Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
. . . 50-135 f/2.8 optically is so nice. But, yes, It really just needs updated handling and new motor imo. Yet something wider in exchange for being shorter would be my choice if I had one.
I'll have to disagree with you there, Mee. I found myself doing a lot of 135's with mine. (I also find myself doing a lot of 135's with my 18-135.) Maybe they would be 150's if it had a little extra reach, but the lens is so nice, I almost don't want them to touch it. (At least, not the optics.) And considering they have NO primes in that range . . .

12-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
synonyms:
gossip · hearsay · talk · tittle-tattle · the grapevine · the word on the street · goss · scuttlebutt · poop · furphy · fame · piece of gossip · report · story · whisper · canard · speculation · information · word · news · on dit · buzz · bruit
The dictionary knows a lot about the internet.

It names both "poop" and "information" as synonyms for the same thing.
12-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But canard in this context was a surprise to me.
12-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #34
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that neither poop nor canard aren't even bit close to the original thread

12-06-2018, 03:25 AM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I think that neither poop nor canard aren't even bit close to the original thread
" the straight poop "

the plain facts, the unadulterated truth; no lie
similar to "straight dope"
- Urban Dictionary: straight poop

canard noun

ca·​nard | \kə-ˈnärd also -ˈnär

Definition of canard
1 a: a false or unfounded report or story
especially : a fabricated report
The report about a conspiracy proved to be a canard.
b: a groundless rumor or belief
the widespread canard that every lawyer is dishonest -
Canard | Definition of Canard by Merriam-Webster

seems to fit the description of the thread: Pentax News and Rumors
12-06-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #36

It also refers to the arrangement of wings on certain aircraft. What does that tell you?
12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Contrary to other opinion, I’ve found the combination of the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8 to be more than adequate for my purposes in APS-C work. While I agree that the 16-50 isn’t the sharpest optical performer, I find its overall rendering to be more than adequate for most of my work, although the iffy and slow SDM drive could certainly stand improvement.

If the majority of Pentax development effort is to go into the 35FF optics, then I think the OP’s original proposal of moving to HD coatings and DC drives should really be a high priority. The move to HD coatings could be achieved with minimal effort (mostly re-tooling names on lenses, and re-naming instruction leaflets, advertising material (!) and boxes), and the DC drive conversion would require a small amount of electronic redesign (although the basics are there already in the existing DC lenses). The only thing I can see getting in the way of such a move, in the short term, would be a large inventory of existing SMC versions.

12-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #38
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Contrary to other opinion, I’ve found the combination of the DA*16-50/2.8 and DA*50-135/2.8 to be more than adequate for my purposes in APS-C work. While I agree that the 16-50 isn’t the sharpest optical performer, I find its overall rendering to be more than adequate for most of my work, although the iffy and slow SDM drive could certainly stand improvement.

If the majority of Pentax development effort is to go into the 35FF optics, then I think the OP’s original proposal of moving to HD coatings and DC drives should really be a high priority. The move to HD coatings could be achieved with minimal effort (mostly re-tooling names on lenses, and re-naming instruction leaflets, advertising material (!) and boxes), and the DC drive conversion would require a small amount of electronic redesign (although the basics are there already in the existing DC lenses). The only thing I can see getting in the way of such a move, in the short term, would be a large inventory of existing SMC versions.
Very easy! First thing they should lower prices a little bit more for current lenses that requires redesign so it will be more attractive for people, this way Pentax will get some amount in short period of time, well some amount. Start developing of new versions with same glass but new motor and electronics. We will get something out of this world! Imagine 50-135 with fast and reliable auto focus, BOMB! This will be just unbeatable piece of equipment.
12-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned both the 16-50 and 50-135 since soon after their release. The 50-135 is excellent optically and mainly would benefit from a newer auto focus motor. However, if you really want to speed up its focus speed, you would have to shorten the focus throw. I just looked at it and the focus throw is about half a turn around the barrel -- the only lenses I have that have longer focus throws are macro lenses and, oddly, the DA *55. The 16-50 is pretty fast to focus, but really could use some work optically. It has a fair amount of distortion at 16mm, has a lot of purple fringing, and edges are soft wide open.

At the same time, there is no real information right now. Asahiman did say something about Pentax working on re-designs of the DA * zooms and it would make sense based on their age, but since then, most of the information leaking out seems to be about full frame lenses and filling out the DFA line up. My guess is that they are working a bit on this project, but as with many things, it is under-resourced and will take awhile to come to fruition.

Pentax is pretty tight lipped about future developments -- other than the chart they put out with regard to lens development. Probably the first sign that they are releasing new DA * lenses will be sales from B and H and similar retailers to clear out old stock. That's the way it was the DA limiteds when the HD versions came out.

---------- Post added 12-07-18 at 06:03 AM ----------

Very easy! First thing they should lower prices a little bit more for current lenses that requires redesign so it will be more attractive for people, this way Pentax will get some amount in short period of time, well some amount. Start developing of new versions with same glass but new motor and electronics. We will get something out of this world! Imagine 50-135 with fast and reliable auto focus, BOMB! This will be just unbeatable piece of equipment.
I think at current prices (700 for the 16-50 and 800 for 50-135), they are probably as cheap as they will be until sale prices clearing stock. If Pentax releases new versions, I would expect the new versions to be a bit more expensive, not less.
12-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #40
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
if you really want to speed up its focus speed, you would have to shorten the focus throw
Well, maybe new motor could be able to do this.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If Pentax releases new versions, I would expect the new versions to be a bit more expensive, not less.
I would probably pay more for the new 50-135 that's for sure
12-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, maybe new motor could be able to do this.

I would probably pay more for the new 50-135 that's for sure
Shorter throw makes a big difference. The whole reason for a longer throw is to allow for better manual focusing, but honestly that isn't a big deal. My FA 135 and DA 40 both focus super fast because they were designed with short focus throws. I wouldn't want to manual focus either of them, but they just lock really fast.

I don't think a DC motor is going to over come a situation where the lens motor has to make the elements travel a lot farther to get where they are going.