Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh 3.1% Consumer Electronics Market Share in Japan

Hey everyone,

I've seen this posted on that other website.. decided to post it here too!

??? | BCN AWARD?BCN IT ?????

and more relevant to us:

???????(????) | BCN AWARD?BCN IT ?????

(Google Translate works wonders!)

According to that study, Ricoh's market share in the dSLR consumer electronics market has moved from 7.5% in 2012 and slowly receded over the years to 3.1% recently.

It looks to me that Canon has been dominate in this consumer market with Nikon a close second and Pentax a distant third.

Food for thought!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 01-19-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarity & Corrections
01-16-2019, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I don't see this turning around without a solid investment in Pentax from Ricoh.
01-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't see this turning around without a solid investment in Pentax from Ricoh.
2019 is the year! WOO HOO! Here we go! ... right? guys?
01-16-2019, 09:51 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Food for thought!
Time to get myself a medium format system, I will then see forum discussion from an aerial viewpoint.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
01-16-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Time to get myself a medium format system, I will then see forum discussion from an aerial viewpoint.
You better buy a drone for that aerial view.
01-16-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

While Ricoh Imaging falling in BCNRanking's statistics is not good news, people should stop calling these "market share in Japan".
01-16-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

2019 is the year! WOO HOO! Here we go! ... right? guys?
Well I saw someone suggesting to step up and come with 645Zii, K-3iii and K-1iii and the lenses on the roadmap. That might be a great idea.....but surely everyone will understand that that will need a good investment.

01-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"market share in Japan"
Could you please elaborate?

I looked at there study and it appeared to me that they sampled 40% of all Japan camera store sales - that's a pretty significant sample size imo...
01-16-2019, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

They're not statistically sampling Japan's camera store; that is, they're not choosing them at random.
Instead, they're using a set of consumer electronics stores (just a few being camera stores).
01-16-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

As noted in another thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As I mentioned in a previous year, BCN is mainly composed of electronic store chains that sell low end products. That’s why you see Canon outselling Sony in mirrorless. It’s also why Olympus does well. Nikon outsells Sony in compacts, but I bet Sony makes more money on them because their products are pitched higher.

Sadly, a lot of these stores don’t sell Ricoh/Pentax at all these days, because the only products they ever sold were the Q, K-S1 and WG. They had the catalogue for other products to order but I don’t think they even have that now.

So if Ricoh really wants to do better in the BCN Ranking, they’ll have to make more effort at the low end, but ironically the reaction here would be brutal if they launched an entry level camera before the K-3 successor.

Edit: As an illustration of this, take a look at the the current ranking.
???????????????????? - BCN?R
@JPT is a resident of Japan
01-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As noted in another thread:
Thank you for this clarification! That really changes the story especially since Pentax is pivoting to a higher end market with enthusiast and professional grade equipment!

---------- Post added 01-16-19 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
consumer electronics stores
I will update the title to reflect this! Thank you for clarifying!
01-16-2019, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

The trend is in line with the reports of Ricoh about declining sales for the camera division.

Somehow some people like to forget about that fact.
01-16-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey everyone,

I've seen this posted on that other website.. decided to post it here too!

??? | BCN AWARD?BCN IT ?????

and more relevant to us:

???????(????) | BCN AWARD?BCN IT ?????

(Google Translate works wonders!)

According to that study, Ricoh's market share in the dSLR consumer electronics market has moved from 7.5% in 2012 and slowly receded over the years to 3.1% recently.

It looks to me that Canon has been dominate with Nikon a close second and Pentax a distant third.

Food for thought!
The problem with this review is that Ricoh sells many cameras direct or through web-based retailers that were specifically excluded from this big box store only survey sampling. Pentax is not sold in many Best Buy/Electronics type stores (mostly Nikon, Canon & Sony). The real key is not necessarily market share but profitability....If Ricoh maintains a reasonable profit share, the brand will be safe...Personally, I would like to see RICOH pump a new marketing campaign in for Pentax including print and newspaper ads. When was the last time you even saw a Pentax commercial in print, let alone TV? long time for sure. I understand Ricoh's reluctance to advertise DSLRs and other cameras in the era of f/2.2 iPhone X's, but they are still selling units, their cameras are maintaining their quality and the brand is far from abandoned.
01-16-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You better buy a drone for that aerial view.
How about having yourself an interview with your comrade Thijs Ekelschot. Both of you should speak the same language, so you would solve the business of Pentax better than on Pentaxforums, because I'm afraid that most Pentax customers can't address your concerns (concerns such as: what products should Pentax make, how much investment would be required etc..).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-16-2019 at 11:36 AM.
01-16-2019, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Ignore BCN stats if used in any argument.

CIPA stats are close to definitive, but of course don't reveal breakdown according to brand.

It is rare even for shareholders to know exactly what and how many products an electronics company has sold.