Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dearth of Pentax - Grouchiness

Happy New Year!

With that said...I got gift certificates to Roberts / Used Photo Pro in Indianapolis and to 42nd Street Photo in NYC. Scrolling through all three sites, there seems to be a serious lack of Pentax products. Even those listed seem to be out of stock, and those that are not...are overpriced (esp. in the case of 42nd St.). Is this just a holiday phenomena? If I wait awhile, will there be better used stock at Used Photo Pro? Right now, it feels like I'm limited to buying a good tripod (not that I'm complaining about that), and nothing in terms of new / used lens selection, and so on.

Asking for a grouchy friend staring at me in the mirror.

01-01-2019, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I have purchased a ton of gear from Roberts / Used Photo Pro. One of my favorite sellers!

If they are low on Pentax brand gear, you might consider doing what I do - experiment with third Party lenses on your Pentax body. Check out their: M42 lenses, Leica R lenses, Zeiss ZF lenses (all are adaptable to Pentax K mounts), AND if you are feeling really experimental you can use inexpensive Bronica SQ lenses on your Pentax body with an adapter.. The Bronica SQ 150mm f/3.5 "S" is considered to be one of the best bokeh lenses ever made (I own 3 of them).

Just an option for you...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-01-2019 at 02:33 PM.
01-01-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I have purchased a ton of gear from Roberts / Used Photo Pro. One of my favorite sellers!

If they are low on Pentax brand gear, you might consider doing what I do - experiment with third Party lenses on your Pentax body. Check out their: M42 lenses, Leica R lenses, Zeiss ZF lenses, AND if you are feeling really experimental you can use Bronica SQ lenses on your Pentax body with an adapter.. The Bronica SQ 150mm f/3.5 "S" is considered to be one of the best bokeh lenses ever made (I own 3 of them).

Just an option for you...
Thanks, Fenwoodian. I love M42 and T lenses, so I will look at those.
01-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Greetings & Happy New Year!
Dittoes on Roberts as a vendor- very good customer service! Just my opinion, but scarce used Pentax lenses may be due to owner loyalty and their appreciation of value?
I recently shopped Fotodiox and got a few adapters and turned old lenses & bodies into new adventures! FYI, Fotodiox currently offering a sale on inventory. I would also suggest a splurge of a compatible lens from a rental provider. It’s a great way to try and learn about lenses before going broke on acquisitions.

01-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
Greetings & Happy New Year!
Dittoes on Roberts as a vendor- very good customer service! Just my opinion, but scarce used Pentax lenses may be due to owner loyalty and their appreciation of value?
I recently shopped Fotodiox and got a few adapters and turned old lenses & bodies into new adventures! FYI, Fotodiox currently offering a sale on inventory. I would also suggest a splurge of a compatible lens from a rental provider. It’s a great way to try and learn about lenses before going broke on acquisitions.
Jeff,

I love Robert's - I got my K-3 and a couple lenses from them. It's not a problem with them, as with a lack of Pentax and compatible stuff.
01-02-2019, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Another adapter to check on is the Nikon to Pentax. It opens up access to modern (used) manual lenses that are not available or scarce to the Pentax mount. I got my first Lensbaby this way.
01-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Another adapter to check on is the Nikon to Pentax. It opens up access to modern (used) manual lenses that are not available or scarce to the Pentax mount. I got my first Lensbaby this way.
Will that permit focus to infinity?

01-02-2019, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Will that permit focus to infinity?
Yes it does

Nikon Nikkor F Mount D/SLR Lens to Pentax K (PK) Mount SLR Camera Body Pro Mount Adapter ? Fotodiox, Inc. USA