Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #31

What I like about the Pentax is that it has great color and look, just as Canon and Fuji and KodakCCDs did. It’s not identical but it is still pleasant.

I could never get Sony cameras to look as effortlessly good as the others. The A9 and Venice color profile are apparently different though.

One of the underrated features of Pentax, and I blame Ricoh, is the JPEG engine. The ability to use three different sharpening algorithms and different contrast curves but in a simplified manner is actually very impressive but the manual doesn't explain these settings well.

In contrast, the Sony A7 III has extensive documentation for the picture profiles and the various gamma settings.

That would be a good follow up article. People like to shoot RAW but if your camera did it well in JPEG, it’s a great way to do things quickly.

The other interesting feature is the multi AutoWB.

05-29-2019, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #32

Reminds of the interview at Imaging Resource (if my memory serves me correctly) and how 'joy in photography' is mentioned more than once.

He maybe is on to something here 😊
05-29-2019, 02:41 AM - 4 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Thank you. I really appreciate that. I have been enjoying my time here immensely since joining. Now things are starting to settle down a bit in the writing world with The Phoblographer I intend to spend more time with you guys here in the forum.
I enjoyed your blog quite a bit. I have thought for a long time that "the experience" of photography is underrated as a reason why people continue to do it. Yes, it is about the destination (the image), but is also about having joy in the journey as well.

I'm sure a K-1 wouldn't give everyone else the same experience, but I'm definitely on the same page as you in this respect and still very much enjoy taking photos with my K-1 and K-1 II cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I enjoyed the read(and comments),good luck with the next stop on the camera journey.

Here is another guys experience.

Why I'm SWITCHING from FULL FRAME to MICRO FOUR THIRDS | PENTAX K1 to PANASONIC G9 - YouTube
Is your presence on the Forum to evangelize Pentaxians to mirrorless shooters or just to be a "Jeremiah" and correct the errors of our ways? I'm a bit unclear...
05-29-2019, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
I have been enjoying my time here immensely since joining.
Welcome! I have enjoyed reading the blog for several years.

05-29-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! I have enjoyed reading the blog for several years.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate the warm welcome.

---------- Post added 05-29-19 at 12:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I enjoyed your blog quite a bit. I have thought for a long time that "the experience" of photography is underrated as a reason why people continue to do it. Yes, it is about the destination (the image), but is also about having joy in the journey as well.

I'm sure a K-1 wouldn't give everyone else the same experience, but I'm definitely on the same page as you in this respect and still very much enjoy taking photos with my K-1 and K-1 II cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Originally posted by surfar*
I enjoyed the read(and comments),good luck with the next stop on the camera journey.
Is your presence on the Forum to evangelize Pentaxians to mirrorless shooters or just to be a "Jeremiah" and correct the errors of our ways? I'm a bit unclear...

Thanks so much for the kind words. I completely agree, the K1 / K1 II isn't for everyone, just like the Sony and Fujifilm's aren't for me. As long as people find a camera that feels like an extension of themselves it's all good. The experience of photography is a huge thing for me. Working in the field with my own photography business, and in the photography journalism business with the Phoblographers means taking photos for fun can seem like a chore at times. It is hard to mix a hobby and a business interest as the burn out is real, but no matter what, I enjoy using the K1 II so much that i get up at crazy hours to go and shoot for fun again now. I enjoy picking the camera up every time, and that feeling is priceless.

Last edited by brettday; 05-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
05-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for putting down in words your years long journey to Pentax. Was a good read. Have enjoyed my K-1 II since the moment the battery was charged.
05-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #37

Although for different reasons, I felt the same. Coming off Canon after many, many years onto Pentax, I suddenly realized how much fun I was having taking pictures and how much I had been missing before. Sure sometimes I got great pictures and more often than not, bad pictures, but regardless I had fun doing it.
I cannot pin point what it is about the Pentax cameras that make it so enjoyable for me to use. Sure, I lose the megapixel wars and the autofocus is apparently lousy, tracking sucks (or so I'm told), and so on and so on, but none of that matters when I'm having fun!