Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Car manufacturers are interesting examples...

Here in the UK, numerous independent brands were acquired by larger multi-nationals over many decades, sometimes changing hands several times. But many of the engines and other components developed under previous ownership continued production, or (more often) were developed further, to be used in cars designed under the new ownership. So, whilst the old companies were either no longer involved or ceased to exist (independently, at least), much of the technology developed by them lived on in newer models. Something of the identity of those brands was retained in both the mechanical and visual designs.

A recent example of this was Vauxhall (in the UK) and its sister brand Opel (in Europe), both of which were latterly part of GM, but acquired by French multi-national PSA Group in 2017 - not simply to use the brand names on entirely unrelated cars, but rather to take what had already been accomplished by GM, make the business more efficient and profitable, and develop the brands and products further from the starting point of the acquisition.
The point is, if a company is bought out and dissolved by another company, its assets and intellectual property changes ownership. A company that has been dissolved cannot own anything, as there is no entity to take ownership any more.
It doesn't matter if the new owners keep making the same or similar products and keep the brand name that they bought, the old company is gone.
This is what happened to Pentax corporation. Hoya bought the company, dissolved it, broke it up into seperate divisions and sold one of those divisions to Ricoh.
Pentax corporate no longer exists and hasn't for about a decade. Pentax as a brand name still exists, but that is not Pentax corporation. That company went out of business.

05-15-2019, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One could say the same thing about Cadillac. Thats a brand name used by General Motors Corp. At one time it too was a standalone company. Now it's just the name on the door of a division of GMC.
So Cadillac has long ceased to exist and is a brand name only. Same for many motoring brands. And the majority of other consumer goods. As explained, Pentax as a camera and lens manufacturer existed as a company only from 2002 until 2013. Prior to 2002, it was a brand name of Asahi Optical or Hoya. After 2002, it has been a brand name of Hoya or Ricoh.

You continue to ask where the CEO or board of Pentax is: The answer is plain to see. The CEO and board is Ricoh Imaging's CEO and board.

I'm not sure where you're going with this argument. Pentax exists as a brand name of Ricoh, as it existed as a brand name of Asahi Optical. To suggest that Pentax has gone out of business is the same as suggesting Cadillac has gone out of business. Or Renault etc.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.
05-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread has run its course.
05-15-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #109
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This thread has run its course.
If we can stop discussing Pentax or Ricoh's corporate structure, then perhaps not!

05-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If we can stop discussing Pentax or Ricoh's corporate structure, then perhaps not!
Nope, I’m pretty sure that you answered my question. No more Pentax Corp.
Thanks.
05-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, I’m pretty sure that you answered my question. No more Pentax Corp.
Thanks.
The point is, if a company is bought out and dissolved by another company, its assets and intellectual property changes ownership. A company that has been dissolved cannot own anything, as there is no entity to take ownership any more.
Just let it go. Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ricoh Co. Ltd. https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=136880983
It is not defunct, as I have explained previously in this thread. The company has not been dissolved. You're going nowhere with this argument. Please let it be.
05-15-2019, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Olympus President Takeuchi commented at the time of the financial release.

He said that the imaging business is "an important business that supports the optical technology of Olympus"

The short term plan of Olympus is to try and break even this financial year.They have a few new products in development and anticipate their release in 2019.

The 150-400mm with 1.25 TC is a lens for the bigger bodies( X and 1,with grip).A 2.0 TC is under development and its aimed at the 150-400.A 2000mm similance.

The EM5 mk3 isnt far off,I'll guess that this will surpass the EM1 mk2(like the em5mk2 did to the EM1).

The version 6 of the excellent tough series is coming too.

Olympus is DOOMED!

05-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #113
Pentaxian

It is possible that the M43 format is doomed. Olympus may have hung it’s hat on the wrong hook.
So must have Panasonic,YI,Blackmagic and new boys Sharp.
05-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps you should stop replying, dude. You seem intent on continuing to give it oxygen.
Don't make comments that are devoid of fact, and I won't reply.
05-15-2019, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #115
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, folks, we've made, discussed, agreed and disagreed our points re Pentax. Let's all - me included - return to the thread topic, please.

Thanks in advance
05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #116
Pentaxian

I hope they weather this, they make nice stuff.
Olympus is profitable,its been said Fuji doesnt make profit from their hardware and the film stuff props it up(?)I dont know if thats correct but @Mistral probably could confirm that.

This time next year,the financials will drop again.I wont get the "Olympus is Doomed" Tshirts printed till then.
05-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #117
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
M43 would seem to have a more enduring foot-hold in the video arena. For Blackmagic in particular, that bodes well (indeed, they may be significantly contributing to the format's endurance), and Panasonic has a great reputation there too (I won't even mention YI ). So, for video, I think the format may well continue for a good while yet... But for a (primarily) stills photography brand such as Olympus, it is less cut-and-dried, I reckon. Clearly, m43 is well-suited to longer distance subjects, so the wildlife and sports thing is potentially a strong argument for the smaller sensor. But is it enough? I guess time will tell. As many of us have said, I sincerely hope Olympus' photography division continues successfully well into the future. It makes nice gear, and has a well-deserved following...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-15-2019 at 04:56 PM.
05-15-2019, 04:33 PM   #118
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus is profitable,its been said Fuji doesnt make profit from their hardware and the film stuff props it up(?)I dont know if thats correct but @Mistral probably could confirm that.

This time next year,the financials will drop again.I wont get the "Olympus is Doomed" Tshirts printed till then.
Olympus Group is profitable... but is the imaging division - the one that makes consumer cameras and lenses? I thought that's where we got into this discussion
05-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

Note that Panasonic just entered the full frame market. They might just be hedging their bets....
05-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but is the imaging division - the one that makes consumer cameras and lenses?
Not recently but as the Oly people have been saying for a long time,Imaging contributes to the profit from the other arms of the group.

If a human injures an arm,we try and heal it.If its beyond healing then?...Olympus are not in panic mode,just going through the aftermath of closing the Chinese factory.