Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I am not either and unfortunately there is a photography group around here I might like to join up for an outing with but i won't join facebook to find out .

01-13-2019, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My wife is another, so it’s only three more to find.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Make that two.

Oh, and I still have a flip phone.

And a land line.
Add my wife and I to the list! No social media and no cell phones either. Also still read a newspaper everyday!

Phil.
01-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It figures that there would be a hive of semi Luddites in a Pentax community.
Yep we've infested the place.
01-16-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would argue that Pentax Forums is a social media site. Bbs and forum sites definitely work differently from Facebook but both offer social interaction with online reach.

01-16-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would argue that Pentax Forums is a social media site. Bbs and forum sites definitely work differently from Facebook but both offer social interaction with online reach.
I agree. PF would be the shallow end of the social media cesspool though, and probably right next to the fresh spring-fed hose filling up the pool so it's overall pretty refreshing compared to the deep murky end.

A big difference of FB compared to PF is the sheer number of users on FB (obviously) so there's a never ending supply of toxic people and FB constantly trying to manipulate users based on the content it shoves in your face. However, users can avoid much of the annoyances of FB- I joined several years ago for our business (some people prefer FB over email, go figure) and stick to checking my business page and the few local interest groups I've joined (or run). Randomly clicking around FB is a sure way to find something that enrages you, so I stick to a relatively sane corner. Just like I stick to PF out of all the camera forums on the web.
01-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #51
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No need to argue that. Any Internet forum is indeed a social media venue.

The differences are that forums are moderated, and structured around a specific subject, like photography (here), or other special interests. And as mentioned already, the huge difference in numbers of participants.
01-16-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No need to argue that. Any Internet forum is indeed a social media venue.

The differences are that forums are moderated, and structured around a specific subject, like photography (here), or other special interests. And as mentioned already, the huge difference in numbers of participants.
Sure - and I use facebook's groups which are generally moderated as well. There is a great deal of difference between posting publicly viewable provocative chum and waiting for trolls to bait them and participating in good faith in a group of like minded people. PF is a good example of the best kinds of sites for discussion.

Several posters have claimed they have no social media presence... but my point is that if they are here that's not entirely true.
01-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #53
Banned

Several posters have claimed they have no social media presence... but my point is that if they are here that's not entirely true.
Im one of those people. ....and you are very right. I was just thinking of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I do hang out on this social club.

01-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Im one of those people. ....and you are very right. I was just thinking of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. I do hang out on this social club.
And - believe me when I say this - we are better off because you do.
01-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it's the model that's different - the narrow purpose of the forums, filtering of members, clear intent and motives of both the forum administrators and the members, the forum rules, expected standards and active moderation to keep things genial and respectful.

But I agree - it's definitely a type of social media platform.

I'd adjust my claim to say that I don't frequent, and have no interest in wide-spread social media platforms aimed at the general public - such as facebook, twitter, instagram and a whole bunch of others I'm probably not even aware of. I'm not quite sure how best to define them separately from sites like ours, but the difference is clearly there
01-16-2019, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #56
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not quite sure how best to define them separately from sites like ours, but the difference is clearly there
Faceplant is a free for all. Millions of people caught up in a continuous stream of senseless drama and drivel.
01-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see social media as about the people and other sites about the content. Not perfect and lots of crossover and it is my personal viewpoint for sure.
01-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Facebook is handy for seeing what my cousins are up to. Easy way to exchange photos and message between family and friends all over the world.