Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 08:31 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From Canon to Sony to Fuji but saving the best for last... Pentax?

Just finished a read of a camera voyage from a long-time photographer than ends with the K1 as the final destination. Quite a good article and offers a different perspective than some of us have seen written

How My Journey For a Perfect Camera Landed me on Pentax's Doorstep

In essence he's back to enjoying photography now, and understands why.

"I love that I’m not totally dependent on AI to help me get shots. Mirrorless cameras are great, but they’re not for me. They’re like autopilot for photographers; where’s the fun in that? I know that when I nail the shot with the Pentax K1 II, it was all me, and it’s so damn satisfying. I’ve finally found my perfect camera."

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-28-2019 at 08:51 AM.
05-28-2019, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Just finished a read of a camera voyage from a long-time photographer than ends with the K1 as the final destination. Quite a good article and offers a different perspective than some of us have seen written

How My Journey For a Perfect Camera Landed me on Pentax's Doorstep

In essence he's back to enjoying photography now, and understands why.
Some people are very hard to please! That must have been one very expensive road to Damascus.

Can't argue with the "K1 feels great" line though.
05-28-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just as I myself have alluded to many times.... a camera for people who know what they are doing or want to learn. For those who want to shoot on auto-pilot, there are better options. And he's so right about the part where the K-1 makes you just want to pick it up. It's a joy to hold. It turns out, even my K-3 is a bit small for my liking. Who knew?
05-28-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good read.

05-28-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

This guy is so right, this is the difference between my KP and my Lumix ZS-100. On Pentax, I use manual setting and need to think before clicking, preparing my shoot.
On my Lumix, it's my camera for the day I dont feel working hard. It's take great photos in my hands or my wife hands and she dont know anything about taking photos.
05-28-2019, 08:51 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice story. Next chapter: "I got bored of my Pentax K1 and..."
05-28-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
He does come across as that sort of guy, but I'll be happy to take the good press while it lasts.

05-28-2019, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #8

Is the moral of this story just that everyone should own about at least 10 different cameras?
05-28-2019, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Is the moral of this story just that everyone should own about at least 10 different cameras?
In fairness he says he sold off camera systems when buying into another.

In my own situation I've had several Pentax cameras in recent years, and still have a few of them. My most recent is a KP, and I think in hindsight I could have stopped at the K70 and been happy. Doesn't mean I'm not keeping an eye out for a K1 bargain tho, maybe selling that KP to do so. Everyone has their own goals for photography.
05-28-2019, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
"and.... I stopped photography". I know this happened to some guys who switched to Sony as their last camera just before dropping photography completely. As long as they could blame a camera model/brand for not being the cause of disappointing images, they could switch brands until they have owned all of them, then realized that the problem wasn't the camera but the user behind the camera, get bored and switched hobby.
05-28-2019, 10:24 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I like that he is positive about all systems as well about what he doesn't like.
He isn't the only one who actually tries the cameras and can say he likes the k1. Roger Cicala from lensrentals also uses a k1.
05-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

yea, seems like something that many pentaxians can relate to

I have also learned a lot by looking at my mistakes that I’v made with my Pentax. Feeling amused about new gear testers who shoot and are so thrilled about technical this and that. But there is nothing special in those shots. It has been done for the new gimmic. As said before. whit good tech, you can also improve, but it could also be that one just produces lot of technically perfect boring stuff. worst thing being that one get’s bored in process too.
05-28-2019, 10:28 AM - 6 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a first read, the writer may appear to be somewhat restless and impatient, having used eight different cameras across three brands and two formats, and having owned at least five of them prior to the K-1 II.

However, the overall tone and several remarks seem to speak to important core aspects of photography:
  • "Having fun with my photography again..."
  • "I got caught up in the numbers game created by marketing departments..."
  • "When I pick up the Pentax K-1 II, it just feels right."
The piece is a good testament to Pentax ergonomics, quality, usability, and classic lenses.

- Craig
05-28-2019, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Good article. Many of the things the author wrote about, why he likes the K1...resonate...to use a current buzz word...with me. I'm a long time Pentax owner. I've got other makes...Canon, Leica (old that I could afford ), Mamiya medium format Yashica, Ricoh etc...but the standby has always been Pentax over the past 50 years.

I find the AF speed, the focus, the resolution....you name it works very well for me...it seems to be fast enough, etc. Maybe my standards are not as high as the Canikon brigade. The most difficult test I put my K1 through...with my fast 50's, 100 Macro F 2.8 or even ,my 28-105...is taking pix of my very young, very fast moving grandson indoors, in available light. The K1 does a wonderful job...focus on his eye, move the camera to his moves, make sure I have my ISO up high...3200-6400...lens @ F 2 to F 3.2....aperture priority ...hit the shutter.

Works well.

Repeat.

My methodology is not new...just stuff I've 'discovered' over many years of trial and mostly error. When I reflect back on photography, I'm of the opinion that any skills I may have are due to shoot, shoot, shoot, try something different and see if the pix get better..over a long period. The Pentax gear itself works well...it's the photographer (me) that has improved.

As a result I agree with the author when he talks about believing marketing / advertising too much...about how the newest and latest can improve our photography, It's happened to me. So now I just try to practice and hone whatever skills I've developed through mucho practice..

I don't use a tripod as much as I used to, mostly hand held and I generally take my time with my shots unless it's a fast moving animal like a deer or pronghorn (do a lot of photography in Alberta/Saskatchewan) and my K5 and Sigma 150-500 seem to nail good shots consistently, not all the time, but pretty good most of the time.

I did look seriously at the Fuji line, tried out a few, like them...but in the end bought a Ricoh GR ll. I prefer my K1, K5 but I like the little GR for it's small carry every day ability and I'm learning on a daily basis on how to use the GR...to the best of my ability. The GR is very good, but different...and for me that's a learning process.
05-28-2019, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An antidote to the mockery surrounding the Ricoh execs comments about people returning to DSLRs - and so true - using the K-1 with Limited lenses (in particular) makes you (me ) feel like a photographer again.