Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2018, 01:06 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPreview is the first WORST review website on the internet...

Their obvious biases and ridiculous assumptions, as well as general overall cluelessness, have given Dpreview this dubious honour. We would ALL do well to avoid the place.

Aside from that, hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas.

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Ash; 12-27-2018 at 01:51 PM.
12-27-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Go figure another Jeff Bezos run operation hating on PF. I actually always find our review section well sorted and helpful but what do I know? No shock.
12-27-2018, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

not news - I'm not sure why anyone with a Pentax affinity even bothers with that website...
12-27-2018, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is threads like this and the associated attitudes that leads DPR to label Pentax users as vindictive and intolerant.

Way to go.

12-27-2018, 02:52 PM - 10 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
It is threads like this and the associated attitudes that leads DPR to label Pentax users as vindictive and intolerant.

Way to go.
I think the problem is that most of us here care a bit too much. Having been told that Pentax is doomed a lot and further, knowing that the release of new products ever since Hoya's acquisition has been slow at best, it is hard to see a review site deliberately ignoring the features that are Pentax's strong points. If you are going to do a review of the DFA *50, it would be well to state that is has some of the best wide open sharpness of any lens in its category, rather than to spend most of the time talking about how big it is and how it is a terrible performer from a LoCA standpoint.

I think most of us here understand that video and tracking auto focus aren't strong points of Pentax cameras, but DP Review does seem to beat those things to death while ignoring things like pixel shift, astro tracer, awesome still image quality and sealing. There isn't a right or a wrong -- the cameras are all good -- it's just that they don't care about the things that make Pentax cameras a good value.

I wouldn't go to DP Review for information -- not because I'm vindictive, but because their priorities (high frame rates, tiny cameras, and 4K video) aren't my priorities. It's like reading a movie reviewer who hates the sort of movies you like and trying to figure out what movies you should watch next. It's better to find someone who likes similar things as their likes and dislikes are more valuable.
12-27-2018, 03:35 PM - 9 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As the propaganda arm for Amazon, they're horribly conflicted.

You can't be a reviewer *and* a seller.

They're a glorified Sears catalogue.
12-27-2018, 03:40 PM - 9 Likes   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As the propaganda arm for Amazon, they're horribly conflicted.

You can't be a reviewer *and* a seller.

They're a glorified Sears catalogue.
And most people will not sift through the bias from a conflict of interest, and go with the popular vote as to which camera/system is "best" when they go to buy one.
That's why Pentax remains the brand for the discerning photographer. Not the greatest for the brand, but they're selective with their marketing and don't try too hard to overcome the "photographic groupthink".

12-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
while ignoring things like pixel shift, astro tracer, awesome still image quality and sealing.
Well, have you read their reviews?

The ones Ive read specifically mention these features(they dont describe the IQ as awesome,just high level.)
12-27-2018, 03:50 PM - 9 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

The ones Ive read specifically mention these features(they dont describe the IQ as awesome,just high level.)
According to DxoMark, who claim to measure IQ - the 645Z and K-1 are two of the greatest cameras in the world.

Not promised for next year, available right now.
12-27-2018, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

According to DxoMark, who claim to measure IQ - the 645Z and K-1 are two of the greatest cameras in the world.

Not promised for next year, available right now.
Bingo

Though I'll admit, I'm saddened to find my Samsung GX-10 (K10D) features nowhere near the top...
12-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

available right now.
Can i get a package deal?

---------- Post added 12-28-18 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Bingo

Though I'll admit, I'm saddened to find my Samsung GX-10 (K10D) features nowhere near the top...
You should have clikked the 4K option
12-27-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You should have clikked the 4K option
That's imposing your preference on Mike, Surfar.

We know by polls here and elsewhere that camera buyers for the most part don't care for let alone shoot video. It's a novelty, nothing more.

Where can we see *your* 4k videos? Let's see how real this is for you.

Got YouTube or Vimeo links?

Last edited by clackers; 12-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.
12-27-2018, 05:35 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read their reviews. As I said, I'm a still image shooter. Landscapes and my kids are mainly what I shoot. What you want is completely different from what I want. I want the best quality low iso images I can get with the capability of shooting high iso when I want it. I want somewhere in the 4 to 8 fps frame rates. As far as video goes, HD is fine for me. I'll grab a clip here or there, but mostly I shoot with a camcorder when I want decent video. I think, from what I've read in your posts, you are the opposite of me, wanting the highest end tech, highest frame rates, highest level video you can get. And that's fine. I do wonder what people do with all this 4K footage they are shooting with their MILCs, but I guess that isn't really any of my business, I just haven't seen much of it showing up on line and sites like You Tube seem to downsample it enough that you get little benefit from it.

It's a bit different for serious movie makers, but there aren't enough of those to actually move cameras a whole lot, I wouldn't think.
12-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

DRReview is still chugging along? I thought they were dead and gone, it's been predicted for so long.
12-27-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Their obvious biases and ridiculous assumptions, as well as general overall cluelessness, have given Dpreview this dubious honour. We would ALL do well to avoid the place.
No so fast. I do pay attention to their reviews and their image comparison tool is invaluable. It has shown me that K1 and the KP are top tier cameras. Canon offerings not so much. Although they get a chunk of money from Canon and the other big players, They are just as critical of Canon bodies and their lack of innovation and sub par image quality.

So just because they are critical of Pentax does not make me dismiss them. Let's face it Pentax is a company that moves very slow. So much so that it may get run over by trucks as it crosses the highway. So, as much as I love my K1 and my Limited lenses, I am not offended when someone points out that the focusing on my camera sucks. That the FA Limited trio have terrible CA issue. That the focusing is somewhat slow and definitely noisy on the FA Limiteds compared to most modern lenses.

They gave Pentax K1 and the KP their due respect but because they point out that the K1II is at best an incremental albeit lackluster follow up does not bother me. I wish DPReview's and other critical reviews would wake up the people who are behind the driver's seat at Ricoh/Pentax corporation. God know they need it.

Autonomous driving is around the corner for cars but not for camera development. If Pentax is hoping for autonomous development to save it, well I got news for you. It ain't gonna happen. So if someone pinches me to wake me up because I am sound asleep behind the wheel. I would thank them not ostracize them for doing so. You catch my drift?