Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
There is an update now.
This is the terrible part.
“Within last 2 days I received literally hundreds of comments and messages that I’m a whore, a nazi, a communist, a worthless ****, and that I either should quickly die, or that I should kill myself,” she writes. “There is no anger in me, and I apologise everyone that felt hurt or upset by this situation. Anyway, there is no Thunderball Clothing anymore. You won.”
Thunderball Clothing Shuttered Due to Outrage from Arch Enemy Photo Ban

01-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There is an update now.
“Within last 2 days I received literally hundreds of comments and messages that I’m a whore, a nazi, a communist, a worthless ****, and that I either should quickly die, or that I should kill myself,” she writes. “There is no anger in me, and I apologise everyone that felt hurt or upset by this situation. Anyway, there is no Thunderball Clothing anymore. You won.”
What a dreadful situation for all parties concerned

I maintain that it was poorly handled by both sides. Dirty washing shouldn't be aired in public, but dealt with in a dignified manner and resolved, if necessary, through legal channels (ironically, lawyers were eventually involved). Once the band and photographer chose to involve the web and social media (whoever did so first is irrelevant), the juggernaut was set in motion.

Hopefully this will serve as a cautionary tale, and perhaps some good can come from it. Whether that justifies the cost is highly debatable, though...
01-12-2019, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's like using a multiple TCs on a bad lens. It magnifies the flaws. Unfortunately we all have aberations and when it goes public they show up much worse.
In theory at least the courts are suppose to be a good lens and the lawyers good tcs.
01-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These sorts of things escalate. Someone says something that upsets the other party, then they retaliate and it just goes back and forth.

I think this is the sort of thing where if you have some way to truly communicate -- sit down with someone or even talk over the telephone, these things can be settled easily with fewer hurt individuals. But e mails and direct messaging tends to increase tension, not decrease it.

01-12-2019, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I have mixed feelings about this.

The band, management and merchandising representatives were clearly in the wrong here, both in the unauthorised use of the photo and the way they handled the photographer's reasonable (IMHO) request (though the initial request - not just the follow up comms - should have been made by private e-mail, not on Instagram).

However... This was a matter to be dealt with through formal business communications and, if that failed (as it seemed to), legal recourse. Publishing an article on the web to shame them follows the worrying and quite nasty trend of initiating "trial by social media". Taking a public swipe at the other parties for everyone on the internet to read isn't a classy way of dealing with things, and has an unpleasant odour of passive-aggressive revenge to me.

Like I said, the band and its team were undoubtedly in the wrong... but I'm uncomfortable with the photographer's subsequent action online. I understand their reasons - but there are more professional ways to deal with these things
In my younger days I shot a lot of bands and did several album covers, but this was back in the film days and instant sharing wasn't even possible. That said, I'm glad it was made as public as possible. I still live in Nashville, TN and I'm friends with a lot of people in the industry. I have a working relationship with a couple of management companies that manage some mid-major acts. As a photographer, you will go broke trying to fight the record companies with lawyers. The big ones have legal on staff just to deal with this stuff day to day. If you did hire a lawyer to fight for your copy right, it would cost you more in legal fees than you could get in royalties and the management companies know this. Social media gives the little people an opportunity to pull back the curtain and put the story out. Yes, that can be abused just like the anything, but its a low cost option for people with few relative resources.

You won't find a more cut-throat group of people when it comes to $$$ than the upper end of the music business, but that applies to most of the arts. I got hired to grab some stills of a well know guitar player as part of a video interview. He got out of his $90,000 Mercedes wearing a Karl Marx t-shirt. I really should have gotten a picture of that.
01-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote

You won't find a more cut-throat group of people when it comes to $$$ than the upper end of the music business, but that applies to most of the arts. I got hired to grab some stills of a well know guitar player as part of a video interview. He got out of his $90,000 Mercedes wearing a Karl Marx t-shirt. I really should have gotten a picture of that.
(Laughs)

01-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
There is an update now.
Well, no one should be pretending they didn't see that coming, social media being the evil, puss filled cancer that it is.

01-13-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, no one should be pretending they didn't see that coming, social media being the evil, puss filled cancer that it is.
I'll just withdraw my Facebook friend request to you, Wheatfield!

01-13-2019, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'll just withdraw my Facebook friend request to you, Wheatfield!
I’m probably one of 6 people living in the developed world that has no social media presence. I had a facebook account for a few years to keep in touch with a friend that had moved overseas, but I closed it earlier this year. I really see it as a waste of time.
01-13-2019, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m probably one of 6 people living in the developed world that has no social media presence. I had a facebook account for a few years to keep in touch with a friend that had moved overseas, but I closed it earlier this year. I really see it as a waste of time.
Maybe for the best, Wheatfield, with you and your Dark Prince reputation!

Save social media for the sociable.

01-13-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, folks had better start searching for the other four, because I don't either - and I never will.

I'm a very sociable guy, but less so online. I have just a few forum memberships, though PF is the only one I use frequently. Other than that, I use only e-mail for online communication. I don't even like phone SMS messages, as the brevity and abbreviations result in too much margin for error in interpretation. So, forum messages aside, my only electronic communication is by e-mail. The rest is by voice over the phone, or - better still - face-to-face... the latter being the only method where people (me included) are truly themselves, and one might have any hope of reading intonation and body language...
01-13-2019, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe for the best, Wheatfield, with you and your Dark Prince reputation!

I don’t see social media as being especially sociable. Ask the owner of the former Thunderball Clothing Company how sociable it is. I’m more a “troll lite” All the lack of taste, half the sarcasm.

---------- Post added 01-13-19 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, folks had better start searching for the other four, because I don't either - and I never will.
My wife is another, so it’s only three more to find.
01-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m more a “troll lite” All the lack of taste, half the sarcasm.
(Laughs). You should list that as 'Occupation' when next asked on some official form.
01-13-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #44
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums

My wife is another, so it’s only three more to find.
Make that two.

Oh, and I still have a flip phone.

And a land line.
01-13-2019, 06:30 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Make that two.

Oh, and I still have a flip phone.

And a land line.
It figures that there would be a hive of semi Luddites in a Pentax community.