Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Therein lies the problem for Olympus. The herd appears to be moving to larger sensors to give them some space between them and smartphone cameras.
But "the herd" is irrelevant these days. The herd died with the death of mass-market advertising and mass-merchandise brick-and-mortar retailing. It simply does not matter what "most people" are doing.

As long as some customers want smaller cameras with highly advanced functionality, a brand like Olympus can survive even if "the herd" want bigger cameras (e.g. FF) or super-simple functionality (e.g., smartphones).

The biggest threat to Olympus is if the company is burdened with too many liabilities (debts & pensions).

05-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
You should go to Japan and make business there: 会社 (gaisha or kaisha) means company. Not to be confused with 芸者 (geisha)!
Oops !
05-16-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But "the herd" is irrelevant these days. The herd died with the death of mass-market advertising and mass-merchandise brick-and-mortar retailing. It simply does not matter what "most people" are doing.

As long as some customers want smaller cameras with highly advanced functionality, a brand like Olympus can survive even if "the herd" want bigger cameras (e.g. FF) or super-simple functionality (e.g., smartphones).

The biggest threat to Olympus is if the company is burdened with too many liabilities (debts & pensions).
Olympus as a company is fine. Individual parts of Olympus may not be fine. Overall, the company is turning a profit and with the share of the endoscope market they have, they should continue to do so. But cameras not so much...

I don't really buy the whole "Camera R and D feeds the rest of the company line." I suppose there is a little overlap, but I can't imagine that there is a lot between the newest generation colonoscope and an EM1x (at least I hope there isn't).
05-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Falconeye predicted on this Forum five or six years ago that smaller sensors were going to get squeezed as larger sensors got cheaper. It isn't that crop sensors will go away -- they won't -- but that it is going to be harder to sell those cameras for higher prices.
Our eminent physicist (eminent to me at least) predicted the right result in general terms, so it probably doesn't matter if the basis of his prediction is incorrect. From 2013 to 2018, average value of ILCs shipped increased from 40,000 Yen to 53,000 Yen. Fixed lens cameras do not come with FF sensors, so as sales of that class of cameras fell by more than 80% in units, smaller sensors became less important. The average value of fixed lens cameras actually grew from 10,700 Yen in 2013 to 18,400 Yen in 2018.

Cost of production, market pricing and changing technology have had nothing to do with what has happened to the standalone camera market since the peaks of 2011-2013.The people who bought digital cameras during that peak because new technology became affordable, have stopped buying standalone digital cameras. The remaining market consists of diehards who enjoying buying new gear.

---------- Post added 05-16-19 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I can't imagine that there is a lot between the newest generation colonoscope and an EM1x (at least I hope there isn't).
The latest improvements in sensors, image processing and optics will appear first in photographic equipment, then those improvements end up in medical and industrial equipment (assuming that there are any benefits to be derived in the other applications). I agree, it is pretty hard to see a lot of value from having an internal camera division, when most of the useful technology transfer should be available from outside vendors.

05-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you read closely, the 100th is for AOC, not Pentax. AOC was renamed Pentax. Pentax is not a company. It was dissolved by Hoya. There, no corporate entity left.
but in an interview at CP+, Ricoh indicated that the Pentax development team is still separate from the Ricoh development team(s)
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(interestingly, Sugahara-san mentioned separate teams for Ricoh-branded (traditional) cameras and Pentax-branded cameras)
05-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Indeed, there seem to be three separate development teams within Smart Vision:
  1. the Pentax development team;
  2. the Ricoh camera development team (GR/WG/G); and
  3. the Ricoh Theta development team.
QuoteOriginally posted by Imaging Resource:
Hiroki Sugahara: Basically the Theta itself is developed by the Ricoh company. As you know, Ricoh and Pentax combined five years ago. We have another development team for the Theta, before five years ago, in the Ricoh company. So there's no impact to the development of Pentax-brand cameras, actually. [Of course,] the Theta team and the Pentax team and the Ricoh camera team are communicating with each other about technical information or picture quality.
Source: Medium-format DSLRs are coming, and mirrorless converts will return! Ricoh Q&A from CP+ | Imaging Resource

Thee is also a separate Theta entity (business division) within Smart Vision: one of the interviewees, Yuusuke Shimizu, is said to be (op. cit.) 'of the Product Planning & Management Section, Theta Planning Department, Theta Business Division, Smart Vision Business Unit'.

For such a small entity, it seems a bit siloed to a Westerner like me but who am I to judge?
05-17-2019, 04:15 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but in an interview at CP+, Ricoh indicated that the Pentax development team is still separate from the Ricoh development team(s)
Which indicates a group of Ricoh Imaging employees develop K-mount digital cameras and lenses that get Pentax screen printed on them.

05-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #143
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Or hide a loss?
Do you know if Fujifilm's ILCs are making a profit?
As with all camera brands we don't know wich device or product brings home the bacon and wich one is a loss maker. I think all brands have some winners and some losers.
05-25-2019, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #144
Pentaxian

One of the new Oly models

05-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #145
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
One of the new Oly models
That TG-6 looks pretty nice, actually. If the image quality is decent, it could sell reasonably well to folks who want more than a smartphone can offer. It has raw support, which is encouraging, although I've had Panny compacts with raw support that offered quite lacklustre IQ. But I suspect this Olympus might be quite decent in its class...

The question is, how will it do against phone cameras with underwater housings? Neither the Oly or the high-end phones it's competing against will offer great IQ due to sensor size. Ergonomically, the Oly willl be better, undoubtedly - but with so few controls, how much better?

https://www.kayburn.blog/gadget/taking-the-huawei-p30-pro-underwater/

This is one of those instances where a phone camera might actually compete on a level playing field, since the competition is a small-sensor point-and-shoot camera...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-25-2019 at 04:38 PM.
05-26-2019, 03:15 AM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't think anyone can expect another waterproof compact camera to rescue anybody. It looks fine. If that sounds like faint praise, it is. These sorts of camera have been around for awhile and they keep bumping frame rates and video specs and the depth of water they can tolerate, but otherwise, there is no reason to think that it will do better than a waterproof compact camera from three or four years ago.