Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Film versus digital sales

If you take a snapshot camera like the Nikon D500, the estimation is that they sold 33,000 units in one full year (the first one when sales are highest).
Fujifilm sold 3,500,000 instax film cameras in the last half year, expect roundabout 7,000,000 film cameras in one full year.

That is like 212 instax customers per one D500 customer.

And it is still 2 instax customers per one Sony-whatever-digital-camera customer (including all cheap mass market compacts).

And Fujifilm is making twice as much money on film cameras and film than their ILC stuff including lenses. 57 billions of yen per quarter.

12-05-2018, 01:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

ssssshhhhhhh don't say this too loud!!!
12-05-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But the clue is in the name ...... it's not to do with film versus digital but Instant against time taken to get a physical object from a digital image.

Film used to be slow even when processed at home but now with Instax the opposite is true.
12-05-2018, 02:48 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. Of course, the Instax is mirrorless...

12-05-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In the same way, cell phone digital cameras sell way more than other more advanced hobbyist / professional digital cameras. Cell phones and Fuji Instax cameras have something in common, in that neither is aimed squarely at advanced hobbyist or professional users. They're for casual consumer photography, which could almost be viewed as a seperate market...
12-05-2018, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They're basically Polaroids. Extremely limited as far as what you can do with them -- way more than 35mm film cameras. Hard to relate them to anything else in the market except apps like snap chat.

The big thing is that they are a cash cow for Fuji and allow them to spend large amounts developing digital mirrorless cameras for the market. If they didn't have the Instax money to play with it would have probably taken them significantly longer to build out their lens line up for their APS-C cameras and I doubt they would have jumped into the medium format market.
12-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In the same way, cell phone digital cameras sell way more than other more advanced hobbyist / professional digital cameras. Cell phones and Fuji Instax cameras have something in common, in that neither is aimed squarely at advanced hobbyist or professional users. They're for casual consumer photography, which could almost be viewed as a seperate market...
It is as much a horses for courses question as choosing a 300mm lens versus a 24mm lens. That could be called separate markets as well. Market segments can be defined deliberately and whatever name-tag you choose that will be just a personal opinion.

All of that would not mean a thing to the customers or the sales figures.

Photographers today want:
smartphones >> point & shoot compacts > instant film cameras > DSLRs > mirrorless cameras.

That is probably both reason and consequence of the downturn for D-ILC manufacturers.

12-05-2018, 05:21 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It is as much a horses for courses question as choosing a 300mm lens versus a 24mm lens. That could be called separate markets as well. Market segments can be defined deliberately and whatever name-tag you choose that will be just a personal opinion.
I take your point, but a 300mm or 24mm lens are both more likely to be bought by dedicated hobbyist or professional photographers.

Whilst a small number of hobbyist and professional photographers might by an instant film camera, the vast majority will be bought by general consumers. So, whilst Fuji's Instax sales do make up part of the overall photographic market, I think it's a very distinct and separate segment, and quite unrelated to the segment occupied by mirrorless and reflex digital cameras...
12-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it shows that the casual picture taker doesn't care/know about film versus digitial. They just want to see their picture and have something in hand. How it gets there isn't what's important. It's that they have it.
12-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Instax is not only without a mirror but also medium format I like mine, it's a nice camera for friends and family photos, often these pictures end up on the fridge or on a desk, instead of at the bottom of some feed.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 08:12 AM ----------

Scanning one though is tough, the film itself is very low resolution compared to a high quality print
12-05-2018, 06:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Instax is not only without a mirror but also medium format
Right. Compared to the Instax (60x60mm) current 36x24mm ILC have crop factor 2.
12-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course they are making money on Instax film, it's like $1/frame.
12-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A lot of my friends have Instax cameras. The pictures that they spit out are quite ugly, but in a neat, fun, & charming kind of way. The film packs are quite pricey too. They definitely do have fun with them. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon, but I can definitely see their appeal. Sometimes you can't beat an instant pic.
12-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
A lot of my friends have Instax cameras. The pictures that they spit out are quite ugly, but in a neat, fun, & charming kind of way. The film packs are quite pricey too. They definitely do have fun with them. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon, but I can definitely see their appeal. Sometimes you can't beat an instant pic.
I bought a (*huge*) Fuji Instax 210 when it first came out almost ten years ago, plus three or four packs of film. I think I used it for maybe a couple of weeks, but after I'd burned through the film packs I put it away and it hasn't been used since.

I agree that the photos have what could be described as a neat, fun and charming ugliness. If sticking photos on your fridge or kitchen notice board is your thing, they can be a hoot. But with so many good film and frame / border emulations in software to give that Instax / Polaroid look digitally, using a digital camera just seems to be a whole lot cheaper and easier. I can't see me ever using my Instax again.

Now that we've been talking about this, though, I may just buy a couple of film packs and run them through the 210 to see if I feel any differently about it now. I have my doubts, but who knows...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.
12-05-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Of course they are making money on Instax film, it's like $1/frame.
I've often thought of getting my elderly uncle an Instax for Christmas. He always had a Polaroid when I was a kid. But he's on very limited Social Security income and it would be hard for him to spend almost $1 a shot.