Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 93 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs).

If they consider buying it, it makes it a commercial product I guess, Don. It might be a cliché, and that sells. But art?

IIRC, van Gogh struggled to sell a painting in his lifetime, so it's interesting the whole connection between dollars and quality.
Trust me, Van Gogh did not have any less success at selling his work than I have had.

05-01-2019, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good handful of them almost seemed like .. well .. for the lack of the word "User Error"
05-01-2019, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
"People in the industry" ... they do not seem to have very desirable jobs, so maybe that's why they are so grumpy.

'Photographer' Named One of the 25 Worst Jobs in the US
Well... At least, professional photography is the Least worst job. (Check out my signature, you brave ones!)
05-02-2019, 04:13 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi Clackers, I have to agree with most of what is said there, I disagree with PENTAX is to slow for sports, just look at the work of Chris Smith, Eammon McCabe, all with manual, I know that was not your quote but it is an invalid point, about LEICA etc if the lens is sharp it is sharp no matter who makes it, haha just a bit of a say mate, regards Ian
I said those things as another "unpopular' statement--meaning Pentax is not too slow for sports, but is said by unknowing individuals and is very unpopular here (that's why I said I'm adding this as number 30 to unpopular comments).
The Leica quote is from the list itself....I love manual focus because it can be faster than AF and I can use the rangefinder to focus the part of the frame I'm 'focusing' on. It wasn't Clackers it was me....just clarifying.

05-02-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I said those things as another "unpopular' statement--meaning Pentax is not too slow for sports, but is said by unknowing individuals and is very unpopular here (that's why I said I'm adding this as number 30 to unpopular comments).
The Leica quote is from the list itself....I love manual focus because it can be faster than AF and I can use the rangefinder to focus the part of the frame I'm 'focusing' on. It wasn't Clackers it was me....just clarifying.
Hi there i know it was not Clackers so lets not split hairs, thanks ian
05-03-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #66

Just some observations.
Equipment versus talent - Roger Federer could outclass most folks with a tennis racket from Walmart.

Opinions -- we all have them.

Many of the masters in art and music became that after they died.

I spent 39 years as an Industrial Chemist for a Fortune 500 company and found that people can be educated beyond their intelligence, talented beyond their education, and conceited beyond belief to the point of failing rather than being wrong!

We had an understanding that when salespeople introduced us as company experts, that the common joke was that being an expert means you are more than 50 miles from home and have an expense account.

I worked with a widely respected chemist that had a poster on his door of his office that was a photograph of a huge male orangutan and the statement "If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you!". He was good enough to have that attitude.

Pentax may (or may not) be on a trajectory to fail, but I am riding that with them.

JB
05-04-2019, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Trust me, Van Gogh did not have any less success at selling his work than I have had.
But do you still have both your ears? (That's the real question)...

05-04-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

A lens hood mounted backwards doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like an ignorant noob.

Probably not an unpopular statement, but I'm feeling cranky this morning.

90% of the time when I see someone with the hood facing the wrong direction, it's a Canon shooter.
05-04-2019, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A lens hood mounted backwards doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like an ignorant noob.

90% of the time when I see someone with the hood facing the wrong direction, it's a Canon shooter.
The other day in the park I pointed out to (yes a canon shooter) that their lens hood was on backwards... they gave me a dirty look and kept on shooting. For some odd reason, I thought they didn't know and would correct the situation.

Silly me.

Apparently it's possible to spend the big bucks for a great camera, and not know what the lens hood does for your photography.

Having the money to buy an expensive camera doesn't mean you know a damn thing.

Last edited by normhead; 05-04-2019 at 07:29 AM.
05-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

Total noob. While the lens will work, you can't do manual focus. At least not with the lenses that I have. Oh wait, noobs don't do manual.
05-04-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

27. The best camera isn't the one with you, it's your best camera, so make sure that's the one with you.

I guess that also applies to lenses? So you pack all your lenses because you never know what you will see, or have a need for (different lenses are best for different things). I only have a small collection of 16 lenses covering 20mm to 300mm, plus converters, plus tripod, etc. I really feel bad for someone with a large collection, who has to carry all that gear.
05-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I only have a small collection of 16 lenses covering 20mm to 300mm, plus converters, plus tripod, etc. I really feel bad for someone with a large collection, who has to carry all that gear.

05-05-2019, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Total noob. While the lens will work, you can't do manual focus. At least not with the lenses that I have. Oh wait, noobs don't do manual.
With the newer lenses, the zoom ring is farther away from the camera while the focus ring is closer. This means you can't zoom if you have the hood turned around.
05-05-2019, 03:29 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The other day in the park I pointed out to (yes a canon shooter) that their lens hood was on backwards... they gave me a dirty look and kept on shooting. For some odd reason, I thought they didn't know and would correct the situation.

Silly me.

Apparently it's possible to spend the big bucks for a great camera, and not know what the lens hood does for your photography.

Having the money to buy an expensive camera doesn't mean you know a damn thing.
I spent four hours at the Botanical Garden yesterday. Nearly everyone not using an SLR was holding up a phone . The ILC shooters actually had their hoods correctly mounted, which was good because it was a high bright sun. Next time I’ll go earlier. Not that I’m not a noob. When I sat down to process I discovered the camera was set to jpeg sequential, not RAW+.

It was an exceedingly pleasant afternoon, marked by knowing smiles, waiting turns, avoiding photobombing (and letting walkers pass) and a really nice discussion about Pentax while I sat on a bench changing lenses. Renewed my faith in society just a little bit, unlike the Zoo, which is an exercise in conflict avoidance.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-05-2019 at 03:36 AM.
05-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #75
Pentaxian

It's not just canon shooters that shoot with the lens hoods on backwards.