Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2019, 01:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax, a forgotten camera brand

Is it me but it seems as if Pentax is increasingly being neglected when it comes to news and reviews in camera magazines and online sources. For instance, the most recent Digital Camera World magazine in the UK featured a review of 70-200mm lenses for a variety of camera brands but Pentax were conspicuous by their absence from the 8 lenses reviewed. Only Nikon, Canon and Sony compatable lenses featured. Moreover, it seems that third-party lens manufacturers Tamron and Sigma no longer seem to offer Pentax compatable lenses among their range, especially when it comes to new lenses that come along.
I fear for the Pentax brand if this trend continues.
Regards
Mike

04-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

may be your right.

ricoh pentax is only supporting the ricoh camera's.
not the pentax dslr.
and no upgrading of the pentax dslr
04-19-2019, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #3

F.U.D.
04-19-2019, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

This is neither news nor a rumor

04-19-2019, 02:41 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "Photographic Industry and Professionals" forum...
04-19-2019, 02:45 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mjkelly62 Quote
Pentax, a forgotten camera brandIs it me but it seems as if Pentax is increasingly being neglected when it comes to news and reviews in camera magazines and online sources. For instance, the most recent Digital Camera World magazine in the UK featured a review of 70-200mm lenses for a variety of camera brands but Pentax were conspicuous by their absence from the 8 lenses reviewed.
Pentax is like the negative space in a photo. Everyone will notice Pentax is absent, because everyone knows Pentax. Pentax is so unknown that you found your way up to here, Pentaxforums to make your point about Pentax, and your post reminds us about the presence of Pentax. Thank you for posting.

---------- Post added 19-04-19 at 11:52 ----------

Pentax is not about the new lenses advertised in the latest doomed magazine, Pentax is a legendary brand.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-19-2019 at 02:53 AM.
04-19-2019, 02:58 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it me but it seems as if Pentax is increasingly being neglected when it comes to news and reviews in camera magazines and online sources. For instance, the most recent Digital Camera World magazine in the UK featured a review of 70-200mm lenses for a variety of camera brands but Pentax were conspicuous by their absence from the 8 lenses reviewed. Only Nikon, Canon and Sony compatable lenses featured. Moreover, it seems that third-party lens manufacturers Tamron and Sigma no longer seem to offer Pentax compatable lenses among their range, especially when it comes to new lenses that come along.
Regards
Mike

Firstly, welcome to the forums, Mike

This same discussion, in one form or another, has cropped up periodically in these forums countless times for years now. Indeed, for most of the years I've been active here, some folks have feared for Pentax's future... and yet, here we are in 2019 with Ricoh still releasing new Pentax (and Ricoh own brand) cameras and lenses to an eager and receptive user base.

The thing is, Pentax is a niche brand... far more so than the others you've mentioned. Magazines and websites tend to focus on brands with the widest user bases. Larger third party lens manufacturers are building for brands that will result in high volume sales. In their view, they're not going to get enough sales to justify producing K-mount. But you'll note that smaller lens manufacturers are in fact continuing to support K-mount.

My advice would be, don't fear for the brand. It may not be as widespread and prolific as Nikon, Canon, Sony etc., but neither is Leica, and they're doing just fine

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
may be your right.

ricoh pentax is only supporting the ricoh camera's.
not the pentax dslr.
and no upgrading of the pentax dslr
With respect, that's wholly inaccurate.

Ricoh has several current Pentax DSLR models that it supports fully, and is gradually expanding the number of lenses available for them. The pace of development and number of new camera releases has reduced, but one could argue that's a smart move by Ricoh given the falling sales figures for interchangeable lens cameras year on year. That aside, Ricoh Imaging management has made clear in interviews that it will continue to produce Pentax cameras and lenses.

