Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I've been looking around form some news and saw this on pentaxrumors.com:

Concerning the revamping of some of the current, but aging DA★ lenses:

Next also old DA* lenses with new motor and electronics (maybe 16-50 + 50-135 will be first)
Maybe official information will be released in September (source)

Read more: HD PENTAX-D FA ? 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW lens additional info (sharper than the Sigma Art version) - Pentax Rumors

Are we going to see refreshed versions?
Despite my terrible experience with DA* lens I was going to try my luck again and buy 50-135! hold?
I bought the 50-135mm a couple months ago (actually I think only 1 month ago) and fell in love with it from the first picture I took with it. The AF speed is slow but for the photography I use it for, fast AF isn't need very often. Unfortunately, I kinda 'broke' the lens when I tried to take it apart to replace an o-ring. Nothing is broken, I just can't get the lens back together. Needless to say, I'm VERY upset with myself. I then bought a used 16-50 very late in November. I was deciding between the 16-50 and 16-85 but went with the DA* because I found it cheeaapp despite reading that the 16-85 is the better lens. As soon as I got it and started doing my "tests," I was sorely disappointed in my copy. Soft wide-open and even stopped down and focusing was very... Grainy.

If they produce a new 16-50 and 50-135, I think they should just replace the focus motor in the 50-135 and update the coatings from SMC to HD and Aerobright coatings. For the 16-50, I think a complete update would be needed to improve the optical quality of the lens to increase sharpness and color. Unfortunately, if they do come out with updated lenses, I can't afford to buy them.

12-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #17
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
aslyfox, where you get this information from?
12-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

aslyfox, where you get this information from?
what

you want an actual source ??
12-05-2018, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax should outright replace the DA*16-50mm because I think they could do better. For one thing, back when it first appeared, Pop Photo did a lab test review and found its actual zoom range to be shorter at the long end- closer to 45mm. Performance-wise, it is evident by newer lenses like the DA 16-85mm and the DFA 28-105mm, that there have since been optical advancements, as well as the DC motors being superior.

The DA* 50-135mm, however, is so good it only needs the newer HD coatings and an updated DC motor for fast, accurate AF. It could simply be renamed the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 HD DC IF.

12-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #20
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what

just kidding man

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 03:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think Pentax should outright replace the DA*16-50mm because I think they could do better. For one thing, back when it first appeared, Pop Photo did a lab test review and found its actual zoom range to be shorter at the long end- closer to 45mm. Performance-wise, it is evident by newer lenses like the DA 16-85mm and the DFA 28-105mm, that there have since been optical advancements, as well as the DC motors being superior.

The DA* 50-135mm, however, is so good it only needs the newer HD coatings and an updated DC motor for fast, accurate AF. It could simply be renamed the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 HD DC IF.
Ok, we've got new name, now it's their move

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 03:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I bought the 50-135mm a couple months ago (actually I think only 1 month ago) and fell in love with it from the first picture I took with it. The AF speed is slow but for the photography I use it for, fast AF isn't need very often. Unfortunately, I kinda 'broke' the lens when I tried to take it apart to replace an o-ring. Nothing is broken, I just can't get the lens back together. Needless to say, I'm VERY upset with myself. I then bought a used 16-50 very late in November. I was deciding between the 16-50 and 16-85 but went with the DA* because I found it cheeaapp despite reading that the 16-85 is the better lens. As soon as I got it and started doing my "tests," I was sorely disappointed in my copy. Soft wide-open and even stopped down and focusing was very... Grainy.

If they produce a new 16-50 and 50-135, I think they should just replace the focus motor in the 50-135 and update the coatings from SMC to HD and Aerobright coatings. For the 16-50, I think a complete update would be needed to improve the optical quality of the lens to increase sharpness and color. Unfortunately, if they do come out with updated lenses, I can't afford to buy them.
Mikey, why can't you put it all together if there is nothing broken? Maybe someone at local shop will help?
12-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We may regard these DA* lenses as stellar performers optically, but Pentax doesn't seem content with yesteryear's standards. There was no necessity for the DFA* 70-200 and the DFA* 50 to be SO good (and SO heavy), but they went for the nuclear option. For this reason, I'm expecting the next iteration of the DA* line to go well beyond an AF motor and HD coating. This may not be a good thing.
12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
We may regard these DA* lenses as stellar performers optically, but Pentax doesn't seem content with yesteryear's standards. There was no necessity for the DFA* 70-200 and the DFA* 50 to be SO good (and SO heavy), but they went for the nuclear option. For this reason, I'm expecting the next iteration of the DA* line to go well beyond an AF motor and HD coating. This may not be a good thing.

Nuclear weapon was maybe necessary to justify much higher prices?

12-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just kidding man . . .
me too
12-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I can't imagine say 50-135 beyond its characteristics considering current optical performance but with fast and reliable autofocus. More reach?
12-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what

Black's Law Dictionary.
12-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Black's Law Dictionary.
not this time

ru·mor
[ˈro͞omər]

NOUN
rumour (noun) · rumours (plural noun) · rumors (plural noun)
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.
"they were investigating rumors of a massacre" · "rumor has it that he will take a year off"
synonyms:
gossip · hearsay · talk · tittle-tattle · the grapevine · the word on the street · goss · scuttlebutt · poop · furphy · fame · piece of gossip · report · story · whisper · canard · speculation · information · word · news · on dit · buzz · bruit
antonyms:
hard facts
VERB
(be rumored)
rumoured (past participle) · rumored (past participle) · rumour (verb) · rumours (third person present) · rumouring (present participle) · rumors (third person present) · rumoring (present participle)
be circulated as an unverified account.
"it's rumored that he lives on a houseboat" · "she is rumored to have gone into hiding"
synonyms:
said to be · reported to be · reportedly · reputedly · allegedly · apparently · by all accounts · so the story goes

ORIGIN
late Middle English: from Old French rumur, from Latin rumor ‘noise’.

Translate rumor to