Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm almost ashamed to say I own a Rebel...but it's a Rebel 2000, way after the "Image is everything" campaign...And I only own it because it was in a lot I bought this year...
Well, I know Canons are good cameras--I almost bought an FTb before I bought my Fujica ST801 back in 1972, I think it was. But that "Image is Everything" campaign turned my stomach.

I really don't understand, though, why Canon and Nikon have so many models available at the same time.

And while Nikon could have claimed they had users all around the globe, I think they were more "pro" oriented back in the '60s. Pentax cameras . . . anyone might have one. And I've heard they were preferred by some war and unit photographers in southeast Asia.

Very glad I have Pentax cameras and glass now--along with the ST801 and the four lenses I got way back when. . . .

Speaking of ads . . . I remember one particular Fujica magazine ad that showed an amber-hued lake scene with fog through the ST801's viewfinder, drawing attention to it's 7-LED metering display--that influenced my decision to by that camera. So while I find some ads repulsive, others I might find very persuasive.

---------- Post added 07-04-2019 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Do you notice that the little character on the Pentax girl's dress is the same one in the animated video?
I noticed that. And I just went back to look at it, hoping it was a five-sided figure, a pentagon, but it's not. Still, pretty cool graphic!

07-04-2019, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
And while Nikon could have claimed they had users all around the globe, I think they were more "pro" oriented back in the '60s. Pentax cameras . . . anyone might have one. And I've heard they were preferred by some war and unit photographers in southeast Asia.
Nikon's "consumer" camera was the Nikkormat (Nikomat). It came out in 1965, just a year after the Spotmatic, and featured open aperture metering. A Nikkormat with a 50/2 was about the same price as a Spotmatic with a 50/1.4...
07-04-2019, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nikon's "consumer" camera was the Nikkormat (Nikomat). It came out in 1965, just a year after the Spotmatic, and featured open aperture metering. A Nikkormat with a 50/2 was about the same price as a Spotmatic with a 50/1.4...
Oh, yes. The price may have been about the same as a Spotmatic, but it sure was heavier. A Nikkormat was my gateway to other Nikons back around 1989, and about ten years later I traded it as partial payment for a Beseler 23CIII XL with a Zone VI cold light head. Great camera, but I liked the FM better. If the Nikon D300 hadn't been so much bigger and heavier than the Pentax K-7, I may still have all my Nikkors. Instead, I've got a collection of Pentax glass and cameras. It's a switch I haven't regretted, not once.
07-05-2019, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Zone VI cold light head.
Yes! Did you also have their fabulous auto adjusting developing timer that sped up or slowed down according to the temperature readout from the probe? So cool. And Zone VI graded paper? Quick story: I borrowed a then new Fuji GSW690III from a pro shop here to run a roll of film through. Developed it, and came back in to return the camera and show the results, printed on the Zone VI paper. A really terrific photographer who worked there was looking at my results. He got a strange look on his face, and started to tip and turn the print in his hands, and his expression got more concentrated.

Then he exclaimed "What is this paper !!!???"

Made Seagull and everything else look like Salisbury Steak as opposed to Filet Mignon.

07-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes! Did you also have their fabulous auto adjusting developing timer that sped up or slowed down according to the temperature readout from the probe? So cool. And Zone VI graded paper? Quick story: I borrowed a then new Fuji GSW690III from a pro shop here to run a roll of film through. Developed it, and came back in to return the camera and show the results, printed on the Zone VI paper. A really terrific photographer who worked there was looking at my results. He got a strange look on his face, and started to tip and turn the print in his hands, and his expression got more concentrated.

Then he exclaimed "What is this paper !!!???"

Made Seagull and everything else look like Salisbury Steak as opposed to Filet Mignon.
I had the compensating enlarger time, but I sold it and the Zone VI head to help pay for a guitar. Fitting, I suppose, because I sold a guitar 20-some years ago to fund the construction of a darkroom in the basement. I still have their darkroom light, though.

It's been a while since I printed in the darkroom, so I'm not sure what paper I was using. I know it was fiber, though. Back then, I could stay down there for hours and hours.

There's a question . . . if Zone VI had had TV ads, what would they have been like? (Not a serious question.)
07-05-2019, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #21
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I know Canons are good cameras--I almost bought an FTb before I bought my Fujica ST801 back in 1972, I think it was. But that "Image is Everything" campaign turned my stomach.

I really don't understand, though, why Canon and Nikon have so many models available at the same time.

Very glad I have Pentax cameras and glass now--along with the ST801 and the four lenses I got way back when. . . .

Speaking of ads . . . I remember one particular Fujica magazine ad that showed an amber-hued lake scene with fog through the ST801's viewfinder, drawing attention to it's 7-LED metering display--that influenced my decision to by that camera. So while I find some ads repulsive, others I might find very persuasive.
I still have my ST-801, ST-901 an AZ-1 with auto winder. They all still work along with my EBC lenses. If Fuji ever builds a Fuji m42 to x-mount adapter, once my K-3II dies and Ricoh fails to come up with decent follow on, I may have to switch back
07-06-2019, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had the compensating enlarger time, but I sold it and the Zone VI head to help pay for a guitar. Fitting, I suppose, because I sold a guitar 20-some years ago to fund the construction of a darkroom in the basement. I still have their darkroom light, though.

It's been a while since I printed in the darkroom, so I'm not sure what paper I was using. I know it was fiber, though. Back then, I could stay down there for hours and hours.

There's a question . . . if Zone VI had had TV ads, what would they have been like? (Not a serious question.)
Well....they would have been B&W, we know that for sure....