Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
...I would like, and I'm quietly confident we will one day see, a hybrid viewfinder that allows switching between optical and electronic views, and selective combination of elements from both. I would still need my A7 MkII (or other short registration mirrorless) for adapting rangefinder lenses, but in every other sense a hybrid viewfinder DSLR would cover my requirements handsomely
I couldn't agree more.

05-29-2019, 10:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why don't they just engineer a OVF DSLR with a sliding eyepiece. Slide it to the right to lift the mirror and expose a EVF?
05-30-2019, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Why don't they just engineer a OVF DSLR with a sliding eyepiece. Slide it to the right to lift the mirror and expose a EVF?
Because the part of the market that are like myself won't buy it. I suspect the part of the market happy with just and EVFs won't buy it either. I have all the info I need in my viewfinder already. That others need more will never affect my buying preferences.

Last edited by normhead; 06-01-2019 at 07:54 AM.
05-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Because the part of the market that are like myself won't buy it. I have all the info I need in my viewfinder already. That others need more will never affect my buying preferences.
how about focus peaking for manual focus lenses?

05-30-2019, 06:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

how about focus peaking for manual focus lenses?
That is available on my back screen in a form that I find acceptable, and quite useful, especially with the tilt screen. And I also have AF.c focus confirm through the viewfinder for MF. This is the issue with EVFs... you get a little in some areas, you lose a little in some areas, it's all nitpicking and personal preference.
05-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

A K-1 is already bulky enough; add an EVF to it - and some "sliding eyepiece" mechanism and it would become something I'm unwilling to buy.
05-30-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You stuck a 70mm lens I'm there. Put a Q on it.
Aww, now you have me bummed that the macro for the Q was never released

BTW, the lens for those 2 photos was the F 35-70 with the old Pentax Close-up Lens attached. Fairly small and stealthy.

05-30-2019, 09:15 AM   #23

I have a Pentax K1 and K3 and am seriously looking at a Sony a7RIII and I have large hands. The K1 is larger and heavy compared to the K3. I can somewhat hold the K1 with all my fingers on the body, while with the much lighter K3, my little finger is not on the body. I have the BG5 for the K3 and the BG6 for the K1. I like using the BG5 with the K3 for the ability to have my little finger on something for long shoots. I even use the K3's BG5 without a battery to decrease the weight.

I held and used the a7Riii and the body does remind me of the K3 in size. The K3 still feels better in my hand. The a7Riii does not feel as natural in my hands as the K1 or K3. With the a7Riii sized at the K3 and therefore lighter and less bulkier than the K1. With the a7Riii there is optionally a nice small "pinky" grip that allows my little finger to rest. I really liked this combo and not needing a bulkier battery grip. As mentioned by others earlier, all the Sony premium zoom or primes lenses are just as bulky as all other FF glass. However, I still love to use the small Pentax Limited primes on either the K1 or K3 bodies such as the FA31 and FA77. Macros with the D FA 100 works really well with the K1 and especially the K3 for lightness.

The reason for looking at the Sony a7Riii is for faster focus and better video and being able to use some of my large legacy library of Pentax glass.

Finally, a smaller camera body will have less room for easily accessible controls knobs with firm detents and buttons (hence the menus for the Sony?). I'd still really like to see the next generation Pentax K3ii cropped sensor DSLR!
05-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Aww, now you have me bummed that the macro for the Q was never released

BTW, the lens for those 2 photos was the F 35-70 with the old Pentax Close-up Lens attached. Fairly small and stealthy.
When I bought into the Q system, I thought it had been released. There were prototypes around etc, one or two came up for sale on eBay. I'm still bummed. I simply would never buy a system without macro capability.

Last edited by normhead; 05-30-2019 at 06:18 PM.
05-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
The reason for looking at the Sony a7Riii is for faster focus and better video and being able to use some of my large legacy library of Pentax glass.
There’s no question the Sony will have more capable video. Presumably you’ll be looking to use Sony/Zeiss glass to go with the faster AF performance.
05-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There’s no question the Sony will have more capable video. Presumably you’ll be looking to use Sony/Zeiss glass to go with the faster AF performance.
Yes, I would obtain some Sony/Zeiss glass to achieve the faster focus. I've been told the Sony 25mm/1.4 is really sweet.