Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Nice story. Next chapter: "I got bored of my Pentax K1 and..."
By the way. I wasn't being negative. Just a joke

05-28-2019, 12:30 PM - 11 Likes   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just finished a read of a camera voyage from a long-time photographer than ends with the K1 as the final destination. Quite a good article and offers a different perspective than some of us have seen written

How My Journey For a Perfect Camera Landed me on Pentax's Doorstep

In essence he's back to enjoying photography now, and understands why.

"I love that I’m not totally dependent on AI to help me get shots. Mirrorless cameras are great, but they’re not for me. They’re like autopilot for photographers; where’s the fun in that? I know that when I nail the shot with the Pentax K1 II, it was all me, and it’s so damn satisfying. I’ve finally found my perfect camera."
Thanks for sharing the link to my recent article. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
He does come across as that sort of guy, but I'll be happy to take the good press while it lasts.
I can assure you, i'm not that guy. I just knew fairly early on in my time with Sony and Fujifilm that they weren't for me. 17 years with one brand otherwise.

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 12:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
On a first read, the writer may appear to be somewhat restless and impatient, having used eight different cameras across three brands and two formats, and having owned at least five of them prior to the K-1 II.

However, the overall tone and several remarks seem to speak to important core aspects of photography:
  • "Having fun with my photography again..."
  • "I got caught up in the numbers game created by marketing departments..."
  • "When I pick up the Pentax K-1 II, it just feels right."
The piece is a good testament to Pentax ergonomics, quality, usability, and classic lenses.

- Craig
Thank you for picking up on the core message of my article. That seems to have been missed by a few. Hope you enjoyed the read.
05-28-2019, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Thanks for sharing the link to my recent article. Much appreciated.

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 12:31 PM ----------

I can assure you, i'm not that guy. I just knew fairly early on in my time with Sony and Fujifilm that they weren't for me. 17 years with one brand otherwise.

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 12:34 PM ----------

Thank you for picking up on the core message of my article. That seems to have been missed by a few. Hope you enjoyed the read.
Not often a forum gets the 3rd party article author to comment. Thanks for following us and welcome to Pentaxforums!
05-28-2019, 12:41 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Not often a forum gets the 3rd party article author to comment. Thanks for following us and welcome to Pentaxforums!
Thank you. I really appreciate that. I have been enjoying my time here immensely since joining. Now things are starting to settle down a bit in the writing world with The Phoblographer I intend to spend more time with you guys here in the forum.

05-28-2019, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK - I'll subscribed, and I'll follow you there also. Am beginning to rethink the K1 as an upgrade path (thanks also Normhead & countless others), and have been looking for something more than the quick tips and tricks & free e-books I've been getting to date anyway.... just reading article on AGFA/peel apart film..

I also had an AE1 and a T90 some decades ago, and chose Ricoh/Pentax for digital because the cameras had that feel of control and ergonomic convenience that I had with those cameras - as some reviewers said they were built for photographers. They also seemed relatively uncluttered by gimmicks, and there seemed to be a more direct path between you as the person taking the picture and the picture itself.

Last edited by rjbrett; 05-28-2019 at 03:21 PM.
05-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What it all comes down to is some people switch to brand, some people switch away from the same brand, all cameras do a good job but not all cameras suit your style. People who argue you have to have this or that or the other feature because it's better, need to understand, not everyone thinks what is important is what they think is important. We get way to many cheerleaders that think because there's camera they think is best for them, doesn't mean anyone else does.

There is nothing more pointless than telling someone their camera isn't good enough for them.
And exaggeration is the worst thing in the whole world.
05-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I enjoyed the read(and comments),good luck with the next stop on the camera journey.

Here is another guys experience.

05-28-2019, 06:53 PM - 7 Likes   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I enjoyed the read(and comments),good luck with the next stop on the camera journey.

(Laughs) Our resident mirrorless salesman has to chime in to contradict our new forum member … of course!

Brett has been through all this - read about 'em. used 'em, reviewed 'em for a website, if you haven't been paying attention.
05-28-2019, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Forum Member

Why I'm SWITCHING from FULL FRAME to MICRO FOUR THIRDS | PENTAX K1 to PANASONIC G9 - YouTube
Sorry mate. You're not getting rid of me that easily i'm afraid

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs) Our resident mirrorless salesman has to chime in to contradict our new forum member … of course!

Brett has been through all this - read about 'em. used 'em, reviewed 'em for a website, if you haven't been paying attention.
Hahaha thanks mate. I'm used to it. I get questioned about my choices and preferences every day due to working in the industry. It cracks me up. You're right. I have used just about every camera out there thanks to my job, and the Pentax is the one that has won me over. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.
05-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 07:00 PM ----------

Hahaha thanks mate. I'm used to it. I get questioned about my choices and preferences every day due to working in the industry. It cracks me up. You're right. I have used just about every camera out there thanks to my job, and the Pentax is the one that has won me over. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.
Neat write-up Brett. Much enjoyed.
05-28-2019, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Neat write-up Brett. Much enjoyed.
Thank you so much, Mark. I really appreciate the feedback.
05-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs)
You must have been looking in your mirror,so how are your 3 mirrorless bodies going.Sitting there owing you money...MEH!

I'm already in M43(bypassed that $$$ony rubbish,its nice tech but not great quality)
05-28-2019, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard, Brett, and if you want to go full photography monty with your new Pentax, go pick yourself up a few manual focus primes. Your next article will end up twice as long (if you can stand not using your camera long enough to write it).

And to round out the full experience, Pentax is secondarily responsible for the generation of this forum, and the attraction of some high quality human beings as you're no doubt discovering right now. Got a question or want to share some ideas or photos, this is your place. Lots of friends here (and surprisingly few chuckleheads). Right Clackers?
05-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You must have been looking in your mirror,so how are your 3 mirrorless bodies going.Sitting there owing you money...MEH!
Surely, it's five, Surfar, counting my Samsung Mini NX and Ricoh GR II.

The below pic is with the Sony A7 and Canon EF 28mm, haven't seen any actual photos from you lately, just the usual propaganda!

But in only two posts, you've told our new friend everything that needs to be known about you … faced by someone who's assessed their needs and come to a FF DSLR, we welcome them, you try to get them to give up their new purchase and push them onto some m43 job.

And that you can't count!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7  Photo 

Last edited by clackers; 05-29-2019 at 12:27 AM.
05-28-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Lots of friends here (and surprisingly few chuckleheads). Right Clackers?
Sure, you and I know each other now through FB as well, and Brett's definitely onboard with that Pentaxians group.