some of the work that a lot of "pros" are doing and I'm like, "I could have outdone that years ago when I first started". I'm not a pro by any means but I am beginning to understand why I have very little trouble finding work and new clients. I was speaking with a client a few days ago about some headshots she needs done for her volleyball team's coaches. And she showed me the "professional" they used last year. When she told me how much they were charged, I was mad.

It seems like there's more people in the field who have these expensive, full frame and/or $2000+ cameras and no clue how to operate them. It's all feels...robotic when I look at their work. Oh well. They can keep doing what they're doing. I need these gigs so I can get my next premium glass.

11-19-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have also seen a couple of togs, outdoors, with the Stofen style plastic diffusers on their attached flashes.

11-19-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, Les, it'd be pretty sad to see the elves down at the grocery store with coupons when Santa outsources all production to China. And Rudolph getting worried about FedEx putting a bid in for the contract on all deliveries.
Finally !! Someone who agrees with me and shares my view on the need for Elf employment protection. Most other people that I bring this issue up with...think I'm nuts or something.
11-19-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was amazed (but it is the internet) by all the negative comments about the author. What's wrong with contacting management, people are paying in the expectation of getting "pro" pictures and not getting them.

One person suggested a reason for the setup politely while 10 said you can't possibly have an educated guess that the setup was wrong.

11-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote

One person suggested a reason for the setup politely while 10 said you can't possibly have an educated guess that the setup was wrong.
To see how clueless the people involved are, check the screenshot of the phone conversation with the guys absolutely defending their setup.
11-19-2018, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I have also seen a couple of togs, outdoors, with the Stofen style plastic diffusers on their attached flashes.
Once it was me. I saw that the others have it, I read that they are good for outdoors as well, and bought mine. Have used it a couple of times, did not notice the difference, wasted money

Last edited by micromacro; 11-19-2018 at 08:19 PM.
11-19-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Ones it was me. I saw that the others have it, I read that they are good for outdoors as well, and bought mine. Have used it a couple of times, did not notice the difference, wasted money
Yeah, they're for ceiling bounce. Shoot at a 45 degree angle, some of the light also goes forward to prevent the 'raccoon eyes' effect on faces and some off side walls for fill.

It's the complete opposite effect of the directional 'black foamie thing' aka flag, which is something that also makes no sense outdoors because again, it's for bounce.

The one thing I do get is a flash pointing straight up but with the white tab out, because it can put a catchlight in someone's eyes.
11-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Finally !! Someone who agrees with me and shares my view on the need for Elf employment protection.
Yes, they should have unionized centuries ago, I put it down to Mrs Claus … anti-labor laws, I've heard whispered!
11-19-2018, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

That's to keep the wind from the AC off the back of the strobe!
11-19-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife has been going through old school photos of our sons. Most of these look as though they could have been shot this way.
11-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

School photos...I remember an embarrassing episode where my mother* took one of the photographers to task over their lighting set up.

* Who is a very skilled photographer herself. Although she completely avoids flash use, she knows enough to know when someone is doing it wrong.
11-20-2018, 08:29 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

To see how clueless the people involved are, check the screenshot of the phone conversation with the guys absolutely defending their setup.
If you put the umbrella in front you have less light and more if it's behind is technically true.

This is why I always look outside at noon for things I lose inside. More light helps see things.