Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like no one else would work with Ricoh on those projects? They're not bad lenses, the 15-30 especially seems like a smart 'get' on Ricoh's part, and those two lenses were key in bringing the K-1 to market.

What I'm feeling no sympathy here over is that they left a mature ecosystem (k-mount land) for the wild unknowns of new mirrorless mounts. Where did they really lose money?

Then again, the whole interchangable-lens cameras & lenses market seems to be in a wild state of flux, and I don't know where I would have put my resources if I was running a company like Tamron. I also don't think anyone outside of a few people inside Tamron really know how much adding or not having k-mount lens production of at least a couple key lenses would impact the company.

04-10-2019, 03:32 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Given the very poor sales figures of the industry I do not believe it is important if "FF mirrorless adoption" is fast or slow. Either way it seems it is too poor for all of the players to survive.

Not only Olympus and Panasonic mFT is going down.
04-10-2019, 04:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe we will go back to the model where people buy a new camera when the shutter wears out. That would be 5-10 years for even the most active of us, (alhtough a few have burned out a shutter in a couple years). I don't think any expected the level of sales that took place without the major advances coming out every few years, the latest "advances" are so ho hum as to be ignorable.
04-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #34
Banned

Photos: Gallery
https://www.canonwatch.com/instagrammer-with-5-4m-followers-decided-to-switc...re-is-why/amp/

Maybe that helps people to make a choice....

04-12-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't think it does, really. There's nothing in that guy's newsletter that folks don't already know about mirrorless. And in spite of the advantages, everyone knows there are some disadvantages too... Or, rather, neither DSLR or mirrorless is the best tool for every job and every photographer. I say that as someone who actively shoots both types of camera...
04-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #36
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think it does, really. There's nothing in that guy's newsletter that folks don't already know about mirrorless. And in spite of the advantages, everyone knows there are some disadvantages too... Or, rather, neither DSLR or mirrorless is the best tool for every job and every photographer. I say that as someone who actively shoots both types of camera...
But people like to follow those who are ahead of them. Like to wear the kicks of Ronaldo, the fragrance of Ariana Grande and the camera of this photographer.
04-12-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

What, everyone should do what some instagram guy?

mikeSF has 3.8 followers on flickr, should we all buy 645Zs?

Helgi G SIgurson has 49.1 K flickr followers. Should we all write him and find out what he uses?

Maxorata has 28.3k flicker followers he uses a Nikon Coolpix P1000. Lets all rush out and buy one.

The only people I can access are people I follow, all 69 of them.

The insanity is astounding.

It's simply astounding that relatively intelligent people encourage herd mentality.

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/10/5-reasons-switched-back-canon-sony/

Last edited by normhead; 04-12-2019 at 11:36 AM.
04-12-2019, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But people like to follow those who are ahead of them. Like to wear the kicks of Ronaldo, the fragrance of Ariana Grande and the camera of this photographer.
But is this person "ahead" and worthy of being followed?

As BigMackCam noted, mirrorless is just one alternative camera design option with some advantages and some disadvantages relative to DSLR, RF, TLR, single-lens-LF, fixed box, etc. MILC users aren't ahead, they are just different.
04-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But is this person "ahead" and worthy of being followed?

As BigMackCam noted, mirrorless is just one alternative camera design option with some advantages and some disadvantages relative to DSLR, RF, TLR, single-lens-LF, fixed box, etc. MILC users aren't ahead, they are just different.
People ahead of them? My link shows there are people switching back. They drank the cool aid and became delirious , then they came to their senses, they realized what they'd done.

Some of us here are still under the influence of the cool aid.
04-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Maybe we will go back to the model where people buy a new camera when the shutter wears out. That would be 5-10 years for even the most active of us, (alhtough a few have burned out a shutter in a couple years). I don't think any expected the level of sales that took place without the major advances coming out every few years, the latest "advances" are so ho hum as to be ignorable.
IMO we’re one failed Black Friday away from a shakeout, and German banks aren’t helping. December was a warning shot.

