Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 07:48 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unpopular Opinions From Current Industry Professionals

"I asked people in the industry what their unpopular photograph opinions are, and I got a lot of interesting answers. And some controversial ones …"

What Is Your Unpopular Photography Opinion? Here Are 29 From Industry Pros | Fstoppers

04-30-2019, 08:00 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's Number 30:

Pentax AF is not fast enough for sports photography......
04-30-2019, 09:13 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

There is a limit to the ability of tech to make up for the technical deficiencies of those using tech.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2019 at 09:19 PM.
04-30-2019, 09:14 PM - 6 Likes   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting list, my suggested corollary to
18. Photographers obsess over corner performance and micro-contrast on lenses, shot on 36mp+ bodies, only to upload a heavily compressed 1080p image to Instagram.

18a. Photographers obsess over corner performance and micro-contrast on lenses, shot on 36mp+ bodies, only to place a vignette on all of their images -destroying any trace of corner detail.

But then I despise most vignettes.

04-30-2019, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Some vaid points in there, but as has been noted, a touch of sour grapes by industry pros perhaps?

Beginning with:
99% of photography schools and degrees are a rip off.

And digs aimed at others throughout.
04-30-2019, 10:22 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two from me.

A "Straight out of Camera" image is NOT inherently superior in any technical, moral or ethical sense, to an image which is post processed.

Auto focus failures are almost always the result of poor technique on the part of the photographer.
04-30-2019, 10:44 PM - 6 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A "Straight out of Camera" image is NOT inherently superior in any technical, moral or ethical sense, to an image which is post processed.
I chuckeled when I read this because I have been saying for years that SOOC just means leaving the task of rendering one's vision to a machine that has no idea what one wanted to express.

Steve

04-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I chuckeled when I read this because I have been saying for years that SOOC just means leaving the task of rendering one's vision to a machine that has no idea what one wanted to express.

Steve
I first came to this conclusion after posting an image to a local bird watching forum. One lady complimented me on the sharpness and asked how I achieved the result. I proceeded to explain the process using a high pass filter. The reply came back "Oh!. My husband's camera takes perfectly sharp photos without all that"
04-30-2019, 11:21 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

8. The vast majority of photographers have a massively overblown sense of self importance. You are a monkey pushing a button on an expensive box, not the reincarnation of Jesus.
04-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
8. The vast majority of photographers have a massively overblown sense of self importance. You are a monkey pushing a button on an expensive box, not the reincarnation of Jesus.
*Was* a good one, wasn't it?
05-01-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

1-3. right!
4. wait... people pay for custom signatures?
5-10. LoL!

11. just like lighting. Ah, ok, there's 21.
[...]

Nice list
05-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Pentax AF is not fast enough for sports photography......
I'd class that more as received wisdom than unpopular opinion
05-01-2019, 02:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting points for the most part. I think in some ways photography has gotten easier as the gear has gotten better, but in many ways, it is harder because it isn't enough to take a sharp photo with a medium format camera and then print it. Now, people expect something different than their friend got with their portrait or wedding photos. For all of the negativity on social media, Instagram is definitely the best place to market yourself and your photos.

In the end, I think the important thing is to find your own style and try to tailor your photos to meet that style. You'll be happier --whether that style include flashes, wide aperture lenses, film, or medium format cameras (all of which were disparaged at one point or another in this list).
05-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'd class that more as received wisdom than unpopular opinion
See, I think it's the operator of the camera....I agree with most pros that technology
can make a bad shooter decent, but in some situations, a professional or a serious amateur can manipulate the technology for itself. Example: on that list is "Leica is a toy for rich hipsters". I disagree. the Leica lens and the look is unique. I have 4 Leica's and I'm not a rich hipster. I use the Leica because of the len renderings and the quality of the bodies. Even the Leica CL digital is excellent. It costs more than any APS-c camera (excepting the 4/3 Olympus for the moment) but it delivers. At Street price of $2,500, it costs more than the K-1, but in several ways is superior to it.

Price alone should not judge a camera's potential. That potential should be observed through the user of the camera and the results obtained. Just a quick look at the K-1, KP or K-S2 dedicated photo threads in this Forum show the degree of ability and difference in qualitative work--with those using the same camera and lens.
05-01-2019, 05:08 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Claiming to be a natural light only photographer is almost always just a cover for being unwilling or unable to work with artificial light."
Exactly! (although I use the term, "available light") The fact is, I'm too stupid & lazy to work with flash & other forms of controlled photographic illumination.