Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New DA* 16-50 & DA* 50-135?

I've been looking around form some news and saw this on pentaxrumors.com:

Concerning the revamping of some of the current, but aging DA★ lenses:

Next also old DA* lenses with new motor and electronics (maybe 16-50 + 50-135 will be first)
Maybe official information will be released in September (source)

Read more: HD PENTAX-D FA ? 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW lens additional info (sharper than the Sigma Art version) - Pentax Rumors

Are we going to see refreshed versions?
Despite my terrible experience with DA* lens I was going to try my luck again and buy 50-135! hold?

12-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Very solid optics and a really useful zoom range marred only by a (very) slow, if no longer unreliable, AF drive motor. IF Pentax were to update the focusing motor in it, I think it would be a runaway seller for them.

You almost can't not have the da* 50-135 on APS-C. I sold mine a little over a year ago and have regretted it ever since. I didn't realize how often I used that zoom range. Nearly everyone whose comments about the lens I've read has loved the lens despite the SDM problems on early copies. Pentax was supposed to have fixed those. How long's it been since you've heard of a new SDM lens with a problem? (Not really intending to hijack the thread.)

Having said that, I was very disappointed by the AF speed (which is why I sold the lens). My 18-135 beats the pants off it for AF. It makes the 50-135 far less useful, and made me consider sending it to Uncle Vanya to be converted to screw drive despite the fact that my SDM worked perfectly. (It's supposed to focus much faster as a screw-drive lens).
12-05-2018, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note the date. This may have been a one sentence rumor last March from AsahiMan on a DPReview forum, but as with most rumors the substance often remains missing as the months churn on.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4259189?page=5#forum-post-60837233

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.
12-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Very solid optics and a really useful zoom range marred only by a (very) slow, if no longer unreliable, AF drive motor. IF Pentax were to update the focusing motor in it, I think it would be a runaway seller for them.

You almost can't not have the da* 50-135 on APS-C. I sold mine a little over a year ago and have regretted it ever since. I didn't realize how often I used that zoom range. Nearly everyone whose comments about the lens I've read has loved the lens despite the SDM problems on early copies. Pentax was supposed to have fixed those. How long's it been since you've heard of a new SDM lens with a problem? (Not really intending to hijack the thread.)

Having said that, I was very disappointed by the AF speed (which is why I sold the lens). My 18-135 beats the pants off it for AF. It makes the 50-135 far less useful, and made me consider sending it to Uncle Vanya to be converted to screw drive despite the fact that my SDM worked perfectly. (It's supposed to focus much faster as a screw-drive lens).
I just can't remember fighting so hard to myself. AF speed is nothing compared to problem I had last time purchasing this lens. Unbelievably bad front/back focus issues, loose focus ring.. etc etc. As you said, it's most useful range along with astonishing image quality and that's why I'm turning back to this lens but every time I do that these issues don't let me go farther.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note the date. This may have been a one sentence rumor last March from AsahiMan on a DPReview forum, but as with most rumors the substance often remains missing as the months churn on.

70-200/4 added to roadmap.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Steve

Steve, help me!

12-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #5

I remember thinking the focus ring felt weird, but I thought that was just the quick-focus. (I think it was my first quick-focus lens.) My copy didn't have any front- or back-focus issues, and the focus ring wasn't actually loose. I hope if you purchase it again you get a good copy. Once mine (eventually) focused, it was spot-on every time.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 02:12 PM ----------

70-200/4 added to roadmap.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Steve
That's a really good point. I didn't actually look at the rumor until after I replied to Lev. I think it's safe to say that there either weren't plans to refresh them or they fell through. Besides, from all accounts, if I was going to refresh the pair, I'd probably rework the 16-50. It doesn't seem to get much love.
12-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Steve, help me!
The rumor is from March 2018.

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I think it's safe to say that there either weren't plans to refresh them or they fell through.
This ^ ^ ^

Updating the DA* zooms with modern AF motors is a good idea, but has not had any official announcement.

Steve
12-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
o god, here we go again...

12-05-2018, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

The rumor is from March 2018.

This ^ ^ ^

Updating the DA* zooms with modern AF motors is a good idea, but has not had any official announcement.
I believe, but do not know, that Pentax has done a lot of re-thinking since Spring 2018 - at least, that is how I read 'between the lines of' the non-answers given in the Photokina 2018 interviews. Their answers seemed much less certain than their answers at CP+ 2018 interviews, and they weren't even willing to give the same answers.
12-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a general thought, if there is a new APSC top end camera in 2019, updated lenses would make sense to come with it.
12-05-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Their answers
Theres a 100 reasons they come next year!
12-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Slap some HD coatings and PLM motors into these bad boys and you'll have a winner I'm sure. Pentax already has the best APSC glass in the market, should push the advantage further by doing an update on these.
12-05-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
o god, here we go again...
You started it!

Steve
12-05-2018, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
As a general thought, if there is a new APSC top end camera in 2019, updated lenses would make sense to come with it.
Yes!

Asahi man says they have an internal roadmap, and the part he has seen shows emphasis on FF. Hopefully we will get a peek at the rest of it by CP+. This uncertainty is why I decided to purchase a KP at the $700 price ... my lenses work best with an APS body.
12-05-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

You started it!

Steve
I gave you one "like".
I would have done that a dozen times if they allowed that, because your words were a simpler version of what I was going to say.
12-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not excited

perhaps there is a reason this [ and other " news " ] is on a site called rumors

ru·mor
[ˈro͞omər]

NOUN
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.
"they were investigating rumors of a massacre" · [more]
synonyms:
gossip · hearsay · talk · tittle-tattle · the grapevine · [more]
VERB
(be rumored)
be circulated as an unverified account