Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2018, 07:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent

an issue has arisen, at least in my small mind, that it might be helpful for members to know what businesses reliably offer rental of cameras, lenses and other gear

I suggest that we all help each other by listing such companies in this thread and let others know of our actual experiences with such businesses.

I knew of two and have recently learned of a third all available to folks in the US. I am sure that other companies might exist else where as well.

the only one I have used is LensRentals.com

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

I have had good experiences with them and even had them deliver, with the agreement of the hotel, to a hotel I was arriving at.

________

there is another I have heard of but not used is borrowlenses.com

Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

and the one I just learned about is cameralensrentals.com

Camera Lens Rentals About Us

a couple more just reported:

[quote=murrelet;4764688]I've used Samy's in Southern California: Samy's Camera: Samy's Camera Rental Department

Pro Photo in Portland, Oregon, also has a rental service: Photo and Video Rental Equipment | Pro Photo Supply[/quote

_______________________________________________________________________________________

just found, by going through the Adorama web site that they have a limited rental program:

" try before you buy "

you get 7 days without charge after that ???

QuoteQuote:
ADORAMA RENTAL COMPANY
Manhattan: 50 W 17th St
Brooklyn: 370 19th St
RENT: 212-627-8487
rent@adorama.com
AdoramaRental.com
https://www.adorama.com/pages/rent-to-buy

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

does any member have additional businesses and contact info to add for the US or other countries

if so, please do so by adding your post

thanks for helping out

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-24-2019 at 05:23 AM.
12-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice idea! If enough data is gathered maybe an article idea or at least a sticky thread?
12-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nice idea! If enough data is gathered maybe an article idea or at least a sticky thread?
thanks

this was mentioned to Adam before creation of the thread [ mainly to determine where to post ] and he did indicate a possibility of it being " stickied " -

" Once there is enough traction, I can make it a sticky "

which I take to mean the more responses and looks it gathered the better the odds of it being " stuck " the better

I'm not thinking of a " rating " system as such but more here is where to look for services and the business did as promised type of thing

plus helpful hints

[ such as what I do, make sure I get the maximum " insurance " coverage and make personal contact via phone to get questions asked and info gathered from the business ]
12-24-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have use cameralensrental.com and find them to be excellent. Gear I have rented has always been pristine. I also inquired about purchasing one of their rental lenses, a DA*300mm f4, and was very happy with the price and the condition of the lens I received.

12-24-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

and the one I just learned about is cameralensrentals.com

Camera Lens Rentals About Us
I have used CameraLensRentals.com one time and they were excellent. The lens was shipped quickly, it was very clean and in working order. They called me to check if I had the lens on time, and they called again to make sure everything was working OK. The shipping package came with everything to turn the lens around and ship back to them. If I ever rent another lens they will be my first option.
01-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've rented from both Borrowlenses.com and Lensrentals.com. They were both comparable in the user experience: shipped items on time, they were in very good shape, packed well, return labels provided. The overall experience with both was pretty seamless. I'd rent from either again without hesitation.

One caveat with Borrowlenses.com: they have a very small stock of Pentax gear. A K-1, which I very recently rented, a few older APS-C bodies and maybe a dozen lenses. When I inquired recently about them getting more stock they politely replied that there was very little demand for Pentax and they would not be getting any more. Lensrentals has several pages of Pentax gear to rent, so I will probably be going there in the future.
01-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
. . . .One caveat with Borrowlenses.com: they have a very small stock of Pentax gear. A K-1, which I very recently rented, a few older APS-C bodies and maybe a dozen lenses. When I inquired recently about them getting more stock they politely replied that there was very little demand for Pentax and they would not be getting any more. Lensrentals has several pages of Pentax gear to rent, so I will probably be going there in the future.
I have rented from LensRentals 3 or 4 times.

very nice folks to deal with, I even got them to agree to deliver equipment to me at a Yellowstone Park Lodge ( at my own risk of course and I had to arrange with the Lodge to hold the package for me ) other times delivery at my home address and on the Yellowstone trip, other equipment was held at the Fed Ex office near the Bozeman Airport for me so I didn't have to haul it on the plane from home.

the one time I looked at Borrowlenses, the web site indicated they had no Pentax gear at all

01-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the one time I looked at Borrowlenses, the web site indicated they had no Pentax gear at all
Looking at their site right now they have eight pieces of Pentax gear (K-1, K-5, and six lenses). That's down at least a few lenses from a month or so ago. On their used gear page the 50-135 is listed as "just sold out".

