Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It then describes the ‘value’ to the manufacturers of the products sold consistently across also of them.
SO essentially, if the manufacturer is dumping product below cost to clear inventory, it would still have FOB value?

07-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO essentially, if the manufacturer is dumping product below cost to clear inventory, it would still have FOB value?
Yes, but technically the question is whether the Distributor accepted a ‘promotional payment’ from the Manufacturer and the product was FOB Full Price. The accounting isn’t perfect.

CIPA’s numbers do seem to show that MILC’s are shipping at higher average Unit Prices than SLR’s
07-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, if the manufacturer is willingly selling at a loss we would have no way of knowing... but then again neither would CIPA. As @monochrome said, it's the best they can do.

For what it's worth, it might be that the current margin on MILCs is comparable to DSLRs despite selling at two times the money due to increased R&D costs for the new FF systems... but I don't think we can have any way of knowing. Canon's R&D expenditure has been more or less stable since 2015, but it's possible that they shifted *everything* to the RF system so the extra money they make on a cheaper-to-make, more expensive body gets compensated by the ridiculous cost of developing the new hardware/software, buying or designing new components, etc...
07-06-2019, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, if the manufacturer is willingly selling at a loss we would have no way of knowing... but then again neither would CIPA. As @monochrome said, it's the best they can do.

For what it's worth, it might be that the current margin on MILCs is comparable to DSLRs despite selling at two times the money due to increased R&D costs for the new FF systems... but I don't think we can have any way of knowing. Canon's R&D expenditure has been more or less stable since 2015, but it's possible that they shifted *everything* to the RF system so the extra money they make on a cheaper-to-make, more expensive body gets compensated by the ridiculous cost of developing the new hardware/software, buying or designing new components, etc...
I think I need to go take some pictures.

07-06-2019, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With a fully depreciated mirrored camera.

Edit: My eyes are good today, so it is a manual lens / K-1 day for me.
07-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DHL delivered my "new" (to me) Pentax ME to the package station and I cannot go pick it up for another TWO HOURS [cries and cuddles the film roll that must now wait]
07-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Edit: My eyes are good today
Good, however, means:
- not seeing any of the EVFs issues
- not seeing any of the OVFs advantages

07-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I wasn't talking about subsidized phones. The monthly price includes the cost of the phone spread over 24 months, yes.
For a lot of people who aren't financially literate, having to pay $25 monthly looks cheaper then having to pay $500 upfront, while actually 24*$25 is more expensive than $500 (considering interest rate at 0%). How many people living off credit cards in the US, because each card is just a little more debt that looks affordable, while the grand total isn't.
When I got a new phone from Verizon 30-months ago, my rate did not go up, nor would it have gone down if I didn't get a new one. This month I did get a new phone, and my monthly bill will go up $7 next month; in 24 months it will go back down by $7 if I don't get another one. Their pricing structure has changed, and they seem to be required by FTC rules to explain how getting a new camera phone will affect billing; this change will affect sales of phones.
07-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #159
Pentaxian

It doesn't. But I do.

The eyes in this image are not where I want my the centre of the focal plane to be Let me know when they come out with "really nice butt" focus.

I'm not saying you focus on butts per se, I'm saying you find something you want to be the centre of your DoF, and you focus on that, even if it's a butt.

Eye AF= training wheels, unless you're a wedding photographer.
Looks like you are ready to sit in the "Rupert Chair of Photography" {academia talk}.
07-06-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thing I had my eyes fixed.
That won't prevent your genes from being passed on to future generations.

Besides, electronic displays have already damaged the eyesight of most of us who are over 30 and have done a number on the under 30 crowd as well. As soon as most households hired an electronic babysitter, humankind was doomed.
07-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #161
Pentaxian

With the two biggest camera makers both getting into the mirrorless market, that market is about to go through som major upheaval. It will be interesting to see how it play out.

I'll need lots of popcorn and a good comfy sofa.
Now that I have my KP and 55-300 PLM lens, I don't have any inclination to purchase anything else, so I'm inclined to become a spectator also. People can ignite their hair over EVF if they want to.
07-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Now that I have my KP and 55-300 PLM lens, I don't have any inclination to purchase anything else, so I'm inclined to become a spectator also. People can ignite their hair over EVF if they want to.
As I own a Leica Digital CL and Leica TL with EVFs, all I can say is, that the image is at times too bright as to what the conditions are and/or too dark as their is inadequate ambient light to trigger. However, the Pentaprism is a tried and true through the lens devise that I feel is the state of the art for viewfinder accuracy. Clearly, live view iOS a different story and the focus peaking on the CL is better than the K-1, but to me the tradeoffs are not worth it.

I know there are many people who will spout the attributes of EVF, but you are visualizing what a computer algorithm is providing you, not what your own eyes are transmitting to your brain....just saying.
07-10-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #163
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Only if mirrorless viewfinders improve exponentially.
To be fair to mirrorless, they are getting better. The EVF in my Fuji X-Pro1 was unusable. The one in my X-T1 is usable for short periods of time. I had a look at an X-T3 the other day, and with the viewfinder in high performance mode, it was OK for far longer than I expected. I still don’t like them as much as OVFs, but they do seem to be addressing the intense headache problem.
The downside of a usable EVF seems to be poor battery life. I can’t speak to other manufacturers as I am not familiar with how big their cameras are, but the Fujis are small bodies with small batteries. High refresh rate viewfinders are battery hogs. The Fujis are already hobbled by this fact, the power sucking high performance mode EVF takes battery life from barely acceptable to not acceptable.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 07-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.
07-10-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Being forced to make do with a super low-res mini-computerscreen in place of a real window is nothing that can ever be close to equal, let alone better.
Neither for houses nor for gadgets.

Except: Smartphone Zombies.
07-10-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #165
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The Fujis are already hobbled by this fact, the power sucking high performance mode EVF takes battery life from barely acceptable to not acceptable.
In high perf mode you have to attach a battery grip, then it's usable.
Closed Thread