Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Perhaps I getting old in that my brand recognition of Sony is "What the heck is a TV and audio company doing manufacturing cameras?". Oh, and the root-kit dirty trick that they played on their customers a while back*.

As others have said, Sony would seem to have come from a consumer electronics culture where everything is thrown away and replaced every 2 or 3 years. OTOH, at least back when Pentax and Canonikon started, it was expected that a good camera would last your lifetime (my father's cameras did), and while those days have gone I would still rather buy a camera from a company with that cultural background.

* Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal - Wikipedia
It would appear the Sony got into digital ILCs in about 2006. I have many lenses that were made and are still functional that were made 10 years before Sony got into the act. No one knows what Sony's track record will be, 10 years from now. In that sense, any Sony purchase is a gamble.

Last edited by normhead; 06-01-2019 at 07:04 AM.
06-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Every single camera release these days starts at $3K, $4K, $10K. The camera business is soon going in implode, because camera prices were around $1K for a decade, and now prices are increasing much faster than people's income. The digital business model is dead because the high price is a barrier to entry for many people, which wasn't the case for film technology where you paid per roll / print, so if you didn't make many prints it doesn't cost you a kidney. With digital, you have to pay a pack of money upfront before having taken a single picture. Camera makers should make a business model like for inkjet printers: the printer is easy to buy, the ink is expensive but if you only print for personal needs it's not costing a kidney.
06-02-2019, 02:13 AM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Every single camera release these days starts at $3K, $4K, $10K. The camera business is soon going in implode, because camera prices were around $1K for a decade, and now prices are increasing much faster than people's income.
Yes, it's a mad scramble for these big companies to become niche ones.

06-02-2019, 02:39 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every single camera release these days starts at $3K, $4K, $10K. The camera business is soon going in implode, because camera prices were around $1K for a decade, and now prices are increasing much faster than people's income. The digital business model is dead because the high price is a barrier to entry for many people, which wasn't the case for film technology where you paid per roll / print, so if you didn't make many prints it doesn't cost you a kidney. With digital, you have to pay a pack of money upfront before having taken a single picture. Camera makers should make a business model like for inkjet printers: the printer is easy to buy, the ink is expensive but if you only print for personal needs it's not costing a kidney.
Sony's business model is to keep older cameras around for years after release and lower the price on them. If you don't mind a three or four year old model, you can get a camera for 1000 to 1500 dollars.

But it is really clear that a lot of these brands are trying to make the same amount of money on fewer sales.

06-02-2019, 03:19 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you don't mind a three or four year old model, you can get a camera for 1000 to 1500 dollars.
It's may be rational thinking to buying old models new, but I'd feel strange about it.
06-02-2019, 03:27 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's may be rational thinking to buying old models new, but I'd feel strange about it.
Sure. Probably the best deal they have now is the A7r II which is 1500. It's still a pretty nice camera and is capable of many of the same things that newer models are, albeit with slower auto focus and only 5 fps frame rate (I'd be fine with both of those). But it does have IBIS and 4K video
06-02-2019, 04:15 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A lot of money and man hours have been spent to create that feeling and it's not helping consumers one bit.

06-02-2019, 06:35 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A lot of money and man hours have been spent to create that feeling and it's not helping consumers one bit.
The money is spend on video features mostly. Decent video montage is completely different from photography, a lot of us aren't interested. On new cameras models people have to pay for 4k developments even if they never asked for it.
06-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #84
Veteran Member

So, now we are looking at Sony Doom and Gloom? Don't we laugh at all the Pentax Doom and Gloom on this forum?

I highly doubt Sony will collapse or their mirrorless camera's become a niche market. Lighten up folks. This photography market is hard on ALL.
06-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I highly doubt Sony will collapse or their mirrorless camera's become a niche market. Lighten up folks. This photography market is hard on ALL.
An elephant landed in the room.
06-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #86
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
So, now we are looking at Sony Doom and Gloom? Don't we laugh at all the Pentax Doom and Gloom on this forum?

I tend to agree somewhat... especially with that last sentence. In fairness, though, given that these are Pentax / Ricoh brand-specific forums, I do understand why (a) folks get sick of the "Pentax is doomed" nonsense, and (b) feel inclined to shine the spotlight on other brands for a change
06-02-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I tend to agree somewhat... especially with that last sentence. In fairness, though, given that these are Pentax / Ricoh brand-specific forums, I do understand why (a) folks get sick of the "Pentax is doomed" nonsense, and (b) feel inclined to shine the spotlight on other brands for a change
Although, there is a real question about whether or not this is the right time to be investing in newly designed product. In the long run, I'm interested to see how this plays out.
06-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #88
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Although, there is a real question about whether or not this is the right time to be investing in newly designed product. In the long run, I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Yes, me too... It seems like a transitional period for both technological and brand development. I wouldnt want to be trailblazer right now, either as a manufacturer or consumer...
06-03-2019, 02:32 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
While the smartphone camera business just started to flatten out the ILC camera business has been in free fall for years.
All makers have either dropping customer numbers or dropping profits.
The whole market system is based on growing.

It would be wishful thinking to asssume there will be not victims, especially as there is no end to the collapse in sight.

Consider Samsung who had the technically most advanced cameras and certainly enough cash for anything. They withdrew. And the only other entertainment electronics company like Samsung in the game now is Sony.

Now that monopoly scenarios in all the market segments have ended the full scale competition situation will force some results. Probably over the next three years.

I don't think anyone will want to argue that the current situation is even close to sustainable.
06-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And the only other entertainment electronics company like Samsung in the game now is Sony.
The electronics is the only common denominator.$ony have captured a lot of market share for ILC and lead the fixed camera producers on the recent figures.They are well and truly in the game.Samsung were on the reserves bench trying to get a start.

Panasonic have been doing ok in the minors but could struggle(?) in amongst the big boys.

Last edited by surfar; 06-03-2019 at 03:14 AM.