I’ve sold all my bought-new DFA (and *) zooms and replaced them with used DA* zooms and planning for the 11-18. Aside from SDM issues there is a usability benefit and I can’t tell the difference in IQ using them on KP versus DFA(*) on K-1. I will sell further most F/FA primes except the Limiteds in favor of DA Limiteds. Were it not for my desire to shoot my manual lens collection (and the (DFA*50) on K-1 I’d have sold that by now. Last step is to reduce the ‘collection’ gear below the ‘I have one of each’ level, and it is a fairly large accumulation.

A K-1 and a KP is more than enough horsepower, even if a new APSc platform camera shows up. I can always buy everything back.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
04-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I take your point... but I'd like to think most folks are a little smarter than that. It's one thing to spend $200 on a pair of football boots, or $75 on a perfume, but quite another to spend thousands of dollars on a camera and lenses just because someone whose work you like shoots that system. Most folks spending that kind of money already have a little experience with photography and aren't likely to be so naive and gullible as to be significantly influenced by this guy...
04-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If we repeat that EVF is the advantage long enough, people start to believe it and once they believe it they repeat it to other.
An EVF provides a good view no matter how dim the light is - especially an advantage with cameras that provide good high ISO.

An EVF can provide a histograph right in the viewfinder

An EVF provides focus peaking, which can be very good for manual focus.

You don't have to value those advantages - but other users do.
04-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have always purchased a new camera because I was getting some gain from the purchase.

In 1969 I purchased my first 35mm camera, a Yashica rangefinder, because it gave me control of shutter speed - something my box camera did not do.

In 1973 I purchased a Canon rangefinder because the Yashica wasn't reliable.

In 1979 I purchased a Pentax ME/SE because it didn't limit me to 45mm lens.

In 1983 I purchased a Pentax Super Program because the ME/SE had become damp at Niagara Falls and was no longer reliable

In 1995 I purchased a Canon EOS Elan because I was ready for AF - and I really liked the EF/USM lenses.

In 2007 I purchased a Canon Rebel because I was ready to go digital.

In 2013 I purchased another Canon Rebel because the first had died.

In 2015 I purchased a Pentax K-30 because the second Rebel had died also.

In 2018 I purchased a Pentax KP because I longed for its high ISO capabilities.
04-12-2019, 02:18 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
An EVF provides a good view no matter how dim the light is - especially an advantage with cameras that provide good high ISO.

An EVF can provide a histograph right in the viewfinder

An EVF provides focus peaking, which can be very good for manual focus.
Yep, those are all things I like about the EVF on my SLT and mirrorless gear - especially the manual focus benefit, which - although no different to Live View on a DSLR - is easier and more enjoyable with my eye to the viewfinder. Add to that DOF preview with no loss of brightness, and - for manual aperture lenses - actual DOF view. Plus, registration distance on most mirrorless bodies that provides access to an even wider range of legacy glass, if that's your thing (it's one of mine).

But, I'm less crazy about the digitised / unnatural view, difficulty in seeing the EVF view when I have strong sunlight behind me (really have to jam my eye into the viewfinder), and the tiny but noticeable lag (more of a problem on some cameras than others). Battery life isn't typically great, either, due to the constant "live view" whether you're using the EVF or main LCD screen.

Overall, I prefer looking through an OVF, and I find shooting with a DSLR more pleasurable. But, when the application calls for it, I'll happily go with mirrorless. Thankfully, I'm not one of those adversely affected when using an EVF, so they work pretty well for me.
04-12-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

I recently bought a Ricoh GR ll and although I've only had it and used it for a couple weeks, I'm very impressed...by it's simplicity. No interchangeable lens, just a very good quality wide angle , small, easily carried, lightweight, relatively big sensor for great image quality.

You know, I could really get into the idea of simple, light and handy.

For years my 'handle' or online nickname has been' Lesmore', based on that old saying...less is more.

According to wikipedia.." Less is more (architecture), a phrase adopted in 1947 by architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe as a precept for Minimalist design and architecture. "

Well maybe I'm finally practising what I've been preaching ...through using the little Ricoh GR ll. It is minimalist in some ways and that is a good thing. No excess gear, but certainly very good gear and it's minimalist design can allow the photographer to get back to the basics.

Another point, the GR has been constant evolving since the mid '90's...albeit a very big change from film to digital. The philosophy of minimalism has always been key in this camera series development.