If anyone is looking for a deal on a used 77, 70-200, 50-135, 24-70, 60-250, 14, or K-1/5 I'd keep an eye on their used pages. Wouldn't surprise me to see Pentax stuff pop up.

Lensrentals.com currently shows 31 K-mount lenses.

Last edited by ThorSanchez; 01-02-2019 at 09:54 AM.
01-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lensrentals.com has an offer where you may be able to purchase the equipment you rent:

Lensrentals Keeper

Saying goodbye can be the hardest part of any rental. With our new Keeper program, you can try it, then buy it!
Just rent an eligible item, and then we’ll give you a starting purchase price based on the age of the copy we send you. We’ll even give you a credit for a portion of the rental fees. Even better, you can handle the entire transaction with just a few clicks on our website (although we’d be more than happy to handle it over the phone if you are just dying to talk to one of our friendly customer service agents).

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

I have never used it so I cannot comment further
02-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just contacted LenRentals.com to determine what restrictions if any are placed on taking their equipment to another country

was told no restriction but they recommend getting their best " protection plan "
04-01-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Adding my experience: I recently rented the FA 31mm Ltd. and the Sigma 35 Art from LensRentals.com.

Overall it was a good experience. I'd recommend having your shipment delivered for pickup at a FedEx location - mine went out for delivery on the chosen day, but never came ("No delivery attempt made"). I assume the FedEx guy ran out of time or something. Got it the next day.

I ended up using their purchasing option to keep the Sigma. I was pretty torn between the two lenses (both were amazing), but the purchase price quoted for the Sigma ended up being $640 while the 31Ltd was like $930. Both lenses were in what appeared to be perfect shape and functional order, and the biggest difference I noticed between their resulting images was the slight change in focal length.

Shipping back was easy, dropped off the package at a local mailer and was done.
04-02-2019, 02:53 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BugsDogsAndSunsets Quote
Adding my experience: I recently rented the FA 31mm Ltd. and the Sigma 35 Art from LensRentals.com.

Overall it was a good experience. I'd recommend having your shipment delivered for pickup at a FedEx location - mine went out for delivery on the chosen day, but never came ("No delivery attempt made"). I assume the FedEx guy ran out of time or something. Got it the next day.. . .
I have found that it is better to arrange to get delivery at the local business if possible

this is to avoid missing delivery which requires a signature.

LensRentals even delivered to a hotel that I was staying at in Yellowstone while I was out in the park. I had prearranged to have the Desk accept delivery.

YMMV
07-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I recently rented a Pentax K-1, Pentax 15-30 2.8, and a Pentax 43 1.9 Limited from lensrentals.com.

The items came in a large, padded, hard Pelican case. The lenses were also enclosed in their own separate padded lens cases. The K-1 came wrapped in bubble wrap.

All items were in good condition and worked excellently.

I ended up purchasing the K-1 from them with a little over 18,000 shutter actuations and nearly 40% below similar models from competing retailers.

The entire process was hassle free (besides the 'Buy Now' button on my account not working for the purchase of the K-1, which a quick call to Blair at Lens Rentals resolved (who was quite pleasant)).
08-05-2019, 02:43 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just completed another successful rental from LensRentals.com

I rented the HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR o use on my safari trip to Tanzania

HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The items [ lens, end cap, hood, and filter ] came in a padded hard Pelican case and was in a padded lens case

I have nothing but praise for the lens and LensRental.

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2019 at 09:27 AM.
08-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just got an email from LensRental:

YOU ALL GET A DEAL!

We're channeling our inner daytime talk host and offering 20% off your next order!

Use code UGET20

RENT NOW

Order must arrive by 8.23 | One use per customer