04-19-2019, 03:46 AM - 14 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax is a cult brand for photo enthusiasts. I believe their absence is part of the cult; it will augment their mythical cult status. Pentax is a choice made by the informed. You are not choosing a Pentax to follow the herd. It is not something you bought because someone in camera store said you should. It is a deliberate, individual and informed choice made after research.
04-19-2019, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums, MIke. You have a Pentax. So do I and I enjoy both the camera(s) and the brand for what they let me do. Like a lot of others, I like being part of a niche brand. There is no point in worrying (or even speculating) about the future because it may never come.

On Tamron and Sigma no longer supporting Pentax, that is a more complex issue than it may appear at first glance. As cameras get more complex and lenses likewise, it is not cost effective for a manufacturer to support a minor camera manufacturer's lens mount with a lens that will 'talk' to the body and make full use of all the features we have come to expect. But third party Chinese and Korean manufacturers are producing very good manual lenses for Pentax (including some with auto aperture). Pentax also uses some Tamron designs under its own brand. And more recently, Tokina has licensed a Pentax lens to produce for other DSLR mounts. So all is not as moribund as some would have us believe.

Last edited by PJ1; 04-19-2019 at 04:34 AM.
04-19-2019, 04:26 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The "trend" has been going for over 15 years. Pentax are still here.
04-19-2019, 04:27 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Only Nikon, Canon and Sony compatable lenses featured.
Dang! That bodes poorly for even those three if only eight lenses can be found between the three of them. After all, we all know that a brand lives and dies on the strength of available 70-210mm zooms. As for the others (Pentax, Leica, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus, and the rest), hope may spring eternal, but lack of coverage by the DCW family of publications seals their fate.

BTW...welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
04-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax is a cult brand for photo enthusiasts. I believe their absence is part of the cult; it will augment their mythical cult status. Pentax is a choice made by the informed. You are not choosing a Pentax to follow the herd. It is not something you bought because someone in camera store said you should. It is a deliberate, individual and informed choice made after research.

While Pentax certainly enjoys a certain cult following, the myth has never had as strong a pull on me as what I actually got for my money, the confidence and fun I experienced when using it, and the quality of the results I obtained from it. The kind of satisfaction you get from using a well-made, capable tool. That is what rekindled my interest in a brand that used to be a household name in the days of film.

I specifically remember that sample files from a K10D posted on the Swiss Pentax website had no small part in making me follow Pentax and finally deciding I wanted a K10D, K20D, or K-7. Another factor was that we already had an Optio S10 in the family, which I had got for my wife, and which helped convince me that digital was the way I wanted to go in the future.
04-19-2019, 04:38 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Shhhhh. Others will come and ruin our secret!
04-19-2019, 04:55 AM - 6 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Pentax needs to have a presence in camera stores. Here in Canada the rep for Pentax is also the rep for Sigma, and several other lines. These reps sell what’s easy, what’s hot and what takes the least amount of effort.

Yesterday I brought my new KP into the office so a colleague could try it out. She shoots weddings for a living and works with us in the off season. This lady shoots with a pair of Canon 5D mkIII’s. Heading down south next month she didn’t want to take one of the 5D beasts with her. After trying the KP with the HD DA 40, HD DA 21 and HD DA 70 she was impressed. Trying the KP in several work areas where she turned off the lights and let in only modest light from hallways or mostly closed blinds she became smitten with the KP and was blown away by the modest price. This lady plans on ordering a KP to add to her bag!

It just goes to show that putting a Pentax into non-Pentaxian hands is the best way to sell the product!
04-19-2019, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #15

Moreover, it seems that third-party lens manufacturers Tamron and Sigma no longer seem to offer Pentax compatable lenses among their range, especially when it comes to new lenses that come along.
On P-K mount lots of third party lenses are being badge-engineered by Pentax and sold exclusively under the original Pentax brand.
Not only Tokina, I just found out recently that the new DFA 15-30 2.8 lens is basically a rebranded Tamron 15-30, minus the OS.... unfortunately it's 50% more expensive than a Tamron would be.
Well, Sigma currently has a run, yet they won't release their awesome new stuff for Pentax any more, but at least they still released the highly anticipated 18-35mm 1.8 Art for Pentax too.