Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Now in the ricoh site that picture of the mountain in snow appears to be an actual picture from the camera. That to me better represent actual achievable results.
That is a fameus mountain near Nagano. So it is not unlikely that someone went up and took an image.

Here is how your day trip looks like...
?????????????????????????????????? | ??????????

One of the images could be the one on the Ricoh site, but there is really nothing different about that mountain when you are there the same day, or maybe a few days before or after and all tourists are on the same spot.

The image he took with Sony A7iii and 28mm lens, so that is totally douable with a wg-6.

(It is fun to see such a fantastic place and a daytrip in a blog)

03-16-2019, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Maybe the camera has a satellite internet connection and rather than taking photos it just downloads images from shutterstock wherever you are in the world?

Woman Exploring Calm Tropical Bay Limestone Stock Photo 366374024 - Shutterstock

For the curious- the photographer lists a Canon 5d mkiii and a Fuji X-T2 under equipment.
03-16-2019, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

For a shot like this one of the image as seen on the screen, they should use a shot of an image on the screen. I know this would involve balancing screen output exposure with the exposure for the camera, either in camera or in post, dealing with refresh rate, etc, but this is giving an unrealistic view of what looking at the screen in live view or playback would be like (which , if it was shown accurately, might not sell a lot of cameras...) Screens are lower res than what the camera actually produces, so this is better looking that what viewing on the screen would. Does any manufacturer do this in their ads and brochures? For pictures showing what the camera's actual output will look like should be taken with the camera being advertised.

Forlorn hope I suppose, but a boy can dream...
03-17-2019, 02:20 AM   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So is the complaint that the camera didn't take the image, or that the camera couldn't have taken the image?...
Maybe any professionally taken image is misleading if you are selling to amateurs. This seems to me like splitting hairs. Advertising is advertising. If you don't understand they are paid to make a product look better than it actually is, in most circumstances, you shouldn't even be allowed to look at advertising.
The problem isn't that the image doesn't fairly represent the scene depicted; the problem is that it misrepresents the quality of the image that one can see on the LCD screen. They clearly didn't take a picture of the camera's LCD screen reflecting a "live view" image, they substituted a picture of much higher resolution and saturation than what you can see on that LCD screen. The LCD screen won't actually show you a picture that clear, and what they're doing by using that picture is guaranteeing that the LCD screen WILL display images of that quality and sharpness. Based on my experience with two such cameras, at any rate, unless my cameras are peculiarly defective in that respect.

The same rule applies to all advertising - even if the box of curry says, "serving suggestion", if the resultant curry doesn't look like what the picture shows, that's a violation. Seems to me there was a lawsuit a while back regarding TV advertising - I vaguely recall it had something to do with the use of mashed potatoes to simulate iced cream.

03-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
...This is interesting. How do MacDonald's and all the others using photographs of food even exist in Virginia? Certainly, Mickey-D never served a Big Mac that looked anything like what you would see in an ad. ...
True. Subway is the worst, I think, followed closely by Burger King. Most people don't realize that there's a legal issue at all (which is probably a good thing). And no one who knows that false advertising is worth $500 to anyone who cares to document the evidence carefully and spend (potentially) a few days in court wants to bother with it. Maybe someone who's still practicing law (unlike myself), could go find some unemployed people and give them enough money to buy themselves lunch and then document exactly what they got as well as the advertised product - since the consumer protection act promises an award of attorneys' fees.

Another problem with this kind of legislation is that judges are appointed politically, and they know which side of the bread their butter's on. Those who run the System Machinery are not the same people whom one finds in the local fast-food restaurant. Just plain folks don't get an even break for a lot of reasons. In my experience, courts don't think consumers' complaints are important, so the award of attorneys' fees reflects the courts' view of the significance of the suit. So, even though the function of the statute is supposed to be the improvement of the business climate in Virginia so that people will know they can rely on honest merchants, the courts treat consumer protection suits as next-to-frivolous (because consumers are not important people), so a lawyer might spend six thousand dollars worth of work on a case, with a resultant award of three hundred bucks (one hours' time) upon winning.
03-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #21
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The point being until we know what is being represented how do we know if it's misrepresented. Even then is a misrepresentation misleading?
Even if Pentax has an ad of a giant putting a k1 in its pocket is that an ad that a k1 is a pocket camera?
The original post is if a complaint is justified. What is misrepresented and why is or isn't that a reasonable assumption for the average person.
Which is why we have trials, judges, and juries. The application of law to any specific set of facts depends, obviously, on what the facts are that are given in evidence (regardless of real world facts). So in your example, one important fact would be whether it's clear that it's a depiction of a vastly oversized pocket. The "Jolly Green Giant" ads were never deceptive because it was clear that the whole thing was a fantasy, and the hypothetical or theoretical "least sophisticated consumer" (the standard for evaluation of "deceptive or misleading") ought to be able to figure that out. (A similar construct to "the average man of reasonable prudence" standard applicable to cases in negligence.)
03-17-2019, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose the good news is that there aren't any camera stores in Virginia (that I know of) that actually carry Pentax cameras.

03-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I suppose the good news is that there aren't any camera stores in Virginia (that I know of) that actually carry Pentax cameras.
There is one, actually, but you'd have to drive three hours to get there - it's in Ashburn, Loudoun Co. Ace Photo - Ace Photo Camera Store. Very reputable, but generally higher prices than with B&H/Adorama.
03-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
This is interesting. How do MacDonald's and all the others using photographs of food even exist in Virginia? Certainly, Mickey-D never served a Big Mac that looked anything like what you would see in an ad.
MacDonald's did a 'behind the scenes' photoshoot:

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
For a shot like this one of the image as seen on the screen, they should use a shot of an image on the screen. I know this would involve balancing screen output exposure with the exposure for the camera, either in camera or in post, dealing with refresh rate...
For the photo shown in this thread or the ones on Ricoh's website, balancing the light would be no problem. Getting a functioning pre-release camera in the hands of the advertising company for the photoshoot might be. I'd expect mock-ups or CG models to be the norm for many marketing campaigns. It goes to show how important brick and mortar stores are so you can get the thing in your hands before buying.
03-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The photo has either LCD glare or lens flare (added?), so I am not sure it is the best image necessarily if they are trying to (mis-)represent the camera's capabilities.
03-19-2019, 02:47 AM   #26
Unregistered User

Fascinating video. I especially liked the way the woman pronounces "out" and "about" - that used to be the way people talked in the part of Virginia I'm from, before all the foreigners from Massachussetts and New York moved in and took over. Maybe I'll move to Toronto.

What they didn't consider is that "pulling the ingredients forward" creates the impression that the patty is larger in diameter than it really is, since the viewer will naturally assume that it sticks out just as much in the back as it does in the front. It didn't occur to them that they're warranting as a contractual matter that the product will be the same as the depiction (at least in those states of the U.S. that have enacted the Uniform Commercial Code). I never thought McD's was particularly bad about their pictorial advertising, though. Like I said, I've thought that Subway and Burger King were the worst.

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
MacDonald's did a 'behind the scenes' photoshoot:

Go Behind the Scenes at a McDonald's Photo Shoot | McDonald's - YouTube

For the photo shown in this thread or the ones on Ricoh's website, balancing the light would be no problem. Getting a functioning pre-release camera in the hands of the advertising company for the photoshoot might be. I'd expect mock-ups or CG models to be the norm for many marketing campaigns. It goes to show how important brick and mortar stores are so you can get the thing in your hands before buying.