Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Not a bad way to start. But she will have to balance her devotion to creating new material and preparing prints for sale - keeping your work fresh and engaging, not an easy thing to do.
As I stated earlier, she's not a photographer and there are no prints to prep, but you're right that there is a balance between the business of art and the making of it. And none of it is easy, which only other artists understand. But for most of us, art is not something we really choose....it chooses us. We do it less because we want to but rather because we are compelled.

01-11-2019, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
But for most of us, art is not something we really choose....it chooses us. We do it less because we want to but rather because we are compelled.
EXACTLY. It's an actual part of you and without it, you feel that a part of you is missing.
As for the original topic... I wouldn't say i make "good" money, but I make enough to be happy and upgrade my creative gear (including computer equipment and audio devices).
Truth be told, I haven't REALLY pushed for any sales etc.
I've sold a few images on dreamstime, I'm also on Saatchi art and have sold a print there as well. I've also sold (most of the income) prints privately.
Most of the online income comes from ads I've put out regarding decor prints and selling music beats.
Most of the entire income comes from being hired for portraits and/or corporate projects and events.
For this year I have set some goals to increase my online sales though. It's just a matter of navigating the various platforms and focusing on what works best for each platform.

Last edited by Kobie; 01-11-2019 at 04:26 PM.
01-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

There might be a very few who make money selling prints over the net, but there sure aren't lots.
01-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Help me settle a bet. I bet my wife that no one makes good money selling photographic prints on the Internet. She believes just the opposite, that indeed there are lots of photographers are out there making good money by selling their photographic prints on the Internet.

I have friends with SmugMug websites. They tell me that they don't sell enough prints to even pay for their SmugMug fees. Go to SmugMug and do a search for any type of photo. You'll get tens of thousands of hits and you'll see a seemingly endless number of tiny thumbnail images. The chances of your image standing out and being selected for viewing (let alone resulting in a sale) are pretty low.

From a personal standpoint, I've developed and maintained two websites that sold my prints. Neither website came close to selling enough prints to even paying for my websites' hosting costs.

Based on your experience, do you think there are photographers out there who make good money selling prints on the Internet? Who are they? And what's been your experience - do you make good money selling your prints on the Internet?

Good money definition = enough money to pay for gear/hosting/printing expenses, AND at least minimum wage for your time spent on capture/processing/promotion/printing/distribution.
I would guess less than 1% of professional photographers make a significant amount of money simply from online sales. If you shoot a wedding or event and put it up on your site with targeted e-mails to the participants, you will still get a very small number of sales. Printed books from weddings sell better than prints in my experience.