Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #31

Original Poster
Well, I'm happy to say that the replacement 20-40 arrived yesterday. So my experience was that I ordered the lens (new, not used) from Adorama on April 24th and the autofocus on the lens I received didn't work. Additionally it had fingerprints on the glass, the packaging was damaged, and it was missing the lens bag and manual. I was quite impressed with the image quality as a walkaround lens with KP but obviously I wanted a functional lens so I set up a replacement with Adorama. Several weeks passed and they had returned the same lens, same damaged packaging, same issues. That's when I originally posted here. Now that another week has passed I received the new lens which they said came straight from the manufacturer since they were backordered for a while in May. This is when I realized that the lens was supposed to come with a bag and manual (I had previously just assumed that Pentax wasn't including the lens case and manual as a cost cutting measure). I'm pleased to report the autofocus works well. So all is resolved after a couple months and a few tries. I will say that Adorama had pretty good customer service and they were very apologetic when I explained to them that the second time around they just resent the lens I had just returned. All in all I'm pleased with the resolution, and it's been interesting reading accounts from other people as well.

06-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to hear all's well. Sorry you had to go thru the hassle; but now you have a great lens to enjoy!
06-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soundn8 Quote
All in all I'm pleased with the resolution,
Thanks for providing your update. Enjoy the lens, it's a treat (I got one recently).

I wonder if it would be useful if you could copy your update post and add it to your first post of this thread? That way, folks would read the resolution upfront.

- Craig
09-02-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by soundn8 Quote
I get that a lot of folks on here love Adorama and perhaps even consider them to be a legitimate company, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this:

I purchased a Pentax KP and DA20-40 lens in April as a travel camera opposite our K-1, which we love. We used the 20-40 for 3 days and it turned out that the AF was defective. Doesn't work at all. I returned the lens for a refund, and instead Adorama sent a "new" lens. However:

Adorama sent the exact same defective lens that I had just sent them. Not a different defective lens but literally the same copy that I just had. Doesn't this mean that all returned lenses just end up in their sales inventory again? Doesn't this mean they don't take defective gear seriously? These were the questions that I immediately had.

So I called them and the person on the phone was great and allowed a second return for a new lens. But the same person didn't seem at all surprised that I had been sent the same defective item that I had just returned. (Literally, it must have shown up and been unpackaged, placed on their shelf, and then sent back to me, with no testing or concern whatsoever. Lens was gone for less than 10 days total, including shipping time.)

So my question is, for those that know more about this than me, is this a common thing? Where can I go in 2019 to purchase new & unused if not directly form an authorized seller?

Thanks for your input,
Nate

UPDATE 6/29/2019: Well, I'm happy to say that the replacement 20-40 arrived yesterday. So my experience was that I ordered the lens (new, not used) from Adorama on April 24th and the autofocus on the lens I received didn't work. Additionally it had fingerprints on the glass, the packaging was damaged, and it was missing the lens bag and manual. I was quite impressed with the image quality as a walkaround lens with KP but obviously I wanted a functional lens so I set up a replacement with Adorama. Several weeks passed and they had returned the same lens, same damaged packaging, same issues. That's when I originally posted here. Now that another week has passed I received the new lens which they said came straight from the manufacturer since they were backordered for a while in May. This is when I realized that the lens was supposed to come with a bag and manual (I had previously just assumed that Pentax wasn't including the lens case and manual as a cost cutting measure). I'm pleased to report the autofocus works well. So all is resolved after a couple months and a few tries. I will say that Adorama had pretty good customer service and they were very apologetic when I explained to them that the second time around they just resent the lens I had just returned. All in all I'm pleased with the resolution, and it's been interesting reading accounts from other people as well.
Hi,

This is Nancy Miller----- the new Adorama Customer Service Ambassador.

I am happy to hear that your issue was resolved by our Customer Service Team. In the future, if you need any assistance, feel free to email me at nancym@adorama.com?

Thanks!

09-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Adorama kind of lost my respect with the KP fiasco last year. Made me jump through hoops to get what they promised to begin with, and in the end they still screwed it up.
09-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nancy Miller Quote
Hi,

I am happy to hear that your issue was resolved by our Customer Service Team. In the future, if you need any assistance, feel free to email me at nancym@adorama.com?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum Nancy.
Good to have you here.

Kind regards,
Mark
09-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I'm working on a project where I'm testing lots of inexpensive K mount lenses on my Pentax K-1 camera. In the last few weeks I purchased 14 older lenses on ebay. In each case, I did my due diligence, checking out the seller's feedback rating and asking them a few questions about the lens.
It has been getting worse over the years. Recently I had purchased a broken K series 28mm f3.5 that I was going to repair myself, was going to be a relatively simple repair. When I had received the lens it was in a barely padded envelope and the focus ring was completely smashed in. So instead of repairing a lens that was fine otherwise this thing gets destroyed by complete stupidity.

On a brighter note my 75-150 I bought was perfectly packaged and is in stellar shape.

09-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Adorama kind of lost my respect with the KP fiasco last year. Made me jump through hoops to get what they promised to begin with, and in the end they still screwed it up.

I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. Hopefully, you'll give us another chance in the future.
10-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Nancy,

Glad to see you on the forum. Your predecessor did a great deal to shore up Adorama's reputation when people had complaints. Hoping you will be able to be equally effective. Best wishes.
10-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nancy Miller Quote
Hi,

Thanks!
It is nice to have a contact active in the forum

I hope you will find the time to post on issues not directly related to Adorama